Can we quit giving Notre Dame a free pass to the BCS now?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BigDH01

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2005
The only fact is this:

It is obvious to anyone that watched Notre Dame this year that they are average THIS YEAR. When they played average teams the score was close and could've gone either way. When they played elite teams they got destroyed. To any objective person, Notre Dame was average, not crappy, not elite, average. So what did people expect when Notre Dame went to play LSU? LSU was in a tough SEC conference (arguably the best conference) and had close losses to Florida (playing for national championship) and a team who was ranked #3 at the time (Auburn). They beat Tennessee at Tennessee and Arkansas at Arkansas. Those teams were ranked #8 and #5 respectively. Notre Dame beat a #19 Penn State, got killed by a #11 Michigan and a #3 USC. Notre Dame wasn't competitive in those games, they got killed. It was obvious that Notre Dame didn't belong in a BCS bowl game. Those bowl games should be for the elite, not mediocre. Past seasons be damned.

Notre Dame fans need to look at this objectively for a moment. Did you honestly think that ND would put up a fight against LSU? I can't think of one single person I talked to that thought ND could win. Hell, these are the same people that thought BSU stood a good chance against OU. ND slipped in on a technicality and it sucks.

My university sucks at football. I think we won 4 games this year in a weak Big 12 conference. We are very used to losing and aren't really that emotional about football. When I watch it now, I just want a good game. That's it. I don't get happy or sad when Notre Dame wins or loses, I just want a close game. Especially from BCS games. This is the only thing that upsets me. A team goes that has no right being there and the game isn't worth watching. You'd think a BCS game should at least be close, you know, elite playing elite. Gimme a break. The rules need to be changed so that ND doesn't get a free ride from an average season.

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Originally posted by: alexjohnson16
Originally posted by: Svnla

BTW, chuckywang, you were no where to be found in the second half at the official Sugar Bowl thread..lol.

That game was over....I turned my attention to this thread.

You seem reasonable. Can you still not see why ND is relatively undeserving to go to the BCS?

The rule is that only two teams from any conference can make a BCS bowl. Given that rule (the soundness of that rule is a whole other discussion), what other teams would be more deserving? The Big Ten and the SEC already have two teams in BCS bowl games, so any other teams from those conferences are automatically out. You're left with the second best team in the ACC, Pac 10, Big 12, and the Big East.

That means you're left with Boston College, California, Texas, and West Virginia. Do you really think any of those teams deserve a shot over ND?

Cal would totally destroy ND, so would west virginia , ND defense sucks, their CBs cant really cover any decent receivers

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Originally posted by: thegimp03
Haha, they should just create a bowl named the "Overrated Bowl" and stick UND in it every year no matter what.

Brady Quinn will be the mascot. I've never seen a more overrated quarterback in my life. GL in the CFL, punk!

Yeah, he only holds 36 distinct passing records at one of the oldest, most successful Football schools in the country. CFL in your dreams, moron. :roll:

So you're saying he's better than Montana? Good one....

Do you remember what Rivers and the Pack did to the Irish in '03? That was pretty sweet. If it weren't for Dantonio Burnette dislocating Carlysle Holiday's shoulder, Quinn probably never would have gotten his chance...

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: kalster

BTW, chuckywang, you were no where to be found in the second half at the official Sugar Bowl thread..lol.

You seem reasonable. Can you still not see why ND is relatively undeserving to go to the BCS?

The rule is that only two teams from any conference can make a BCS bowl. Given that rule (the soundness of that rule is a whole other discussion), what other teams would be more deserving? The Big Ten and the SEC already have two teams in BCS bowl games, so any other teams from those conferences are automatically out. You're left with the second best team in the ACC, Pac 10, Big 12, and the Big East.

That means you're left with Boston College, California, Texas, and West Virginia. Do you really think any of those teams deserve a shot over ND?

Cal would totally destroy ND, so would west virginia , ND defense sucks, their CBs cant really cover any decent receivers

While I agree Cal and WV are better choices, I wouldn't go as far as to knock their DB's. Cal's have been absolutely horrible against good receivers this season.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
Originally posted by: kalster

Cal would of definitely beaten Notre Dame. Lynch FTW!