Cancelling an AOL account

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sonoma1993

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
I've gone through the same deal to cancel aol. They kept offerings things and stuff just to keep me sign up. I had to keep saying, cancel the account. My uncle gone through the same deal too.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Sqube
I had to call back twice before they would really cancel my account.

The second time, I asked for a confirmation number, the first and last name of the CSR that I was speaking to, and said that I would go as high up the ladder as I could, referencing the CSR and the confirmation number to everyone I spoke to.

Never saw another AOL charge again. And it was for my parents, so don't give me any grief!

i work for an inbound call center (an answering service for doctors, attrnys, hospitals and such) and if someone asks for my name i just say "no." i cant speak for them but when someone says "let me speak to your supervisor" or "whats your name" i say "no" and then usually hang up...rofl you and your sense of entitelment to my personal information.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
LOL. That is pretty much how it was when my parents tried to cancel their aol account years ago. My dad had to keep saying "cancel my account" over and over and over again. Finally the guy said he would cancel it and the next month we got billed. My dad ended up just calling the credit card company and had them decline payment.

amdforever2

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2002
The best thing to do is just go with the flow.................let them get the ****** their bosses make them say in. Then you can close the account. ;)

MajinWade

Jun 22, 2001
I will now reveal the secret to easily canceling AOL. All you have to do is say you have switched to Linux. You could even act genuinely interested in getting their help to get it running in Linux. They will wish you luck and offer you a couple of free months if you ever switch back to windows.

Note: This was a few years ago and I don't know if they let you connect without using the AOL software yet.

Aug 26, 2004
wow

i'm amazed the guy stayed as calm as he did

i probably would have blown up at him when he started telling me i was going to listen to his paragraph or it wasn't going to get canceled

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
I signed up for a Walmart internet account last year when I was on vacation so that I could have cheap($9.88) dialup for a month. Turns out it was AOL-based and when I went to quit I had to spend about a half hour on the phone with some idiot who was probably in India or wherever they have those call centers... the call should've taken 2 minutes. Wow, that sucked really bad but I finally got the account terminated.

Lesson learned... AOL is the devil.

cpacini

Oct 22, 2005
Originally posted by: FishTaco
The CSR must get some kind of bonus for every customer they retain.

That, and possibly a result of poorly written quality guidelines. The CSR probably is required to make x number of attempts to overcoming resistance when a customer wants to cancel, along with reading the scripted statement. I work for a call center that can't figure out how to properly write guidelines, and we end up with similar calls where agents have to do idiotic crap like that to pass their metrics.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Originally posted by: FishTaco
The CSR must get some kind of bonus for every customer they retain.

I think they do. Within the last year, Elliot Spitzer went after AOL because of the extreme difficulty they gave customers who wanted to cancel accounts, of course AOL has not changed very much since that happened.

When I worked at Homestead.com a couple summers ago in phone support, there was a period where we'd get $10 if someone who had a "grandfather" account, that is..an account from 3 years before or earlier, called in and to canceland we were able to retain them by convincing them what a great deal they were getting for being around so long. I rarely bothered at all unless our CEO was listening on, then I'd make a half-assed effort at it..but I would hear some of the other CSR's try to retain them and I would definitely have been really annoyed if I were the customer trying to cancel an account.

It's really annoying ot have a service where you just cancel something online. We were told if someone asked why we didn't have that option it was because of "security" reasons..whatever that meant.

Otherwise though they were a great company to work for.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: chambersc
Originally posted by: Sqube
I had to call back twice before they would really cancel my account.

The second time, I asked for a confirmation number, the first and last name of the CSR that I was speaking to, and said that I would go as high up the ladder as I could, referencing the CSR and the confirmation number to everyone I spoke to.

Never saw another AOL charge again. And it was for my parents, so don't give me any grief!

i work for an inbound call center (an answering service for doctors, attrnys, hospitals and such) and if someone asks for my name i just say "no." i cant speak for them but when someone says "let me speak to your supervisor" or "whats your name" i say "no" and then usually hang up...rofl you and your sense of entitelment to my personal information.

You should quit your job, you obviously dont like it and probably arent good at it.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Wow, my experisnce with cancelling my account was easy.......i just called, explained that they wernn't providing me with an acceptable level of service(slow, cut offs)(dial up btw), and he cancelled it.....easy!

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: altonb1
BUMP! because this guy made The Drudge Report

it's unfortunate that the CSR lost his job when he was doing what his company instructed him to do.

They instruct him with methods to keep an account, but that gay was an exceptional prick. I'd probably be an asshole too if I worked for AOL.

wasssup

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
Originally posted by: TallBill

it's unfortunate that the CSR lost his job when he was doing what his company instructed him to do.

They instruct him with methods to keep an account, but that gay was an exceptional prick. I'd probably be an asshole too if I worked for AOL.

I had an extremely difficult time cancelling my father's AOL account a few years ago as well. I don't blame the CSR, and like TallBill said it's messed up that they fired him. He was just following THEIR policies, and that's what the problem is, not the CSR (probably).

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: wasssup
Originally posted by: TallBill

I had an extremely difficult time cancelling my father's AOL account a few years ago as well. I don't blame the CSR, and like TallBill said it's messed up that they fired him. He was just following THEIR policies, and that's what the problem is, not the CSR (probably).
i said that :p