Can we stop the nonsense?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
If everyone had the opportunity to actually meet each other face to face you'd see a major change in how the folks interact. I used to belong to a BBS in the early '90s called "LINKS", a computer golf game. Not the INTERNET but, still... Anyhow, we'd argue like capitalist economists over anything..:) well, we all met in Vegas in '92 and after that the 'board' never had a real heated situation... I wondered why this was (being interested in this stuff) and concluded that once the barrier was torn down of anonymity folks were much more respectfull... they knew the person they spoke to.. They were just flesh and blood like the next guy or gal. Rough tough macho guys turned out to be just nice guys (rough tough cream puffs).
So if anyone is traveling in my area (Solana Beach, CA.) give me a call and we'll take an hour or three and do coffee. I'll even bring my Republican Grandson along to support your positions or my Silkie if you're a Liberal..:)

edit to change the last sentence..

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Here's the solution for this kind of thing from "ExtremeTech" forum: an area that has special admission for all those interested in all-out ranting and raving. The admittance message for the section of their forum that has this is as follows:

"NOTE: THE DISCUSSIONS IN THE PUB ARE VERY PARTISAN IN NATURE AND THE ATMOSPHERE IS MORE ROUGH AND TUMBLE THAN THE REST OF THE FORUM. IF THE PUB BECOMES TIRESOME AND YOU NEED A BREAK FROM IT, JUST POST ANOTHER NOTE IN THIS THREAD AND I WILL REMOVE YOUR ACCESS.

Also, please note that disputes within the Pub should NOT be taken into the rest of the forum. The rest of the forum operates under the "courtesy and respect" guidelines. Thanks much for bearing that in mind when deciding to participate in the discussions in the Pub. "

Taken from here on ExtremeTech

You ask for admittance into the volitile region, and you exit out when you are weary of it. Simple. There is no moderation there. This is an example of the way a few others have done it at their forums, and something that could be considered for ours too.

It would at least prevent just anyone off the street coming in to stir things up and then not show up again.

And it puts the onus on YOU as to whether you'd like to participate in a volatile area or not, while allowing others the freedom of a good passionate discussion.

I've seen personal attacks quiet down alot after the moderation hammer was lifted. The attackers usually tired themselves out.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
Here's the solution for this kind of thing from "ExtremeTech" forum: an area that has special admission for all those interested in all-out ranting and raving. The admittance message for the section of their forum that has this is as follows:

"NOTE: THE DISCUSSIONS IN THE PUB ARE VERY PARTISAN IN NATURE AND THE ATMOSPHERE IS MORE ROUGH AND TUMBLE THAN THE REST OF THE FORUM. IF THE PUB BECOMES TIRESOME AND YOU NEED A BREAK FROM IT, JUST POST ANOTHER NOTE IN THIS THREAD AND I WILL REMOVE YOUR ACCESS.

Also, please note that disputes within the Pub should NOT be taken into the rest of the forum. The rest of the forum operates under the "courtesy and respect" guidelines. Thanks much for bearing that in mind when deciding to participate in the discussions in the Pub. "

Taken from here on ExtremeTech

You ask for admittance into the volitile region, and you exit out when you are weary of it. Simple. There is no moderation there. This is an example of the way a few others have done it at their forums, and something that could be considered for ours too.

It would at least prevent just anyone off the street coming in to stir things up and then not show up again.

And it puts the onus on YOU as to whether you'd like to participate in a volatile area or not, while allowing others the freedom of a good passionate discussion.

I've seen personal attacks quiet down alot after the moderation hammer was lifted. The attackers usually tired themselves out.
But that's pretty much how this forum has been and people are complaining about it. The problem I see with that approach is that it's great for people who's aim is rough and tumble, but less valuable to those interested in rational debate. Somehow I feel there should be a bit more encouragement for the latter, the rational debate side.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
That begs the question: Why not have a non rough and tumble forum... like OT is... sorta.. But, MODerated and then Purgatory... here.. where anything goes.
I guess we already have it.. what we need is the MOD folk to bless it as it is. With an admittance request to the MOD for entrance.

Edit: Maybe you must be a subscriber to enter or for an additional fee AT will somehow set aside a section or another server.. or whatever it is that one does in computers.. it would eliminate the 'just drop by' folks and insures age and all..

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
... The problem I see with that approach is that it's great for people who's aim is rough and tumble, but less valuable to those interested in rational debate. Somehow I feel there should be a bit more encouragement for the latter, the rational debate side.

:beer:

:Q
CkG

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Who has been complaining and to who???

I have had the pleasure of meeting some of the folks from on here and sometimes we agree to disagree both online here and offline. As Moonie put it, both sides of the fence, very nice writing there BTW MB.

MB by far has the most colorful writing I have ever seen, from clear and makes sense to off the charts :confused: .

