Bump Stock Ban is in Effect

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
From some reading about bump stocks, the Rate Of Fire although increased is much lower then then real Full-Auto. Low enough to have a great deal of control.
Did you watch the video I linked on the previous page?

Even if the rate of fire is slower than full auto it is much faster than semi-auto. It’s fast enough that it probably doesn’t make a difference.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
From some reading about bump stocks, the Rate Of Fire although increased is much lower then then real Full-Auto. Low enough to have a great deal of control.

Perfect for a nice civilian massacre!

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Did you watch the video I linked on the previous page?

Even if the rate of fire is slower than full auto it is much faster than semi-auto. It’s fast enough that it probably doesn’t make a difference.
I think that being more controllable would make a big difference.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Thing is, bump stocks are only part of the problem of gun people being able to turn guns into automatic weapons. There are many workarounds for a bump stock ban. This became known immediately after the Las Vegas massacre.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Obama had no stomach to do anything difficult.
No, just Obamacare. Trump can't do shit but complain saying "who knew health care would be so complicated?" Now he's trying to torpedo Obamacare again. That guy can do nothing more than cover himself with shame... continually.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I knew they would punch through a second chance vest, I assume steel would require some pretty tight grouping.
I recall from reading reviews of Full-Auto American 180 was completely capable of doing exactly that due to both a high fire rate and good grouping.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
22's have range and are cheap to operate, but they don't have real stopping power. The perfect weapon for a close quarters massacre would be a street sweeper, but it's probably illegal to even think about owning one.
https://otbfirearms.com/cobray-street-sweeper/

I knew they would punch through a second chance vest, I assume steel would require some pretty tight grouping.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/m855a1-cartridge-actually-causes-explosion-ballistics-gel/

During Vietnam, Russia did her own work evaluating the 5.56 round & upgraded their new model AK74 to a similar 5.45x39mm round. It's a necked down version of their older 7.62x39mm round.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Please note I'm hope that I'm not coming across as an expert on Full Auto Weapons or even Firearms. I'm not, as I haven't even been around any guns much less owned/fired any for at 10 years.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
On the contrary a Full Auto .22 is quite effective due to very good controllablity. They will eat through body armor and steel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American-180

This doesn't make much sense to me. My dad set up steel targets in our backyard at various distances. We shot a TON of .22 at those targets over the years and the bullets didn't do anything more than splat on the steel. I'm not saying I don't believe the article; I'm saying it is very surprising. Maybe my grouping sucked :(

Reactions: Luna1968

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
This doesn't make much sense to me. My dad set up steel targets in our backyard at various distances. We shot a TON of .22 at those targets over the years and the bullets didn't do anything more than splat on the steel. I'm not saying I don't believe the article; I'm saying it is very surprising. Maybe my grouping sucked :(
Aren't steel targets made from hard/tool steel? If I can recall the last time I've even held a small one was at least an half a inch thick and and fairly heavy. And that was meant for .22lr and low velocity handgun cartridges.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
On the contrary a Full Auto .22 is quite effective due to very good controllablity. They will eat through body armor and steel.

A semi-auto centerfire rifle is significantly more effective.

22's have range and are cheap to operate, but they don't have real stopping power. The perfect weapon for a close quarters massacre would be a street sweeper, but it's probably illegal to even think about owning one.
https://otbfirearms.com/cobray-street-sweeper/

A rifle is better for massacre. Shotgun shells are fat.

Aren't steel targets made from hard/tool steel? If I can recall the last time I've even held a small one was at least an half a inch thick and and fairly heavy. And that was meant for .22lr and low velocity handgun cartridges.

it's still weak. it takes some shots to pick apart a golf ball.

The muzzle energy of 5.56 NATO vs. .22 LR is approximately 1300-1400 ft-lbs vs. 120-180 ft-lbs. Big difference.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
A semi-auto centerfire rifle is significantly more effective.

A rifle is better for massacre. Shotgun shells are fat.

it's still weak. it takes some shots to pick apart a golf ball.

The muzzle energy of 5.56 NATO vs. .22 LR is approximately 1300-1400 ft-lbs vs. 120-180 ft-lbs. Big difference.
I well aware of the difference. And I know how dangerous they can be as well if handled improperly.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
I well aware of the difference. And I know how dangerous they can be as well if handled improperly.

Okay. But the original post is still strange to me to talk about it as something super effective against people with soft and/or metal armor. From your own link:

Despite the low power of the .22 LR round, testing demonstrated that automatic fire could penetrate even concrete and bulletproof vests from cumulative damage.[citation needed] However, the target would have to remain still for some amount of time to allow the cumulative damage to amass in the same area to achieve this.[citation needed]

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Okay. But the original post is still strange to me to talk about it as something super effective against people with soft and/or metal armor. From your own link:

Despite the low power of the .22 LR round, testing demonstrated that automatic fire could penetrate even concrete and bulletproof vests from cumulative damage.[citation needed] However, the target would have to remain still for some amount of time to allow the cumulative damage to amass in the same area to achieve this.[citation needed]
Yeah but the American 180 at least with its high Rate Of Fire and controllabilty can get fair number of hits at a moving target. With at least one case that I'am aware of of a police office stopping moving car with one that killed the driver and badly injured the passenger in the early '70s.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
I for one felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders knowing that every potential mass shooter turned in their bumbpstock

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I for one felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders knowing that every potential mass shooter turned in their bumbpstock

Do you have a brain or just a tumor so you can't comprehend english?