Career crossroads.......

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: elmro
Originally posted by: z0mb13
Originally posted by: elmro
Originally posted by: z0mb13
take the NY job, live in brooklyn to avoid the city tax
What? I live in Brooklyn and have to pay the ~3% NYC tax. (Brooklyn is one of the 5 boroughs of New York City).
i thought the city tax is only if u live in manhattan...
No, I definitely pay it. It comes out of all my paychecks. I even double-checked the tax website just to make sure I should be paying it because of what you said.
"Every income-earning individual who resides in New York City and every estate and trust must pay New York City personal income tax. "
As I mentioned before, New York City is made up of 5 boroughs (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, and the Bronx).
This is gonna make me sound really stupid, but where is Greenwich Village?

Manhattan (at the bottom)

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
I'd go to North Carolina any day of the week over NYC. Crime, smog, traffic, bad weather, and high cost of living are just a few things off the top of my head. If you think there is nothing to do in NC, you obviously haven't been there. Drinking and going out on the town isn't exactly the most fun thing to do for a lot of people, and other than that, what does NYC have to offer? I've been there once and will never go back if I can help it. Being in a city where I can ride my bike or drive my car, both being an effective way to commute, and having mountains nearby is more fun every day of the week.

Hahahahah!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

<breathe/>

HAhahaha!!!!!!!!!

WTF are you smoking? Drinking and going out on the two appear the only things you can do in NC, or so I hear from my sister-in-law who works down there. There's not even much town to go out on there. Oooh, lots of chain restaurants, exciting! :roll: NYC has a ridiculously huge cultural edge on almost anywhere in the USA. Food, museums, music, you name it. Plus to say that crime is a problem in NYC for someone getting paid $170k/year is completely, utterly clueless. There's still plenty of crime in the PJs but in general, it's not a serious every day problem for most NYers. Smog, well, you may have something there, but not really compared to most big cities. To be honest, unless you live in the South Bronx, which is littered with highways, it's not a big deal. Transpo? I ride a bike to work nearly every day, 14-15 miles each way IN the city. Driving is not even necessary but at $170k/year, parking is not a problem if you want a car. Having the mountains nearby must be nice in NC but hey, we have the Appalachian Trail too, you know.

Anyway... my advice? NYC all the way. Take the money and live it up.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I live in Manhattan and between my wife and I we make a little more than that amount (as base, +bonus is different). We live very well, while it's only a 750sqft apartment, it's doorman, elevator in a brand new building in the UWS. We also pay a ton of money in student loans, something she won't have to contend with. We are able to save a lot of money (I max 401k out as does my wife) and we go on trips all of the time (I was in MN last week, we are going to Vegas this weekend, Maui in the fall). My commute is ~30m to midtown, my wife's is about 20m to 14th street. 170k with no loans would be a sh!t-ton of fun here.

Sure, the city is a bit dirty, smelly, but it's also a lot of fun. Going to the Top of the Rock with friends at night, going out to pubs, trying different places to eat...etc, are all a lot of fun. Parks, Lincoln Center, movies, plays, musicals, shows, monuments, different neighborhood areas. It's all a blast. People say there is crime, whatever. I have no worries about walking in the UWS at 11pm or 1am. Random crap happens everywhere, but in almost all cases, you are pretty dang safe on the island. You only have to walk a block or two to see a cop, or multiple ones, whether driving or walking.

Long-term, NYC is a much better decision. Just the fact that the job probably carries more prestige even being in NYC is going to make a huge factor in her career going forward. The whole "put money into a house to build equity" is a bullcrap excuse made up by people who have little financial sense and listen to too many NAR/MBA press releases.

Buy a house for a place to live and security, don't buy it to build wealth or invest.

NYC all of the way.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: oboeguy
I'd go to North Carolina any day of the week over NYC. Crime, smog, traffic, bad weather, and high cost of living are just a few things off the top of my head. If you think there is nothing to do in NC, you obviously haven't been there. Drinking and going out on the town isn't exactly the most fun thing to do for a lot of people, and other than that, what does NYC have to offer? I've been there once and will never go back if I can help it. Being in a city where I can ride my bike or drive my car, both being an effective way to commute, and having mountains nearby is more fun every day of the week.

Hahahahah!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

<breathe/>

HAhahaha!!!!!!!!!

WTF are you smoking? Drinking and going out on the two appear the only things you can do in NC, or so I hear from my sister-in-law who works down there. There's not even much town to go out on there. Oooh, lots of chain restaurants, exciting! :roll: NYC has a ridiculously huge cultural edge on almost anywhere in the USA. Food, museums, music, you name it. Plus to say that crime is a problem in NYC for someone getting paid $170k/year is completely, utterly clueless. There's still plenty of crime in the PJs but in general, it's not a serious every day problem for most NYers. Smog, well, you may have something there, but not really compared to most big cities. To be honest, unless you live in the South Bronx, which is littered with highways, it's not a big deal. Transpo? I ride a bike to work nearly every day, 14-15 miles each way IN the city. Driving is not even necessary but at $170k/year, parking is not a problem if you want a car. Having the mountains nearby must be nice in NC but hey, we have the Appalachian Trail too, you know.

