Cancelling an AOL account

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Maximus96
having an AOL account to begin with also needs a punch in the face.

The blogger says that he used it because his bosses had it for some reason. Click the link and listen to the mp3, it's brilliant.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My experience wasn't quite that bad, but it was along the same lines. I lived in an area for six months that did not have high speed access so I had to use either AOL or Earthlink. I tried AOL. The cancellation phone call took me about 10 minutes. Afterwards, I was told if I so much as signed into AIM or a website with that AOL name, it would automatically re-activate my account and it's billing. I made sure to never use that handle again anywhere.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
This is not encouraging. On Black friday last year, I bought a laptop and AOL was running a promotion that would give me a $250 additional discount if I signed up for AOL service. Since I was planning on starting a trial for dial-up, anyway, to allow me connectivity when I was on vacation the following week, I took it with the "bring your own broadband" account. The catch was that I was/am obligated for 1 year. My logic: $14.95/mo for 12 months = $179.40. They were giving me a $250 discount on my purchase. that spells PROFIT to me. So I took it.

I haven't really planned on keeping the service after the year is up, so sometime around December I will call to have it ended. I hope my call is not this difficult.

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Damn....that's nowhere near customerservice. I think I heard something along the lines of "cancelling the account is the worst thing you could do" WTF is that? What an idiot. People like that piss me off. I work as a Customer Service Rep in a call center, and if anything even remotely close to what was said on that tape, I would be fired in an instant. Actually, a guy at my workplace was fired. We take classified ads for newspapers Nationwide, and some guy that was new started hanging up on people who weren't placing classified ads that would get him much comission.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Holy $hit! I'd have just hung up on that asshat and cancelled the credit card I was using to pay the AOL account rather than have to deal with that jackass. Though the credit card CSR's can be annoying too but I've never had anything near like what that guy had to go through.

RCN

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2005
:D

I used a fee cd I had laying around when I switched dsl providers. I cancelled before the trial was over and they gave me a bunch of sh!t about how it was morally wrong to not continue using the service after they gave me 30 days free...........

KillyKillall

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2004
OMG. I second your notion of a punch to the face. How much it is signed on makes no difference. Good for you on recording it. Post it all over the net and let AOL screw themselves yet again.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: RCN

I used a fee cd I had laying around when I switched dsl providers. I cancelled before the trial was over and they gave me a bunch of sh!t about how it was morally wrong to not continue using the service after they gave me 30 days free...........

my response would be

"ask me if i give a fvck about your concept of morals. now cancel my accnt"

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: RCN

If they're going to bundle their ****** product with every loaf of bread then they shouldn't complain when people abuse it.

If I wanted AOL, I would have bought AOL. I wouldn't go get a tank of gas.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
LOL

That CSR is such a tool. It sounded like he was trying to say "the worst thing would be for me to cancel your account."

teddyv

May 7, 2005
Heh - I had a very similiar experience with AOL. I had had an account since 1992 and kept it for the last 6 or 7 years because my parents used it (they paid for college, I thought it not a bad return on investment...) My Dad had DSL installed a while back and I finally got around to calling to cancel. Same thing, every time I asked to cancel they would come up with a new way of asking why and then trying to convince me to stay. It became obvious if they thought they were losing me they would put me on hold then come back and start all over again. I finally figured out the only way to beat them was just to keep asnwering the questions with "I just want to cancel the account". They finally cancelled it but it was a real trial.