Discussion Can someone explain what is a god given right?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I keep hearing to 2A absolutists refer to 2A as a god given right. 2A is one of those rights not granted to black people.

If it is a God given right what does that exactly mean?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Constitutional rights are not "God given." There is no mention of "God" in the U.S. Constitution. They are referring to the DOI saying that "the Creator" has bestowed "inalienable rights" on us. But the DOI, famous as it is, actually bestows no specific rights and has no legal force or effect.

In other words, it's bullshit.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
To me it's a presupposition one makes about existence. Meaning that it is an immutable truth. Of course they are not, but to hold a value within our social construct, we assume it to be a necessary belief. Which is why certain things are worth dying or killing for.

Gun Ownership being one of them is dumb, given the clear damage that brings.

Reactions: Muse and iRONic

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I keep hearing to 2A absolutists refer to 2A as a god given right. 2A is one of those rights not granted to black people.

A God given right is any privledge that allows you to inflict pain and suffering on your neighbor. The more heinous the privledge, the more Holy it is.

Reactions: Lezunto

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Since god is a creation from man, a god given right is a right created by man.

In other words, a god given right is one in which the American people, as a whole, have granted to themselves as one that they are entitled to and one that can’t be taken away.

That’s my take anyway.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

What are you reading that calls it a God-given right?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's a bad synonym for inherent rights.
This, couching it with religious connotations give certain individuals a better idea of what is meant by 'inherent'. Tends to be the same individuals that are inclined to take away rights unless there's a perceived punishment for doing so.

In essence, things we as a collective feel are rights that all humans, regardless of anything whatsoever, should share. The 2A thing really goes back to the right to self defense and self determination, primarily. That's gone somewhat pear-shaped of late.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A God given right is any privledge that allows you to inflict pain and suffering on your neighbor. The more heinous the privledge, the more Holy it is.
Brilliant! It's ma gawd given right to buy an AR-15 assault rifle and keel 25 people in less than 60 seconds, yessiree (OK, it'll probly take me two minutes). Says so rot thar in the constitution. Did gawd give us that? Ma preecher is in favor so ah guess so.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Can someone explain what is a god given right?

Yeah, I think it's a bunch of old mumbo jumbo dating back to our Judaeo-Christian heritage / ethics in assigning morality to basic "human rights", such as life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The freedom of modern Democracies. Our "god given rights", things we declare as our moral rights that we'll fight to protect regardless of the law. Or so we say. Probably a bombastic appeal to their peers who they believe were raised to believe in a similar set of moral beliefs, whom they were adamant would support such things.

An appeal to moral / religious kinship. Obviously outdated given present circumstances.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
It refers to rights that are universal whether your government recognizes them or not. Whether intended by an actual God, or some force of nature, or rights we can universally agree on.

It is similar to the concept of how the constitution doesn't grant you rights...it supposedly just lists/enumerates the rights that are inherent in some way to you just for being a human. It's an IEnumerable. It's not a "we, the benevolent government shall grant you the ability to do the following things"....it's more of a "even if your government becomes a piece of crap at some point, we are listing things they may not take away from you." Kind of a cool concept to me, but I can see how people may disagree with the actual items on the list.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the distinction between "God given" and "inherent to humans just for being humans". It is intended to point to a power that is higher than our lawmakers and meant to indicate that our lawmakers may never take this right away from us from a universally legal/moral perspective. That doesn't stop the lawmakers though: see the various Sedition acts, one of them implemented less than a generation after our independence.

Reactions: Greenman

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
God given rights are inalienable rights. Anybody who believes an the idea that some things are false and some things are true, some things bad and some things good, anybody who perceives the world via the duality created by thought and critical analysis believe in them, even where the belief is that they don’t exist. Inalienable rights exist out of a sense of personal certainty.

But there is an ancient religious experience, an experience of death and rebirth, a hero’s journey to retrieve the Golden Fleece, a mystical journey unknown to most that when experienced and not otherwise affirms the existence of inalienable truth. It is what the person who has lost all programming is left with, that in our nature that can’t be taken. Traditionally, those who have undergone such a transformation call it God, and the sacred state inherent to such a conscious awareness of God is what creates the sense of one’s natural right to achieve it.

As children we were born in that state and told we don’t deserve it so profoundly that we were ejected from it and now don’t want anyone else to experience it for themselves. The wisdom of our forefathers via the enlightenment that influenced their time must die. The pain of awakening is, owing to the darkness around us, just too great.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
God given rights are inalienable rights. Anybody who believes an the idea that some things are false and some things are true, some things bad and some things good, anybody who perceives the world via the duality created by thought and critical analysis believe in them, even where the belief is that they don’t exist. Inalienable rights exist out of a sense of personal certainty.

In the backdrop of humans slaughtering and enslaving each other for almost the entirety of our history....
Reality stands in stark contrast to the altruistic vision of human rights even existing. Especially in some sort of "natural" state...
It's obviously an appeal to kinship for those who share similar views. Which may not even be half the planet today.
We are even at risk of losing them here, where human rights are so fervently regarded. And we are to pretend that they are natural and inherent?

God-given my arse. These rights are protected by our laws and our adherence to those laws. The protection of our institutions. The moment our society breaks down, ALL those rights disappear along side it. Just a construct of our western civilization. An inherent... belief... among our peers. Much weaker today, than in past generations.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The latest god given right is for your children to receive a religious education indoctrination that must be funded by taxpayers…
If the Rastafarians bring their case back to SCOTUS to be allowed to smoke weed as part of their religion what do you think is the likely outcome?

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
Substitute it with "natural right" or "inherent right" that humans have come to agree on over the centuries.

Adding a god to the mix is old-time fluff and pomposity.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
If the Rastafarians bring their case back to SCOTUS to be allowed to smoke weed as part of their religion what do you think is the likely outcome?
Hello shadow docket purgatory, where your case is denied without even needing a reason.

This Supreme Court of course has zero interest in freedom of religion, but a strong interest in imposing Christian religion on everyone. Similarly if it had been Buddhists or Muslims bringing this exact same case, it would never have been heard.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
In the backdrop of humans slaughtering and enslaving each other for almost the entirety of our history....
Reality stands in stark contrast to the altruistic vision of human rights even existing. Especially in some sort of "natural" state...
It's obviously an appeal to kinship for those who share similar views. Which may not even be half the planet today.
We are even at risk of losing them here, where human rights are so fervently regarded. And we are to pretend that they are natural and inherent?

God-given my arse. These rights are protected by our laws and our adherence to those laws. The protection of our institutions. The moment our society breaks down, ALL those rights disappear along side it. Just a construct of our western civilization. An inherent... belief... among our peers. Much weaker today, than in past generations.
I can’t share your frustration because I know that inalienable rights are truly inalienable. They are not subjective and not a matter of faith or force of law. The knowledge of their existence can’t be given without grace nor kept from those sincere in their seeking. The price of entry is everything you believe. Believing you know and knowing you know are two different things but the difference is also only know to those who know it.