Cats friggin stink!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Triumph
I've been in a lot more houses that stink because of dogs than because of cats.

Seriously.. I've never been in a home that stood out in the smell department because of cats, but there were some houses I've been in where I couldn't wait to leave because it stunk of dog(s) sooo much.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Pepsei
have both cats and dogs.... and dogs are the ones that smells badly if you don't give it a bath often.

now, if dogs can self clean, i'd allow them to be master of the house too.

haha :thumbsup::beer:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
it's their excrement that stinks, not the cats themselves.

also tell your sister to clean the litter boxes and get them fixed so they won't mark things.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: RaistlinZ
House that smells badly of cats = bad owners.

Don't blame it on the cats.

yep....my brother's family has 5 cats in his house, you wouldn't know they were there unless you see one.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
My sister has three cats, and the smell of them permeates the entire house. I went to stay with her this weekend and gawd it was disgusting! They mark everything, and even though she has a litter box, the whole house, including clothes, smells like a sesspool. Ack, barf, puke! How could anyone ever think fucking cats are that important?

How could someone think anyone was important that uses one example?

Your sister should not be owning animals.

I have never seen/heard anyone with three cats marking a house except for those that are insane or those that live in filth already.

-1/10

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
My sister has three cats, and the smell of them permeates the entire house. I went to stay with her this weekend and gawd it was disgusting! They mark everything, and even though she has a litter box, the whole house, including clothes, smells like a sesspool. Ack, barf, puke! How could anyone ever think fucking cats are that important?

...that's the smell of territory.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Unless you have one of those 'furless' cats you are breathing/eating dander and cat fur. I won't have that in my home, the personal psychic pleasure you are able to procure from a cat/dog doesn't outweigh the nastiness of breathing/eating their fur/skin.

Rogo

Tencntraze

Aug 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Rogodin2
Unless you have one of those 'furless' cats you are breathing/eating dander and cat fur. I won't have that in my home, the personal psychic pleasure you are able to procure from a cat/dog doesn't outweigh the nastiness of breathing/eating their fur/skin.

Rogo

On the same logic, you're also breathign/eating all of the dead skin that you give off and will also float around. Better not let people around your house or you'll be eating their skin too!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Tencntraze

Rogo

On the same logic, you're also breathign/eating all of the dead skin that you give off and will also float around. Better not let people around your house or you'll be eating their skin too!

Let's not even get into the fact that there a more bacterial cells than human cells in and on the human body.... so that's not just your guests' dead skin you're breathing/eating. :Q

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
The only thing that smells around my apartment is nooks and crannies that I don't clean as often as I should. Those end up collecting a lot of cat hair and when I go to vacuum them they do smell a bit. Not like putrid wet dog type smell, just a noticeable "dead cat fur" smell.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

meow

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
the only time you will smell any of our cays is if you go next to teh box after they take a crap,

every now and then they fart like dogs, but are generally orderless

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
It's fine for people to not like cats, but some of the comments in this thread are beyond stupid :roll: We have 2 cats and they do not control us nor are we their slaves. They do not smell, at all, and I make a point to ask people this. We don't have a lot of people over very often, but I always ask if they can smell the cats or the litter box because I am afraid I am conditioned to it. They always say "no, not at all" or something similar. My wife and I aren't used to the smell because when it does start to drift out of the bathroom, it hits ours noses and I clean it right then and there.

I am actually in the process of training my cats to shit/piss in the toilet, and so far it is going extremely well. I love my dog, but dogs in general couldn't figure this out if the world depended on it. I am soon to have a completely odorless house (the whole thing is odorless except for the bathroom, and only when the litter is > 5 days old). It has been 2 days of training and they are progressing far faster than any of the books say they should. Even slow cats can be trained to use the toilet in under 2 weeks, which really isn't bad at all. It's also good training for learning how to take care of kids because you need to be in tune to their needs since they are completely reliant on you. I :heart: my kitties.

mjrpes3

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2004

Rogo

Mysophobia. Look it up.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, today things make more sense. Apparently, there are cats who come into the yard. When one of her male cats sees another cat in the yard, it goes nuts and actually urinates in places it shouldn't. That and the fact she is a flight attendant, gone for days on end, explains why the litter box builds up. I guess if she's happy with it, it's her house. :roll:

She also puts food out for the other cats in the neighborhood. I think sis is well on her way to becoming a crazy cat lady. :shocked:

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006

Keeping a house with cats clean and odor-free is simple. The only reason a house would smell badly would be if she's not properly caring for both her home and her animals.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Eli
It is not the cats' fault your sister lives like a slob. :)

Cats are some of the cleanest, least smelliest animals on the planet. You've never been into a house that has an indoor dog?

qfmft. Dogs STINK like crazy. If you pet a dog, and smell your hand, guess what? It smells of dog, which stinks.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: DrPizza
It's the males that usually mark things, and sometimes, when there's more than 2 or 3 cats, they don't like to share the litter box.

Thats why you should have # cats +1 litter boxes.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Maybe she should get some cats that don't piss all over the house. My cat doesn't stink...the dog on the other hand, she reeks.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: dug777
Interesting, because I've got a few friends who can't stand cats, and when challenged, they were forced to concede that our house smelt of neither, and that the cat did not actually smell of anything (I actually made them smell her) ;)

:laugh:
That's a great mental image...
/pictures dug standing there holding a cat in front of a guest saying "Go on, have a whiff, mate!"

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Everything said so far about cats being clean, should be fixed, and your sister not taking care of them and being a slob is the truth. It is also hard to stop once it has started. Tell her to clean EVERYTHING! I don't just mean pick up the whole place. I mean seriously get on her hand and knees and use cleaning products on all carpet, floors, counters, furniture...everything. Her place probably needs it with out without the cats anyways. Once she is done cleaning, tell her to work hard to keep it that way. Make sure those litter boxes are sifted daily and that you change the litter often. If any of the cats piss or shit anywhere in the mean time then clean it right away and make sure the scent is completely removed. You can also give all the cats a bath which should help, but that isn't quite as necessary since they bathe themselves.

Cats pissing everywhere equals:

Filthy litter box
Messy living environments
Being generally unhappy with life

Those three lead to marking territories. Fix it.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Rogo

Hm... haven't studies shown that having an animal around helps the elderly live longer?