Cats friggin stink!

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
My sister has three cats, and the smell of them permeates the entire house. I went to stay with her this weekend and gawd it was disgusting! They mark everything, and even though she has a litter box, the whole house, including clothes, smells like a sesspool. Ack, barf, puke! How could anyone ever think fucking cats are that important?

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Our fixed female kitty never marks anything, doesn't smell at all, and our house doesn't have any 'cat smell' about it.

We keep a litter tray for her in the laundry (changed regularly, with odour absorbing litter), but she mainly does her business outside.

So quit generalising, you whiny little bitch :p

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Nah it's just your sister's cat. Cat's generally smell much nicer than dogs because they groom themselves so much.
My cat is absolutely odorless, and if anything, they smell kind of good! They're much better to pet than dogs because you don't get this residue on your hands after you stroke them.
Who the heck would own a cat that marks things anyways?

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
sounds to me like someone is lazy when it comes to taking care of their cats.

Cats by nature are very clean animals, if there is the smell of shit in the house, then someone is not cleaning the litter boxes.

If the smell of urine is overwhelming, then again someone is not cleaning the litter boxes or the cat(s) are marking or urinating where they should not be, that is caused by either a behavior issue or a health issue.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It is not the cats' fault your sister lives like a slob. :)

Cats are some of the cleanest, least smelliest animals on the planet. You've never been into a house that has an indoor dog?

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
I guess its where I'm allergic to them, but I can smell a cat as soon as I enter someones house if they have one.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Sounds like your sister is more of the slob than the cat. As for smelling? Yeah I love the smell of those short-haried oily dogs when I walk into peoples house....mmmmm...good.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
i have had cats most of my life and none of them have smelled. i am going to have to agree with others in the opinion that your sister is the problem. now dogs are another story, almost all of them smell horribly, especially when wet.

cats clean themselves very thouroughly from head to toe, unlike dogs who only seem to lick their nuts.

crosshairs

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2007
Originally posted by: Eli
It is not the cats' fault your sister lives like a slob. :)

Cats are some of the cleanest, least smelliest animals on the planet. You've never been into a house that has an indoor dog?

QFT...

ppdes

May 16, 2004
I can always tell when there's a cat as well. It is funny how the cat's slave...er...owner gets used to it and doesn't notice.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
It's the males that usually mark things, and sometimes, when there's more than 2 or 3 cats, they don't like to share the litter box.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: ppdes
I can always tell when there's a cat as well. It is funny how the cat's slave...er...owner gets used to it and doesn't notice.

You may be able to 'tell' because you are allergic to it, but there's certainly no 'smell' of cat in a household that takes proper care of their cat.

Dogs are smelly fellas tho ;)

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Our fixed female kitty never marks anything, doesn't smell at all, and our house doesn't have any 'cat smell' about it.

Nah it's just your sister's cat. Cat's generally smell much nicer than dogs because they groom themselves so much.
My cat is absolutely odorless, and if anything, they smell kind of good! They're much better to pet than dogs because you don't get this residue on your hands after you stroke them.

Cats by nature are very clean animals, if there is the smell of shit in the house, then someone is not cleaning the litter boxes.

If the smell of urine is overwhelming, then again someone is not cleaning the litter boxes or the cat(s) are marking or urinating where they should not be, that is caused by either a behavior issue or a health issue.

It is not the cats' fault

I have to agree with all those statements.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've been in a lot more houses that stink because of dogs than because of cats.

Delta6Echo

Jun 1, 2007
Originally posted by: dug777

We keep a litter tray for her in the laundry (changed regularly, with odour absorbing litter), but she mainly does her business outside.

I guarantee you that your house smells like cat and if there is that off chance that I am wrong, it at least has that litter box smell, both of which you are used to.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: ppdes

LOL, this all too true.
Cats are the true masters of the home.

I love that look they give when you want them to do something.

That said, I never had a smelly house because of cats.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
I adopted a cat. He would get into my cabinets and knock over all my food. He is not here now.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Delta6Echo

I guarantee you that your house smells like cat and if there is that off chance that I am wrong, it at least has that litter box smell, both of which you are used to.

Interesting, because I've got a few friends who can't stand cats, and when challenged, they were forced to concede that our house smelt of neither, and that the cat did not actually smell of anything (I actually made them smell her) ;)

The litter tray is kept well out of the main area, in the laundry, it's odour absorbing, it's changed regularly, and she barely uses it, so no, I don't think our house has the litter box smell either ;)

Have you ever actually smelled a cat? No detectable odour, even right up close, if it's taking care of itself...

EDIT: I can't see this being a constructive thread, whatever anyone (myself included) posts. Lots of people hate cats, and I wish them all the best with that. If you're ever in Perth, Western Australia, you're welcome to drop by and see if you can smell cat or cat litter in our house, but I think you'll be disappointed :)

Delta6Echo

Jun 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Delta6Echo

Interesting, because I've got a few friends who can't stand cats, and when challenged, they were forced to concede that our house smelt of neither, and that the cat did not actually smell of anything (I actually made them smell her) ;)

The litter tray is kept well out of the main area, in the laundry, it's odour absorbing, it's changed regularly, and she barely uses it, so no, I don't think our house has the litter box smell either ;)

Have you ever actually smelled a cat? No detectable odour, even right up close, if it's taking care of itself...

EDIT: I can't see this being a constructive thread, whatever anyone (myself included) posts. Lots of people hate cats, and I wish them all the best with that. If you're ever in Perth, Western Australia, you're welcome to drop by and see if you can smell cat or cat litter in our house, but I think you'll be disappointed :)

Yes, I got my ex a cat and the smell was always there.....which is why I let her have it.

mattocs

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2005
I have a year and a half male cat and a 12 and a half year old female. Both are fixed, and they mark nothing.

My house smells because of the damn smelly dog.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Wheezer

:thumbsup:

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
have both cats and dogs.... and dogs are the ones that smells badly if you don't give it a bath often.

now, if dogs can self clean, i'd allow them to be master of the house too.