Can we stop the nonsense?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Gaard
I think some are still trying to instigate sh!t, but there's more restraint being practiced. It's sad, however, that when the inevitable happens (the instigators succeed in pushing the buttons of others) those that finally succumb to the instigators tactics will be the ones getting flac.

Yep. Today has been alright with a few exceptions. I would be happy with today(or better) as the norm - it is MUCH better than last weekend when I feel the attacks peaked. However I think the discussion of new topics has dwindled as a result but I'm not sure why. There are tons of news/political stories out there but hardly anything new here. Hopefully it is because people are doing their research before posting a story and giving their opinion/commentary.:)

CkG

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
I think some are still trying to instigate sh!t, but there's more restraint being practiced. It's sad, however, that when the inevitable happens (the instigators succeed in pushing the buttons of others) those that finally succumb to the instigators tactics will be the ones getting flac.

Yep. Today has been alright with a few exceptions. I would be happy with today(or better) as the norm - it is MUCH better than last weekend when I feel the attacks peaked. However I think the discussion of new topics has dwindled as a result but I'm not sure why. There are tons of news/political stories out there but hardly anything new here. Hopefully it is because people are doing their research before posting a story and giving their opinion/commentary.:)

CkG

Well CkG I disagree. I've been attacked at least a half dozen times today. Most recently I was called a fool. I didn't retaliate but I'm sure if I did you would be saying it's my fault. Where the hell is everyone when it's someone else's fault and I don't retaliate?

I wouldn't know how to contact a moderator here if I had to. Maybe you could. I'm getting sick and tired of this BS. I have to control myself while others are just playing their game of personal attack as usual.

This sucks. Nothing has changed other than I'm sitting back and letting people attack me.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
My personal sense is that people rather enjoy it when it's brutal, but only when they win. I think politics is about the externalization of identity onto a worship source. This substitutes external valuations where real self respect was supposed to be. We see this in herding and tribe identifications of all types. Because we were kicked out of ourselves by hate, essentially, we are all now angry too. We want to take it out on that other, rotten tribe. Naturally we don't want anybody taking theirs out on us.

edit: BOBDN, in my opinion, there should be at least one rule agreed to by all members as a condition of participation, that any personal attacks, if they are going to be allowed, should be allowed only with the admonition that the attacker acknowledges he has resorted to them because he is lacks the intelligence, wit, knowledge and maturity to respond in any other way but as a child. That way people won't feel so strong a need to reply because they will, in effect, have already so to speak, won.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
My personal sense is that people rather enjoy it when it's brutal, but only when they win. I think politics is about the externalization of identity onto a worship source. This substitutes external valuations where real self respect was supposed to be. We see this in herding and tribe identifications of all types. Because we were kicked out of ourselves by hate, essentially, we are all now angry too. We want to take it out on that other, rotten tribe. Naturally we don't want anybody taking theirs out on us.

That's a real fine philosophical statement Moonbeam. But I'm not retaliating. I'm not taking it out on anyone. I'm just letting people say things that I'm told I shouldn't reply to while everyone on this thread is letting it happen.

As soon as I can't take this BS anymore and retaliate you're all going to tell me I'm wrong while the instigators just skate.

This sucks.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: BOBDN

CkG

Well CkG I disagree. I've been attacked at least a half dozen times today. Most recently I was called a fool. I didn't retaliate but I'm sure if I did you would be saying it's my fault. Where the hell is everyone when it's someone else's fault and I don't retaliate?

I wouldn't know how to contact a moderator here if I had to. Maybe you could. I'm getting sick and tired of this BS. I have to control myself while others are just playing their game of personal attack as usual.

This sucks. Nothing has changed other than I'm sitting back and letting people attack me.

