Question Can't Enter BIOS with SSD Attached Following BIOS Update

Ashinjuka

May 30, 2015
I'm working on an HP Pavilion 510-a010. It came with a 1TB spinner. My goal is to redeploy it with a Samsung 860 Evo 250GB.

I disconnected the HDD, connected the SSD fresh out of the package, booted to my Win 10 USB installer, installed Windows 1809 to the SSD using default settings, everything was fine. Once I was up to the desktop, I flashed the BIOS to the latest version from HP's website. Flash was successful, everything seemed fine until the system went to boot. It POSTs and shows the text-mode specs for the machine, with the "Press ESC for Startup Menu" message, but it never goes any further. I can't get into the BIOS, I can't get it to start the Windows bootloader. It just sits at the initial POST text screen.

If I disconnect the SSD, I can get to the BIOS. If I reconnected the original HDD, it will boot to that drive. If I connect the SSD to another machine, it recognizes the volume and I can browse the drive contents. But when I hook it back up to the HP, it's back to freezing after POST. I thought it might be something to do with Secure Boot so I disco'd the SSD, went into BIOS, and disabled Secure Boot and enabled Legacy Devices, but it still won't go forward after reconnecting the Samsung.

Does anyone have guidance on what's going on here or how I can fix it? Thanks.

Ashinjuka

May 30, 2015
Yes, it does appear that way now... I tried another Sammy Evo 860 from another PC and it does the exact same thing when connected. Both are running the latest firmware. I guess next I'll try going backwards on the BIOS version and see what happens.