Career crossroads.......

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
I don't know exactly what she does but its in international business and she's 29.

She speaks 6 languages and she's good with numbers. And she has a scary memory, like an elephant....almost photographic. One story is that she met a person just for a few minutes.......met them again after 9 years and she remember the face, name, details of conversation, clothes they were wearing, etc.

She mentioned that she has to travel internationally minimum 10-12 times a year.

$170k isn't much in NYC esp with those skills...that's how much 2nd year analyst 23 year old at an i-bank makes.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: elmro
Originally posted by: Coquito
Oh God, I have so much money. What ever shall I do? Woe is me. Who will take care of poor little Fifi when I'm gone.

She should move to Boston. Everyone else on ATOT is.

NYC > Boston

L.A. > NYC > Boston

(since we're now on to the irrelevant)

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: JS80
I don't know exactly what she does but its in international business and she's 29.

She speaks 6 languages and she's good with numbers. And she has a scary memory, like an elephant....almost photographic. One story is that she met a person just for a few minutes.......met them again after 9 years and she remember the face, name, details of conversation, clothes they were wearing, etc.

She mentioned that she has to travel internationally minimum 10-12 times a year.

$170k isn't much in NYC esp with those skills...that's how much 2nd year analyst 23 year old at an i-bank makes.

Who the hell are you people? Get off ATOT & go swim in your piggy banks.

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
NYC because she has opportunity to make even more money.

Sister = International Finance/ Business + 6 Languages!

Unless NC can match willing to pay for her skills.....

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Keep taxes in mind!!!!!!!!!!!

NYC will tear that paycheck in half if not more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, that puts here over the 160 mark. Hello rapage.

Say hello to AMT.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Coquito
Originally posted by: JS80

Who the hell are you people? Get off ATOT & go swim in your piggy banks.

2004 Investment Banking analyst comp survey
you are an ant waiting to be squashed.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Take NYC; live it up while she's young. That is plenty of money regardless of cost of living and the rural south is way too boring. She doesn't have to stay there for ever, invest some money to save towards a mortgage and when she's older move.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
One story is that she met a person just for a few minutes.......met them again after 9 years and she remember the face, name, details of conversation, clothes they were wearing, etc.

ok, that's scary. :Q

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Juno
One story is that she met a person just for a few minutes.......met them again after 9 years and she remember the face, name, details of conversation, clothes they were wearing, etc.

ok, that's scary. :Q

i definitely don't want her 'kind' to be my boss.

i'd hate to watch everything i say in front of her.

imagine come end of the year performance review, "hey phoenix, remember on may 29th, you mentioned blah blah blah, well that's a couple of points off your company values/work habits"

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
Originally posted by: LS20
Originally posted by: kevnich2
You really can't go by just pay here. 170k in downtown Manhattan is really not going to get you too far. If she lives a modest lifestyle, I don't think she'd enjoy it.

lawlz lawlz lawz!!!!

hahaha. that is one of the dumbest posts i've read in a long time

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: xospec1alk
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: xospec1alk
fact is, with 178K, you don't NEED to live in NJ. sure if you want to save more fine. but my guess, the take home would be about about 7k-8k a month?

a studio in nyc runs about 1400 on the UES, a one bedroom about 2-3k...

thats still more than enough to survive....

i spend roughly $100 a week on breakfast and lunch...i count dinner seperately...

You people make it seem like 178k and she'd still be living like a pauper or something...sheesh

I'd call a one bedroom apartment a pauper.

ok, fine. growing up in nyc, living in a one bedroom by yourself, in manhattan, is pretty freaking good...

she's career oriented, not a homebody, and not mechanically-inclined around the house....so NYC would be a perfect fit.

on the other hand, having a mcmansion in NC would get her feet wet into being a 'house' person, doing the lawn, etc, the joys of home ownership.

Whatever makes her happy. If the NYC job offers sufficient career advancement opportunities then I'd go that route.

If it were me I'd choose the NC job.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
i just can't believe the misinformation in this thread. all the ppl talking about nyc seem like they've never even lived here before.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: maziwanka
i just can't believe the misinformation in this thread. all the ppl talking about nyc seem like they've never even lived here before.

care to rectify the misinfo?

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
Originally posted by: maziwanka

care to rectify the misinfo?

i've quoted most of it above. but the info about taxes and barely being able to live in downtown manhattan.

with 170k+ she will be living a damn good life in manhattan. i can't believe she has such great hours too. it IS a no brainer (but then again, i've been in nyc for the past 8 years or so and consider it my home).

elmro

Dec 4, 2005
Originally posted by: z0mb13
take the NY job, live in brooklyn to avoid the city tax

What? I live in Brooklyn and have to pay the ~3% NYC tax. (Brooklyn is one of the 5 boroughs of New York City).

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
You only live once. If she chooses to live in North Carolina in some cookie cutter suburb in tract housing, she will regret it for the rest of her life. Someone smart enough to know 6 languages should see that easily. BTW.. why are so many people posting that commute time will be longer in NYC? And why is the city no place to raise kids? Sesame Street is in Brooklyn

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
You only live once. If she chooses to live in North Carolina in some cookie cutter suburb in tract housing, she will regret it for the rest of her life. Someone smart enough to know 6 languages should see that easily. BTW.. why are so many people posting that commute time will be longer in NYC? And why is the city no place to raise kids? Sesame Street is in Brooklyn

Dunno, commute should be a moot point as she plans to be in Manhattan if she goes for it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: mugs
If I were from NC, I'd probably take the Raleigh job. I live near NYC and I have no interest in ever living there or working there. They couldn't pay me enough to live in a shoebox or endure the long commute.
For 170 grand a year you wont be living in a shoebox, and the commutes in NY are quite easy with the subway and bus system.

My thoughts would be: Which place could I save the most money at?
I probably would not wish to retire in New York, even if I were a millionaire. I would want to retire in Portugal or the Bahamas or something like that.
If NY cost 3 times as much to live and I could actually save more money in North Carolina, thats probably what I'd go for.
Having said that, a person could probably experience a lot more of life and have better memories to retire on up there.
Whenever I do retire I'd like to look back on an interesting life.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Even though Raleigh is the cultural epicenter of the universe....

:music:
This heres a story about billy joe and bobbie sue
Two young lovers with nothin better to do
Than sit around the house, get high, and watch the tube
And here is what happened when they decided to cut loose

They headed down to, ooh, old el paso
Thats where they ran into a great big hassle
Billy joe shot a man while robbing his castle
Bobbie sue took the money and run

Go on take the money and run

Billy mack is a detective down in texas
You know he knows just exactly what the facts is
He aint gonna let those two escape justice
He makes his livin off of the peoples taxes

Bobbie sue, whoa, whoa, she slipped away
Billy joe caught up to her the very next day
They got the money, hey
You know they got away
They headed [up north]and theyre still running today
Singin go on take the money and run

:music:

ppdes

May 16, 2004
I used to live in Hoboken. Having access to NYC via a quick subway ride was awesome. There were multiple kendo dojos there, where I am now I have to drive half an hour just to get to a club, not even a dojo. I also took Japanese lessons at the Japan society and did western fencing as well. I had three different Japanese book stores I could go hit any time I was bored. The sheer amount of entertainment options and opportunities in NYC is amazing. Even someone with bizarre tastes like me was completely satisfied there.