Cats friggin stink!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Everything said so far about cats being clean, should be fixed, and your sister not taking care of them and being a slob is the truth. It is also hard to stop once it has started. Tell her to clean EVERYTHING! I don't just mean pick up the whole place. I mean seriously get on her hand and knees and use cleaning products on all carpet, floors, counters, furniture...everything. Her place probably needs it with out without the cats anyways. Once she is done cleaning, tell her to work hard to keep it that way. Make sure those litter boxes are sifted daily and that you change the litter often. If any of the cats piss or shit anywhere in the mean time then clean it right away and make sure the scent is completely removed. You can also give all the cats a bath which should help, but that isn't quite as necessary since they bathe themselves.

Cats pissing everywhere equals:

Filthy litter box
Messy living environments
Being generally unhappy with life

Those three lead to marking territories. Fix it.

Automatic litter boxes work wonders for people like this. Cats smell where they previously pissed and will continue to do so. Xavier is right - she needs to completely clean her place and have a cleaning service do the carpets. Sprinkling pepper around the trouble areas also helps as cats do not like the smell and usually always sniff around before they go.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: Rogodin2
Unless you have one of those 'furless' cats you are breathing/eating dander and cat fur. I won't have that in my home, the personal psychic pleasure you are able to procure from a cat/dog doesn't outweigh the nastiness of breathing/eating their fur/skin.

Rogo

Hm... haven't studies shown that having an animal around helps the elderly live longer?

Having pets in the home around young kids also makes them less alergic to them as adults.

Rogo being the self absorbed naturalist that he is should know that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
hmm, my nose is usually so full of snot by the time i actually see the cat i can't tell if it stinks or not. I hate cats!

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Yeah, I'm going to agree with the others here and say your sister doesn't know what the hell shes doing with these cats. My parents have 2 cats at their place and the house always smells good.

Plus cats are so cuddly and cute! :p

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I have three cats right now. The most I have had at one time is four. I never have odors in the house with two litter boxes changed once per day except on the rare occasions one of the idiots forgets to bury their deposit. :).

What I have found in many situations is people think only to change the box when it's 'full'...by that time the cat(s) are already avoiding it. The last thing they want to do is put a paw in their crap or urine.

Once a cat learns that it's better to go outside their box, it's hard to recondition them.

mjrpes3

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: G Wizard
ive never seen a cat drag its asshole across the carpet.

Actually they will do that out of desperation. My family had an obese cat that couldn't lick itself in the nether regions, so it was forced to drag its ass on the carpet, leaving nice brown streaks. Remember... cats will do anything to keep themselves clean. :)

Newfie

Jun 15, 2005
My cat is the cleanest thing in my house.

The dog however, is a stinky, disobedient, PITA that pisses everywhere and eats it's own foot.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Newfie
My cat is the cleanest thing in my house.

The dog however, is a stinky, disobedient, PITA that pisses everywhere and eats it's own foot.

oh yeah... having a dog is good for reminding me to clean the cat box often...so that the dog wouldn't eat the nugget.....

yuck...

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Yea, cats are clean animals. If you weren't allergic, you couldn't tell I had a cat. My dog, on the other hand, well, Newfie said it best:
Originally posted by: Newfie

Originally posted by: ebaycj
I kick cats.

Well, aren't you just a ray of sunshine?

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Syrch
hmm, my nose is usually so full of snot by the time i actually see the cat i can't tell if it stinks or not. I hate cats!

Felisity

Sep 1, 2002
Originally posted by: dug777
Our fixed female kitty never marks anything, doesn't smell at all, and our house doesn't have any 'cat smell' about it.

We keep a litter tray for her in the laundry (changed regularly, with odour absorbing litter), but she mainly does her business outside.

So quit generalising, you whiny little bitch :p

:thumbsup:

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Um, I have two cats in an apartment and they don't stink at all.

You have to just clean out their litter box on a regular basis and make sure they're fixed so they don't "mark"

My brother in law rents a room in some girls house and she has two cats, she never ever cleans their litter boxes, which she keeps in the garage and the smell from that is so over powering that I can't stomach to be in there.

In conclusion, you sister doesn't take care of the cats litter box and likely as a result they piss all over the house since cats will only use a dirty litter box for so long.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: mjrpes3

Actually they will do that out of desperation. My family had an obese cat that couldn't lick itself in the nether regions, so it was forced to drag its ass on the carpet, leaving nice brown streaks. Remember... cats will do anything to keep themselves clean. :)

Dogs and kids will do this too.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Blayze
I guess its where I'm allergic to them, but I can smell a cat as soon as I enter someones house if they have one.

I've had people say that too. It's always quite fun when my cat comes out and shocks them because they're sure that my house doesn't have any animals since they can't smell any.

ZV

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: mjrpes3
Unless you have one of those 'furless' cats you are breathing/eating dander and cat fur. I won't have that in my home, the personal psychic pleasure you are able to procure from a cat/dog doesn't outweigh the nastiness of breathing/eating their fur/skin.

Rogo

Mysophobia. Look it up.

Unfortunately people shed far more 'dander' than any pet would.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Can't say I have either, but I don't think it would be improbable having seen dogs and a kid do it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

Rogo

Hm... haven't studies shown that having an animal around helps the elderly live longer?

The studies have shown pets have improved almost all demographics lives. I am a little biased being into zoology, but I don't think I could live life without a pet or someone close to me having one I can interact with.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: j00fek
the cat box is the worst, thats why i dont have cats

Actually with three cats and two boxes and cleaning once per day each it's not bad with pine litter.

What my method is is to first tip everything to one corner. Then I use a wide slotted scoop to sift out the solids. The pine dries it out well and absorbs any odors. I move everything to a 1 gallon plastic bag. Now I use the wide slot scoop to scoop up litter and try and shake out all the powder from the urine into another corner of the box. I then take the majority of the pellets left in the scoop and dump them in another corner of the box.

I repeat this until I have one pile of powder/pellets and another pile of clean pellets.

Then I switch to One of these wire strainers, I use a medium sized one that can fit inside the gallon bag. I then take scoops up from the corner of pellets/powder and sift out the urine powder.

When I am done the litter is almost perfectly clean.

If people let the box go too long it gets to be a mess and the cats start going on the sides of the box.

About once every season I clean the boxes fully with mild bleach.