Call of Duty Ghosts will have PhysX and TXAA

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
ugh... I read here on ATVCG PhysX is dead.
Then how come it's scoring majorMAJOR AAA title, and has more titles in development than ever :eek:

game development beyond grave FTW

BTW all you slamming COD for being simplistic bunnyhopping kiddie twitch-shooter - that is exactly is how we Red Orchestra/ARMA players see you BF folks :whiste:

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
Personally I find all the shooter franchises still alive to be simplistic snorefests in the gameplay department. Having latest and greatest graphics is no substitute for making a good game. The last shooter I truly enjoyed in terms of both gameplay and graphics was Crysis 1, and even that was woefully lacking in the optimization department.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Battlefield Madden '04 is a pass for me, EA money grab do not want.

I haven't played a COD game since they first started coming out (WWII), might pick this up when it hits the bargain bin, same as MaddenField '04 for that matter.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Battlefield Madden '04 is a pass for me, EA money grab do not want.

I haven't played a COD game since they first started coming out (WWII), might pick this up when it hits the bargain bin, same as MaddenField '04 for that matter.

I'm also annoyed with what they did with BF3.

I bought the limited edition with back to karkland on release.

Just for them to release a premium edition with all maps for another $60 a few months later.

Which I did not buy.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I also got the limited edition on pre-order and 0 "DLC".

I'm done with that song and dance.

I picked up BF3 in the Humble Bundle, seems good fun but I'm certainly not falling for EA's trap and shelling out for DLC. Its a fun multiplayer game, but nothing that revolutionary. Reminds me of the first Call of Duty, the expansion pack added a really fun Assault mode to the multiplayer.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009

Just for them to release a premium edition with all maps for another $60 a few months later.

Which I did not buy.

Anyone who got premium would tell you it was worth it. You got another entire game worth of content and much more for that $60 bucks.

PPB

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2013
I picked up BF3 in the Humble Bundle, seems good fun but I'm certainly not falling for EA's trap and shelling out for DLC. Its a fun multiplayer game, but nothing that revolutionary. Reminds me of the first Call of Duty, the expansion pack added a really fun Assault mode to the multiplayer.

You know things gone whack when you see someone thinking a battlefield game was inspired in a CoD one.

Not only CoD United Offensive's gameplay seems childish compared to any battlefield one (heck, even crappy BC ones), but also that very game was based on battlefield 1942.

In any case, Battlefield 3's gameplay should be reminiscent of 42' one, altough that is at least debatable, too.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Anyone who got premium would tell you it was worth it. You got another entire game worth of content and much more for that $60 bucks.

I had many friends mention that but i'm not going to pay $120 dollars to play battlefield 3. If I could sell my previous copy for 30 bucks I would consider it :p

I have way more games i'm playing and trying to finish now to bother.

will just look at what BF4 has to offer and will wait cause I know they will do it again.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Blaire was kind enough to message me and really neat indepth TXAA discussion -- just discovered Raff from PCgameshardware appreciates the strengths of TXAA

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=9875350#post9875350

It's in German but sure is nice to see discussion that goes beyond blanket views!

FWIW - Blaire made the discovery with SGSSAA with Fermi!

Idd...
And lets not forget that the Germans are the biggest graphic aficionados and contributors in the field of optics.
I mean Johannes Kepler, Carl Zeiss, Joseph Fraunhofer ... come on!

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
they better implement a proper fov slider adjustable to 90.

I'm not using a 3rd party tool that may or may not get me banned.

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

I think the point is you shouldn't have to pay $60 more to get the rest of the game you already paid for.

It's like going to buy a car and when you go to pick it up they offer to sell you an engine for it.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Clearly offered pig and garbage -- and offered in just 10 seconds -- speaks for itself.

TXAA may not be for everyone! You like sharp -- some do -- and default TXAA softening may indeed be too much of a trade-off or even a distraction to some or even many! So let's stop there and blanket the feature and ignore movement or temporal aliasing -- what third party tools do that may enhance with adding a modest sharpening. You can have sharp!

