Can we stop pretending that Fox is news ?

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
It's been obvious for some time now that Fox has a clear conservative slant to their news coverage, but they always maintained the pretence of being "Fair and balanced". Now it seems they're doing away with even the pretence:

News Corp., owner of the Fox network, Fox News and newspapers including the New York Post and The Wall Street Journal, gave $1 million in late June to the Republican Governors Association (RGA), making it one of the largest corporate donors to the GOP group this election season, The WSJ reported in its Wednesday edition.
The donation, disclosed in Internal Revenue Service filings, marks a shift for the media giant, which traditionally has given smaller sums to candidates and committees and spread them relatively evenly between the two main U.S. parties.
News Corp. spokesman Jack Horner said the contribution was intended to promote the company's core beliefs. "News Corporation has always believed in the power of free markets and in organizations like the RGA, which have a pro-business agenda and support our priorities at this most critical time for our economy," he said.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpps/news/news-corporation-gives-$1m-to-gop-dpgonc-km-20100817_9226384

It is of course a free country, so they can donate to whoever they like, and air whatever propaganda they like, I just wish they'd be honest about their intent. They're not trying to be fair and balanced, they're deliberately biased in favor of the GOP. They even have 3 of the top GOP presidential candidates working for them (Palin, Huckabee and Gingrich).

Also the actual media should stop pretending that Fox is a news organisation, and start calling it what it is. By lending it credibility they're doing us all a great disservice.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Fvcking pathetic. As if corporate purchasing of politicians is not enough for this country we have to have papers donating, too.

PeshakJang

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2010
And most people who actually report the news give almost exclusively to Democrats.

The top is right leaning, the bottom is left leaning. What else is new.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
I watching it at lunch yesterday in the break area and I swear the woman sitting in for Megyn Kelly said, "Coming up next, the Obamacare deathpanel makes its first decision."

Did she miss a "so-called" or something in there? :eek:

--

And since I never finished the show, I'm guessing they were talking about this

Last edited:

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
Can we stop pretending other media isn't biased towards the left?

Can we stop pretending liberals aren't scared of Fox?

Can we stop pretending Fox outrage doesn't make me laugh?

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
It's news. It's biased. So is everything else. I hardly ever read or watch Fox News, and I've been known in the past to be conservative. I usually get my news from CNN, but the bias there is also pretty bad in the opposite direction, especially when it comes to illegal immigrants. But I just filter out the bias and get to the source of the news. I just wish CNN would stop reporting news on celebrities. I couldn't care less what Justin Bieben and whats her face did yesterday.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
"They even have 3 of the top GOP presidential candidates working for them (Palin, Huckabee and Gingrich)."

comedy gold if those are 3 top GOP candidates......

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
As soon as we reach a point where the vast majority of people in the other news outlets aren't card-carrying, Obama-voting, DNC-contributing, MMGW cultist leftist fringe members, then Fox might reconsider their stance.

There's a reason Fox has more credibility among the general public than all the other news outlets. The more you lefties bash it (faux news yap yap yap), the more people trust it as the only outlet to report the actual truth.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
None of the cable news channels are really 'news'... they're entertainment. But Fox news is the worst of the bunch.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
There's a reason Fox has more credibility among the general public than all the other news outlets. The more you lefties bash it (faux news yap yap yap), the more people trust it as the only outlet to report the actual truth.
Partly that but mainly that most people are simply too stupid to know or care for better from their news.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
As soon as we reach a point where the vast majority of people in the other news outlets aren't card-carrying, Obama-voting, DNC-contributing, MMGW cultist leftist fringe members, then Fox might reconsider their stance.

That's so sad.

You seem to represent the final stage in partisanship, where you you consider a fact automatically false if the opposition presents it.

PeshakJang

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2010
That's so sad.

You seem to represent the final stage in partisanship, where you you consider a fact automatically false if the opposition presents it.

Ironic self-defeating post of the day. Double points since you are the OP.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
That's about the largest breach of journalistic ethics one could imagine-a supposed impartial (fair and balanced) news organization expressly and publically funding a political party.

I guess Fox News has become so arrogant that they won't even bother to maintain the pretense of impartiality.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
MSNBC easily takes the cake.

OP, how do you feel about MSNBC?
So I hear. Never watch it (with the exception of Olberman Youtube Videos) but if it's even close to being as bad as Fox then it really must be ridiculous.

Yeah they say that one needs to separate the commentary from the actual New reporting but that station is so saturated with Wingnut Commentary, from their Morning Zoo to Hannity, Beck and O'Really, it's often difficult to do.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
MSNBC is obviously an attempt to create a leftwing version of Fox, though they're not nearly as good at it.

MSNBC is much, much worse. At least Fox brings on people that the hosts disagree with and there is usually some decent debate. MSNBC will only bring left wingers on their shows. Look at Keith Olbermann, when is the last time someone disagreed with him on his show? All his guests are from Time Magazine or the Huffington Post.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
So I hear. Never watch it (with the exception of Olberman Youtube Videos) but if it's even close to being as bad as Fox then it really must be ridiculous.

Yeah they say that one needs to separate the commentary from the actual New reporting but that station is so saturated with Wingnut Commentary, from their Morning Zoo to Hannity, Beck and O'Really, it's often difficult to do.

O'Reilly is not nearly as bad as Hannity and Beck. He shouldn't be lumped in with those guys. He was often pretty highly critical of Bush, and gives Obama credit on several issues. Plus, most of his guests disagree with him and it makes for good debate. His show is much easier to watch than the other two.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
MSNBC is much, much worse. At least Fox brings on people that the hosts disagree with and there is usually some decent debate. MSNBC will only bring left wingers on their shows. Look at Keith Olbermann, when is the last time someone disagreed with him on his show? All his guests are from Time Magazine or the Huffington Post.
Lol, the thing is nobody watches it so they are irrelevant. If MSNBC reported a Bear shit in the woods would anybody smell it?