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Well so far all we've really had are some of the biggest past-offenders asking that we lighten up with them. Rather than a real moderator discuss/request this from us. Those past-offenders cried "mommy" because they were getting buried because their pro-bush/pro-war stances are disintegrating into thin air, and it's just a matter of time before all of that and them are buried.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Well so far all we've really had are some of the biggest past-offenders asking that we lighten up with them. Rather than a real moderator discuss/request this from us. Those past-offenders cried "mommy" because they were getting buried because their pro-bush/pro-war stances are disintegrating into thin air, and it's just a matter of time before all of that and them are buried.

Philly this can sorta explain who does what why..

Here is the test to see who you may be... it is short 70 questions.. maybe 10 min.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

I don't think anyone is "crying mommy" and incase you care - my last discussion with a MOD was over 3 months ago. This is/was an attempt to bring civility back to the forum. This isn't the first attempt and there are people on both sides of the proverbial "isle"(and some that are hogging the stairs;)) that have brought this up and support it. This isn't a thread to attack anyone or to quiet anyone - just thread to bring the debate back to Political/News issues instead of personal issues. Please understand that.

CkG

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

I don't think anyone is "crying mommy" and incase you care - my last discussion with a MOD was over 3 months ago. This is/was an attempt to bring civility back to the forum. This isn't the first attempt and there are people on both sides of the proverbial "isle"(and some that are hogging the stairs;)) that have brought this up and support it. This isn't a thread to attack anyone or to quiet anyone - just thread to bring the debate back to Political/News issues instead of personal issues. Please understand that.

CkG

Well CAD, How about another communication with the MOD's and ask them to visit the site with some comments...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

CkG

Well CAD, How about another communication with the MOD's and ask them to visit the site with some comments...

Well, from what I've seen in this thread I don't think they are too likely to do much. If we can't show/prove we are willing to do it ourselves - then I don't think the Mods wish to get involved. It is true that I could ask for some input but in my judgement - I don't think we've made a good enough argument to warrant an opinion, so I wish to keep mum:)P) at this time.

CkG

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=52&threadid=1127625

am I the only one that finds something wrong with these types of posts?

This is fine, IMO. Blair is Liberal and Bush is Conservative :). I think the Vile, Personal attacks are not good. When someone calls another member a "blankety blanking blanking Blank and his Blank must have blanked a blanking blank for someone to say such a stupid blanking blankety blank." (Fill in the blanks) What does this do aside from fire up the pot and destroy whatever interest there was in the thread. All the other stuff "Bad Bush" or "Bad Clinton" or "Of course it's Bush's fault" or "only an idiot would say that" or "what a moron" is just fine by me and quite funny as well, often.

I suspect we already read a mod point of view.
(I seem to recall a thread that was sticky fied in the beginning of the forum)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
We'll have to live with it but certainly would not converse with the Offenders or have any respect for them at all, they are clearly hijacking every thread bringing up Bush and bashing him. A total obsession on their parts. That's beyond protesting. Talk about religion, They have crossed a line and are actually preaching now.

They should use some courtesy and keep their Bush bashing in one Bush bashing thread and simply vote against him in the next election and move on here.

Anyone agree on this and is it possible to create and keep just one (Official) Bush bashing thread?

I try and not to make a million threads on the RIAA and DMCA issues, why can't others do the same???

Dave

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by: BOBDN
Originally posted by: Dari
NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

Off topic for a moment if you'll all bear with me please.

Can we apply number nine to Bush and Iraq?

WTF do you keep insisting that Bush lied? Clinton said the war was legit. Albright said the war was legit. Most of the democratic party said the war was legit. You've yet to prove that the war was based on lies. What is your beef?

I asked for everyone to bear with me for a moment while I went off topic. I won't hijack this thread. I'll answer your question and that will be the end of my off topic comments here.

Clinton, Albright - they both said in their opinion the war was necessary, not legit. That's a qualifier. Something Bush didn't use when he said emphatically Iraq had WMD, nuclear material they purchased from Africa, terrorist ties and posed an imminent threat to the security of our nation. Proof of which has never been given.

If you like we can discuss this further in another thread, Dari. No need to get excited or hostile. We just disagree on the veracity of the statements Bush made which he used as an excuse to invade and occupy Iraq.

Wow, talk about obsessions, does Bush have to be hammered in every thread? That is clearly thread hijacking and those doing it are clearly whacked. Just vote against him in the next election and move on, sheesh...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
We'll have to live with it but certainly would not converse with the Offenders or have any respect for them at all, they are clearly hijacking every thread bringing up Bush and bashing him. A total obsession on their parts. That's beyond protesting. Talk about religion, They have crossed a line and are actually preaching now.

They should use some courtesy and keep their Bush bashing in one Bush bashing thread and simply vote against him in the next election and move on here.