Good lord -- everything from you is usually third party tools for over-clocking and tweaking and yet IQ tweaking using third party tools seem foreign to you and continue to offer blanket views on something you haven't had the common courtesy to investigate first hand default or with third party tools.

It's like 10 seconds -- you make up your mind!

Nope, you're choosing to read more into it than is there. Graphics != gameplay, and trashing one does not translate to the other.

Not that your arguments in defense of CoD are any better. By your logic Bieber is the Mozart of our generation.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I think the point is you shouldn't have to pay $60 more to get the rest of the game you already paid for.

It's like going to buy a car and when you go to pick it up they offer to sell you an engine for it.

+1

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Nope, you're choosing to read more into it than is there. Graphics != gameplay, and trashing one does not translate to the other.

Not that your arguments in defense of CoD are any better. By your logic Bieber is the Mozart of our generation.

WHo the **** is Mozart :colbert:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009

Your quote offered the context -- which was graphics!

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Based only on graphics... CoD can't compete. I'm sure it'll sell, but I honestly hope people see it side by side against BF4 with it's 64players and huge environmental destruction and vehicles etc and decide to pick it up instead. Maybe this next gen (XB1/PS4) can get some people to convert over from CoD and allow it to fade away. I could give them a pass if they built a brand new engine.

spat55

Jul 2, 2013
Another big title score for NVidia and hardware PhysX! ^_^

This one caught me completely by surprise. I thought the only PhysX games coming out at the tail end of this year were Bureau XCOM DeClassified and Batman Arkham Origins.

I guess Activision must be feeling the heat from Battlefield 4 and the graphical brilliance of the Frostbite 3 engine that they felt they had to do something more to compete in the intensifying tech war with DICE.

NVidia engineers will help them to implement advanced HDR lighting, sub-D tessellation, displacement mapping and probably some other effects. The game will also have dedicated servers for all those that like multiplayer.

I haven't played a Call of Duty game since Modern Warfare, so I may give this one a go.. In fact, I just upgraded my PhysX card to a EVGA GTX 650 Ti SSC, so the more PhysX games the merrier. :D

Also, it will be interesting to hear those PhysX naysayers spin this one about how PhysX will soon be dead :whiste:

Has three games this year = dead considering the games you have listed are not going to be mine :)

spat55

Jul 2, 2013

Which I did not buy.

Same here, if they had of been open about it being added with Premium then I wouldn't of been offended, but that was dirty underhand tactics!

monster88

Oct 30, 2012
yay, more proprietary [redacted] from nvidia. :hmm:

Profanity isn't allowed in the technical forums.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

monster88

Oct 30, 2012
Competition is good. I have no strong preferances in the gpu area, but I like to see nVidia still scoring some titles.

bribing developers to use brand specific "tech" is not good. such tactics only serve to alienate an entire population of pc gamers - impedeing them from enjoying these games with all possible 'bells and whistles' enabled. phsyx is hardly anything to cry about, i know, but i personally like to have every feature enabled in my games, regardless of how well implemented they are. and it's frustrating when i can't simply because of the brand of my gpu's.

monster88

Oct 30, 2012
Putting lipstick on a pig. Just look at the latest Splinter Cell game. You can throw all the bells and whistles you want but you can't hide an outdated game engine, primitive character animations and make up for lack of world details. HDR lighting doesn't mean anything in 2013.

It only takes me 10 seconds to conclude that COD Ghosts will look like garbage based on the way the foilage + dog look and how the dog moves in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2uN1gwxM8o

COD Ghosts looks far inferior to BF4 graphically and BF4 itself isn't exactly going to WOW us like Far Cry 1 or Crysis 1 did either. Next gen gaming is still ways off and games like Splinter Cell and COD: Ghosts are still made with old generation consoles in mind. Their graphics show it and you can't hide it with PhysX or otherwise.

As far as TXAA goes, it has so far failed to impress in Secret World, Crysis 3 and Splinter Cell Blacklist. I do not see how TXAA is a selling point at all until NV makes serious strides to prevent texture blurring.

couldn't have said it better myself. well said, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.