Anyway... my advice? NYC all the way. Take the money and live it up.

Sorry but I can't read on after such a stupid introduction in a post like this. If you have a differing view/opinion, feel free to express it without being such an immature idiot :roll:

Clearly I was being short with my words about NYC as there is obviously more to do than drink, but you couldn't connect the dots. Read it again and see where the preference lies and then maybe you won't make such stupid comments in the future.

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
Well the cost of living in Manhattan is obviously going to be astronomical compared to other places. You can look at living out of Manhattan though (Staten Island if you're into the suburban scene, Brooklyn for something lively, etc) and just commute to work.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
I live in Manhattan and between my wife and I we make about that same amount (base, bonus is different). We live very well, while it's only a 750sqft apartment, it's doorman, elevator in a brand new building in the UWS. We also pay a ton of money in student loans, something she won't have to contend with. We are able to save a lot of money (I max 401k out as does my wife) and we go on trips all of the time (I was in MN last week, we are going to Vegas this weekend, Maui in the fall). My commute is ~30m to midtown, my wife's is about 20m to 14th street.

Sure, the city is a bit dirty, smelly, but it's also a lot of fun. Going to the Top of the Rock with friends at night, going out to pubs, trying different places to eat...etc, are all a lot of fun. Parks, Lincoln Center, movies, plays, musicals, shows, monuments, different neighborhood areas. It's all a blast.

Long-term, NYC is a much better decision. Just the fact that the job probably carries more prestige even being in NYC is going to make a huge factor in her career going forward. The whole "put money into a house to build equity" is a bullcrap excuse made up by people who have little financial sense and listen to too many NAR/MBA press releases.

Buy a house for a place to live and security, don't buy it to build wealth or invest.

NYC all of the way.

750sq. ft.? Holy shit :roll:

I don't need a 15,000 sq. ft. palace, but my dorm room was high 300s. I could never imagine coming "home" to my current living room and kitchen, and that being the extent of my living space.

You are probably correct about her career having more strength in NYC. If that is her whole focus in life, then NYC is the better choice, but a lot of people aren't like that. I'd much rather have less money and a nicer neighborhood for my kids to grow up in.

I won't get into a huge debate here, but this isn't very accurate. Buying a home can be an investment based on your situation.

sindows

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2005
If I were your sister, I would take the NYC job without a single doubt in my mind even if the salaries were reversed. There are just so many more opputunities in the city that you can't get in NC. NYC is the financial capital of the world and that opens the door to so many experiences that you couldn't get in Raliegh.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Obviously the cost of living is higher in NYC, but not by a big enough margin to make these two options equivalent.
If she had a family and really wanted a 4 bdrm house in a nice neighborhood with a yard, then Raleigh would probably be the right choice. Otherwise, she's going to live better on 170k in NYC than 98k in Raleigh. According to this website, assuming she lives in NYC, here is what the monthly paychecks would look like:
North Carolina:
gross - 8166
net - 5317
New York:
gross - 14166
net - 8234

So even if she pays $2k/month for an apartment in NY, she'll have more money to spend and save than in NC.

If I were single, I'd take the NYC job in a heartbeat.

plus, she can soften the tax hit a bit by doing things like putting money in an IRA and maxing out her 401k.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I live in Manhattan and between my wife and I we make about that same amount (base, bonus is different). We live very well, while it's only a 750sqft apartment, it's doorman, elevator in a brand new building in the UWS. We also pay a ton of money in student loans, something she won't have to contend with. We are able to save a lot of money (I max 401k out as does my wife) and we go on trips all of the time (I was in MN last week, we are going to Vegas this weekend, Maui in the fall). My commute is ~30m to midtown, my wife's is about 20m to 14th street.

Sure, the city is a bit dirty, smelly, but it's also a lot of fun. Going to the Top of the Rock with friends at night, going out to pubs, trying different places to eat...etc, are all a lot of fun. Parks, Lincoln Center, movies, plays, musicals, shows, monuments, different neighborhood areas. It's all a blast.

NYC all of the way.

750sq. ft.? Holy shit :roll:

I don't need a 15,000 sq. ft. palace, but my dorm room was high 300s. I could never imagine coming "home" to my current living room and kitchen, and that being the extent of my living space.

You are probably correct about her career having more strength in NYC. If that is her whole focus in life, then NYC is the better choice, but a lot of people aren't like that. I'd much rather have less money and a nicer neighborhood for my kids to grow up in.