Bob, when I changed from HJD1 to lunar.. I learned alot about politics. If someone's child ego calls you a fool that ego awaits your response so the fight can continue. Your non response in kind won the battle. You won Bob! That is the victory over egos. The facts of your post.. well that rests on its own merit.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
BOBDN do you want it to change in 48 hours? You don't have much patience, you sniveling little pie....just kidding :) In all seriousness, things have toned down a little. It's almost force of habit to attack people on here, I'm as guilty as all. So much more difficult to THINK about a logical, rational, objective response :( It's gonna take some time.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: LunarRay

CkG

Bob, when I changed from HJD1 to lunar.. I learned alot about politics. If someone's child ego calls you a fool that ego awaits your response so the fight can continue. Your non response in kind won the battle. You won Bob! That is the victory over egos. The facts of your post.. well that rests on its own merit.

That's all well and good LR. But where I grew up if people talked to you like that someone would be lying on the sidewalk bleeding. And in the past that someone was never me.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

CkG

That's all well and good LR. But where I grew up if people talked to you like that someone would be lying on the sidewalk bleeding. And in the past that someone was never me.

That's why people only talk "like that" on the internet :) IRL, folks are a bit more polite, aren't they?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

CkG

That's true. But, in this 'hood' the stronger will power wins. The ego over the ego. Blood pressure rises and all that.. but, at the end of the day no punch hits only words and in my old 'hood' words led to more words and you'd have to catch me.. :) I was one fast kid, back then... now I know better, I should have fed my child ego by first putting my thumb to my nose, wiggled my fingers and then ran.. :)

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Funny, but taking this BS from people doesn't feel like winning LR.

Not at first it don't but, then when you know you got to them with your post and they flip out you won! They can't defeat your position so the try to get at you another way. If both are on polar opposites then there can be little agreement between the two but there are more than two here and lots will enter in and agree or disagree and there it is..

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: alchemize

That's why people only talk "like that" on the internet :) IRL, folks are a bit more polite, aren't they?

I suppose so. That would explain the back stabbing that goes on IRL. More polite to your face. When your back is turned it's a different story.

Believe it or not I don't play that game. I'm not perfect, no one is, but there is only one time in my life I can remember when I threw the first punch. And that was 39 years ago when I was 13.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

Not at first it don't but, then when you know you got to them with your post and they flip out you won! They can't defeat your position so the try to get at you another way. If both are on polar opposites then there can be little agreement between the two but there are more than two here and lots will enter in and agree or disagree and there it is..

Well I hope you're right LR. I sure hope you're right.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

That's a real fine philosophical statement Moonbeam. But I'm not retaliating. I'm not taking it out on anyone. I'm just letting people say things that I'm told I shouldn't reply to while everyone on this thread is letting it happen.

As soon as I can't take this BS anymore and retaliate you're all going to tell me I'm wrong while the instigators just skate.

This sucks.

BOBDN, My postt had nothing to do with yours. You got in there ahead of me while I was writing mine. I edited my post also to add this response to you and which I'll quote here since things have moved on:

BOBDN, in my opinion, there should be at least one rule agreed to by all members as a condition of participation, that any personal attacks, if they are going to be allowed, should be allowed only with the admonition that the attacker acknowledges he has resorted to them because he is lacks the intelligence, wit, knowledge and maturity to respond in any other way but as a child. That way people won't feel so strong a need to reply because they will, in effect, have already so to speak, won.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

Well I hope you're right LR. I sure hope you're right.

You post alot of stuff. I've read where some said Bob's cut and paste... etc. they are trying to make fun of you. They can because they are far away physically, or they are just putting you on which, if you took it wrong may result the same across the table. But it is just their Child Ego playing. That ego gets mad and throws stuff and does all sorts of stuff. Givin it is on a forum they are looking for someone to see it. They may or may not care if folks agree but, agreement makes em feel like they have done something, they just want to key stroke in the sand box. The Adult ego don't fight back it just smiles and says ok kiddies here's a ball for you..

