Bump Stock Ban is in Effect

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I am a gun owner, I have a concealed carry permit, and I carry much of the time. I own an AR-15, and I enjoy shooting it at the range.

Removing the ban on bump stocks is bullshit. I could modify my AR-15 to be fully automatic (the know how is available online), but that would be breaking the law. The bump stock is just a legal workaround to converting a semi-auto to full auto.

I agree with you in principal, but the ruling was based on the language of the statues in place.

It is a technological adaptation to increase due rate, but bumpstocks do not meet the legal definition of machineguns since it's still 1 trigger action/ 1 round fired.

I would think binary triggers also fall into this category.

I do think it's important for the govt to follow the laws as written, so the legal outcome of this may be to revise the statues appropriately.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I find this case for something like night vision, which is never? misused in the USA, pretty perplexing. Hell, even here in Canada I’ve never seen anyone want night vision banned. It has legitimate uses and very, very niche cases for misuse.

Body armor is just safety equipment. Protecting yourself from criminals or other dangers shouldn’t be illegal.

Even the heavy caliber rifles, almost never misused.

Assuming you’re American it seems bizarre to expend any effort on banning things that are almost never misused when there are so many actual problems occurring. Even this concentration on full automatics is weird when the number of crimes committed with legal ones may as well be zero.
If the normal Joe has access to the tools and accessories of war that means our law enforcement also needs these tools. It creates an arms race which creates a law enforcement that looks like our military. These tools along with semi-automatic weapons are enabling the very problem the 2nd amendment was created to solve to begin with. Heck, even my small towns and at least one around me now have a MRAP.

What about FLIR? Can I keep my infrared camera or do I have to give that up too?

At any rate if we aren’t banning bump stocks I suggest LGBTQ folks, Jews, atheists, women, African Americans, Latinos and other minorities consider buying them. Good for… “self defense” and / or it will force the ban again.
For the average person flir should be banned for weapon mounting and for locating people (monoculars, binoculars and googles). Flir for phones to find leaks would be ok I would think. Flir should only be available to certain parties (HVAC, rescue, SWAT, etc.). I would be ok with rentals to find leaks. I'm totally for tools that help the environment, climate and save energy and money.

FWIW I encourage any democrat to get a weapon or two and get very familiar with them. I did so myself in 2020 for obvious reasons. Ukrainians may not be the only people fighting to stay a democracy if something doesn't give here in the US.

• Haha
Reactions: rommelrommel