Anyone agree on this and is it possible to create and keep just one (Official) Bush bashing thread?

I try and not to make a million threads on the RIAA and DMCA issues, why can't others do the same???

Dave

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WTF do you keep insisting that Bush lied? Clinton said the war was legit. Albright said the war was legit. Most of the democratic party said the war was legit. You've yet to prove that the war was based on lies. What is your beef?

I asked for everyone to bear with me for a moment while I went off topic. I won't hijack this thread. I'll answer your question and that will be the end of my off topic comments here.

Clinton, Albright - they both said in their opinion the war was necessary, not legit. That's a qualifier. Something Bush didn't use when he said emphatically Iraq had WMD, nuclear material they purchased from Africa, terrorist ties and posed an imminent threat to the security of our nation. Proof of which has never been given.

If you like we can discuss this further in another thread, Dari. No need to get excited or hostile. We just disagree on the veracity of the statements Bush made which he used as an excuse to invade and occupy Iraq.

Wow, talk about obsessions, does Bush have to be hammered in every thread? That is clearly thread hijacking and those doing it are clearly whacked. Just vote against him in the next election and move on, sheesh...
4 years ago it was obsessive Clinton bashing by the right, now the tables have turned. Just ignore it.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Dave

4 years ago it was obsessive Clinton bashing by the right, now the tables have turned. Just ignore it.

Did these people invade every thread with Clinton bashing though? or was it restricted to one Official thread?
I remember quite a bit of the Clinton jokes and bashing but don't recall a total bleed over :p into every thread.

Edit: I put up an Official Bush Bashing thread, let's see if people here can use some discretion and courtesy and keep the noise and seriouness on that particular subject in one location. Make us all proud guys & gals.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
In a forum on politics, what people say is political, how they see is political, what they want is political, how they come to the debate is political, and how they may wish to control the terms of the debate is political. Having no rules is a political choice not to play politics. At the same time it exposes everybody to the politics of anarchy, or at any rate the politics of the least common denominator, something I might describe as the chimpanzee hoot, the breaking off of a tree branch, screaming and parading around. Your genes should help you picture the story. :D

So we can see a political forum, perhaps, as ranging form a catharsis of emotion all the way to the sublime construction of adaptive new thought. Depending on which of your apparently singular but really shifting 'I's is at the forefront and in control in the particular moment, and depending on their scope or range, that generally unexamined and unconscious feeling behind the 'I' that is dominant at that moment will be one whose hidden elements you will want to express.

Now that I think about it, something just like this is what Lunar Ray was getting at, I bet, when he spoke about the adult child thing.

With children at the table the adults have childish matters to attend to that can distract them from adult dialogue. No child training and there will be no future adults. As I said earlier I feel there should be room for both. The problem may be, just a suggestion of possibilities, guys, that when you approach the table with the intention to have an adult discussion and you get hit in the face with a child thrown pie, you lose your cool and become a child yourself. Then, in what is really self disgust, you get pissed and blame the child, but of course not your own. We are always right. :D

So that leads me again to the notion that what is needed isn't so much rules as a more sophisticated understanding of yourself, is it one of my children or adults who is at the table.

Therefore, in my political opinion, people who wish their adult conversations to be uninterrupted by children least they (essentially) embarrass themselves by falling into a child state, are really asking to be protected from a realization and demonstration of who they sometimes are. They have the option, (and this is the important point self understanding of the reality of this phenomenon can bring) to maturely respond instead of getting into the mud.

So I could maybe condense my forum rule thus:

Politics and News forum rules:

!!!!Screaming child crossing!!!! Set an example. Drive maturely or get out and scream with the kids!!

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

Dave

I object to being characterized as "being clearly whacked," whatever that means. I believe you are hijacking this thread with BOBDN bashing as well as recommending censoring views you don't agree with.

The chickens have come home to roost. It's time for a barbecue and everyone is invited.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I remember quite a bit of the Clinton jokes and bashing but don't recall a total bleed over into every thread.
Boy I sure do. In fact they made the Bush Bashing look tame. The Liberals have yet to achieve the high pitch whine the Conservatives mastered during the Clinton years.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Moonbeam,
!!!!Screaming child crossing!!!! Set an example. Drive maturely or get out and scream with the kids!!

Yup!

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
So what's the consensus thus far? Are we doing better? IMO, things have lightened up a bit - as they should. Some people are still losing their cool periodically, but I've noticed an improvement...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
So what's the consensus thus far? Are we doing better? IMO, things have lightened up a bit - as they should. Some people are still losing their cool periodically, but I've noticed an improvement...

I agree, things have improved. :)

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I think some are still trying to instigate sh!t, but there's more restraint being practiced. It's sad, however, that when the inevitable happens (the instigators succeed in pushing the buttons of others) those that finally succumb to the instigators tactics will be the ones getting flac.