Of course, all this is IMO.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

I didn't say it was perfect but it has tempered a bit. Calling someone a "fool" or "foolish if...", while an attack on their intelligence, is much better than some of the other insults that have been thrown around here;) That doesn't make them OK though.
Like I just posted in the other thread - your seemingly stongly opinionated posts do have quite a draw, and I can see how you feel you are being attacked from all sides(I've been there;)) but IMO if you state your opinion strongly - you will likely get a strong response.
Yes - I've noticed some of the attacks(on you and others - of which you handled fine IMO), and I don't condone them, but at the same time I don't wish to diminish the progress that seems to have been made so far.

CkG

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

CkG
That's just because I haven't seen you say anything stupid today. When you do, I'll be all over you. Heck, I was about to congratulate you on finally getting a clue.

:D <-- for the humor-impaired

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

CkG
That's just because I haven't seen you say anything stupid today. When you do, I'll be all over you. Heck, I was about to congratulate you on finally getting a clue.

:D <-- for the humor-impaired

WHAT!!!!! WHY YOU LITTLE ...WHY DON'T YOU..... AND.......!!!!!!!!

;)

CkG

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
So what's the consensus thus far? Are we doing better? IMO, things have lightened up a bit - as they should. Some people are still losing their cool periodically, but I've noticed an improvement...

Well, still a couple of threads started like these:

Who Hates bush by sinthon

George w's mailbox by mark

I'm sure they could've posted whatever bashing they have to say in one Bush Bash thread.

There were a couple of others with what appears to be serious questions:

Does Bush have enough accomplishments to win in 2004?

Bush holds Federal pay raise to 2% for 2004.

So all in all looks like some progress, if everyone would ignore the multiple posts of nonsense we should be OK and it will look better and have more substance.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

edit: BOBDN, in my opinion, there should be at least one rule agreed to by all members as a condition of participation, that any personal attacks, if they are going to be allowed, should be allowed only with the admonition that the attacker acknowledges he has resorted to them because he is lacks the intelligence, wit, knowledge and maturity to respond in any other way but as a child. That way people won't feel so strong a need to reply because they will, in effect, have already so to speak, won.

Hang in there. If you show you are agitated by the attacks it only makes them do it more. Only say something back if blantantly a lie and a character attack otherwise if it is clearly just made up garbage or just trying to get your gall up, ignore them, that will make them crawl away with their tail between their legs like the wuss's they are.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Dm,
Bush ought to be open for debate and bashing because he's in office. If there are six news items regarding Bush then there ought to be six threads containing the pro and con of Bush. IMO

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Dm,
Bush ought to be open for debate and bashing because he's in office. If there are six news items regarding Bush then there ought to be six threads containing the pro and con of Bush. IMO

That's clearly a difference on News items and just the same rhetoric garbage over and over. In my examples from above:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, still a couple of threads started like these:

Who Hates bush by sinthon

George w's mailbox by mark

I'm sure they could've posted whatever bashing they have to say in one Bush Bash thread.

There were a couple of others with what appears to be serious questions:

Does Bush have enough accomplishments to win in 2004?

Bush holds Federal pay raise to 2% for 2004.

----------------------------------------------------------

two thread are clearly the same rhetoric of no "News" value and belong in one Bash Bush thread while the other two are "News".

Bush is clearly still open for debate with less quantity of just nonsense new Bash threads, when someone feels the need to write more bash stuff that does not have "News" value to warrant a new thread they can vent in the Bash thread. Very simple, is it too hard for some here???

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
The phone log thread was funny. Not news but it was political Satire. It would not belong in a serious thread IMO. The other one I didn't look at. Of the two news ones I've only been to the pay raise one.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Curious Dave. What do you consider the mailbox thread to be? "same rhetoric" and "Bush bashing" or "This is funny, nice find Mark?"

Or all of the above?

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Sometimes we just need to laugh. That Bushmailbox thread was some seriously funny stuff. I think it was political satire of the equal opportunity kind. It poked fun at just about all the key players. It's obviously done in good natured humor.

On another note, thanks to all of you for the good (IMO) advice. :)