[Business Korea] Nvidia dumping TSMC in favor of Samsung

Mondozei

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2013
So it looks like AMD's assumed node advantage is melting down by the minute. Nvidia is now essentially dumping TSMC's 16 nm FinFet for Samsung's equivalent Business Korea reports.

Just for those who are unaware of the background story, this is a good read to explain how all of this happened.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Couldn't this end badly for us if Samsung screws it up ? Have they built any high performance chips before ? I thought they only made SOCs for the most part ? Maybe they make more than that, I have no idea.

Feb 19, 2009
1. Samsung are making 14ff stuff for a few big companies, NV included. What they are making, is less clear.

2. Nobody should take Samsung lightly, this is why TSMC will pay dearly for their arrogance. GloFo is already onboard with Samsung's 14ff, so whenever they are ready, expect it for AMD products.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Looks like Samsung/GloFo have 2 fabs in the US that are 14nm mass-production sites; that is something I can get behind.

Feb 19, 2009
Couldn't this end badly for us if Samsung screws it up ? Have they built any high performance chips before ? I thought they only made SOCs for the most part ? Maybe they make more than that, I have no idea.

Samsung makes a lot of products, including hardware & computing for military and space industries too.

Their record is nothing but astounding.

Their only short coming thus far is a very lack lustre GPU tech for mobiles.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
If I had to guess, NVIDIA will probably start off by having Samsung make Tegra chips and then see how well they can deliver. Then they might trial a few low and middle tier GPUs before making the full switch. They've had a long relationship with TSMC so I don't see them dumping them quite yet. Oh and the guy that screwed TSMC really did a number on them but that's typical Samsung, they're a conglomerate based on ripping other's technology.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
If that story is correct, and if sammy did steal trade secrets, I would think TSMC has a huge club in their hands, and would see who stays 'loyal' to them and who don't.
Then, once enough volume was produced by sammy, TSMC swoops into the courts, bans all products made with that stolen tech, and all those companies that switched are now in a dire position.

/me gets out the popcorn. ;)

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Their record is nothing but astounding.
Their only short coming thus far is a very lack lustre GPU tech for mobiles.
Their mobile division sh*t the bed and are taking my company along for the ride.
At least Samsung put a bunch of their mobile execs on the chopping block.

Ken145

Aug 1, 2014
Could this be what Kepler patent trolling was all about? To get a better deal on samsung finfets?

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
If that story is correct, and if sammy did steal trade secrets, I would think TSMC has a huge club in their hands, and would see who stays 'loyal' to them and who don't.
Then, once enough volume was produced by sammy, TSMC swoops into the courts, bans all products made with that stolen tech, and all those companies that switched are now in a dire position.

/me gets out the popcorn. ;)

TSMC would still want those companies to be its partners for the next season and going forward into the future. Putting them out of business wouldn't be in its best interests. Getting a large compensation and disciplining the turncoat employee is more likely what TSMC would want.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Great news! I guess rumours about TSMC doubling R&D expenditure were true :) I hope competition will make them pay dearly for arrogance and incompetence. Imagine if we had GTX980 on 22nm+FF like node...

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Notice how it talks about "AP" in that article? AP = Application Processor. This could well just be referring to Tegra... same as the "OMG NVidia 20nm in 2015" rumours turned out to be about Tegra X1.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Notice how it talks about "AP" in that article? AP = Application Processor. This could well just be referring to Tegra... same as the "OMG NVidia 20nm in 2015" rumours turned out to be about Tegra X1.

Yep. Samsung isnt even designing a high performance node either. And if Samsung isnt, then GloFo isnt. I dont think Samsung even got a single IC customer with a design over 10W.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2009
Yep. Samsung isnt even designing a high performance node either. And if Samsung isnt, then GloFo isnt. I dont think Samsung even got a single IC customer with a design over 10W.

The question is will there be a dedicated "high performance" (high clocks) node moving forward? Most of the revenue now come from mobile SOCs.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
The question is will there be a dedicated "high performance" (high clocks) node moving forward? Most of the revenue now come from mobile SOCs.

Its a niche node for anyone but Intel really. It will come, but it wont be the first one. Thats also why the GPU is playing second fiddle or even third in the node race. However we are looking at TSMC again to supply that.

Last edited:

Haserath

Sep 12, 2010
he worked for a few years at American processor vendor Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), and then returned to Taiwan at the age of 40 in 1992 to work for TSMC.
In 2003, TSMC's home-grown technology overtook IBM's, and the company drew worldwide attention for its 0.13 micron copper damascene process...contribution of Liang, who was responsible for the Advanced Modules Division,
It goes back further than they thought!:eek:():)

dangerman1337

Sep 16, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia moves off from TSMC entirely seeing how Apple will be gobbling up supply.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
If I had to guess, NVIDIA will probably start off by having Samsung make Tegra chips and then see how well they can deliver. Then they might trial a few low and middle tier GPUs before making the full switch. They've had a long relationship with TSMC so I don't see them dumping them quite yet.

I concur.

geoxile

Sep 23, 2014
I guess it's pretty much confirmed that Samsung fixed their FF yield issues while TSMC is still suffering.