1. 750 is actually enough for two people and two cats. We went from a 1,100@850 in Miami to 1,300$1,200 in Orlando, to 1,500@1,875 in Reston VA, to 750@2900 in NYC, we were used to bigger places, but really, once you settle down into it, a lot of stuff you carry with you is extraneous.

We have a 52" tv, a 5.1 surround system, a large tv stand, two large book cases, and a queen bed, along with 3 dressers, a sofa/sleeper and a big chair. We still have plenty of room to walk around, it's actually very cozy. I can cook very well in the kitchen, still make my mom's lasangna that takes hours to cook.

Within a 10-block radius there's about 50 places to eat, 4 grocery stores, Lincoln Center (going to see John Williams in September), a movie theater, a B&N, Bed Bath an Beyond, Talbots for my wife, Pottery Barn, the river to bike next to, a large parking lot we can rent a car in (zip cars FTW...remember you don't need a car in the city, big savings there).

Not to mention the subway is 5 blocks away @ Columbus Circle = go anywhere for the 76/mo for an unlimited pass.

2. Did he say she had kids? I'd never raise kids here. However, a 20/30 something with no kids would have an awesome time here. I think we'll stay here for about 2 total years, then move somewhere outside of the city. Maybe Rye or Greenwich, commute of 30-45min on an express train.

3. Do not think about this as the short-term thing. Long-term, you cannot go wrong with living in NYC in business. I work for an international i-bank, the prestige of being in NYC alone will propel my career quite a bit.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

I won't get into a huge debate here, but this isn't very accurate. Buying a home can be an investment based on your situation.

On average, homes appreciate at less than .20% annually over inflation. That's an investment in a government bond, nothing more.

If you strive for government bond returns for 30 years, then go right ahead.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
I think it depends on who she works for . . . .

If she works for BOA, Walk-all-over-yah or B B & T and the NC position has a better track to HQ then it's NC all the way.

Raliegh ain't so bad - it's a suburb of Chapel Hill - :Q

Edit - btw

We like Yankees . . . .

They're tasty

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
this is a no brainer. Get decent housing outside manhattan with a reasonable rent. Then Buy a property in the country.

aldamon

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
I live in Durham, NC. I would take the NYC job for $170K. NC is an upgrade for a lot of people looking for better jobs, weather, family living, and superficial amenities, but I think NYC is sexier and just more alive for a single person. Also, like someone else said, international air travel out of Raleigh is pathetic. This really isn't even a fair comparison IMO.

Note to self: Learn some more languages.

KCfromNC

Mar 17, 2007

1. 750 is actually enough for two people and two cats. We went from a 1,100@850 in Miami to 1,300$1,200 in Orlando, to 1,500@1,875 in Reston VA, to 750@2900 in NYC, we were used to bigger places, but really, once you settle down into it, a lot of stuff you carry with you is extraneous.

We have a 52" tv, a 5.1 surround system, a large tv stand, two large book cases, and a queen bed, along with 3 dressers, a sofa/sleeper and a big chair. We still have plenty of room to walk around, it's actually very cozy. I can cook very well in the kitchen, still make my mom's lasangna that takes hours to cook.

Within a 10-block radius there's about 50 places to eat, 4 grocery stores, Lincoln Center (going to see John Williams in September), a movie theater, a B&N, Bed Bath an Beyond, Talbots for my wife, Pottery Barn, the river to bike next to, a large parking lot we can rent a car in (zip cars FTW...remember you don't need a car in the city, big savings there).

Not to mention the subway is 5 blocks away @ Columbus Circle = go anywhere for the 76/mo for an unlimited pass.

Is the $3K renting or owning? That makes a significant difference. For 3K, you can get a $400K house using 5% down/30 year fixed. If you're renting, the correct comparison is an IO ARM, which would get you about double - $850K or so.

For comparison, 400K in the RDU area you'd get about 3,000 sq ft w/ 4-5 bedrooms and 3 baths on half an acre in some of the nicer neighborhoods in Cary or North Raleigh. 850K will buy significantly more (5K square feet, 1 acre with lots of flexibility tradeoffs if you want more land instead of lots of sq ft). Within a 10 to 15 minute drive you'd have all of the shops you mentioned (Lincoln Center excluded, obviously). The RDU area has an extensive greenway system for bike riding and running. You'd have to get a car, but parking is free almost everywhere here.

There are lots of other obvious differences which would make living in the two places tough to compare, but it's fair to put things in perspective. It all depends on what she's looking for. Make sure the things that NYC offers for the significantly higher cost, taxes, and hassles of city life are things she cares about. The things listed above (shopping in chain stores) isn't what makes NYC unique - you can find those in any reasonably sized city. The opportunities for future advancement is a good thing to look about, but at 30 she should already understand the dynamics of that part.