Bump Stock Ban is in Effect

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
four years later and it looks like the bump stock ban may not hold for much longer...

A U.S. appeals court blocks a ban on rapid-fire 'bump stocks'

"The decision doesn't have an immediate effect on the ban though because the case now moves back to the lower court to decide how to proceed."

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Yep. I can see it now; all of us will have the right to utilize bump stock firing to protect our property and loves ones and/or to maximize the number of deaths when one of our law abiding gun owners suddenly turn into another murderous nutjob that goes on a killing spree using the bump stop technique.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
We needed a teacher armed with a bump-stocked AR-15 to stop that 6 yr old in VA ...

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I am a gun owner, I have a concealed carry permit, and I carry much of the time. I own an AR-15, and I enjoy shooting it at the range.

Removing the ban on bump stocks is bullshit. I could modify my AR-15 to be fully automatic (the know how is available online), but that would be breaking the law. The bump stock is just a legal workaround to converting a semi-auto to full auto.

• Love
Reactions: Pohemi

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
We needed a teacher armed with a bump-stocked AR-15 to stop that 6 yr old in VA ...
The boy needs counseling and therapy. The parents that created this monster need prison time and loss of parental rights.

• Love
Reactions: Pohemi

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Nah, you just need the whole classroom of 6 year olds to each have one, would have ended the treat so much quicker... after all, the only solution to gun problems is more and bigger guns

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
The boy needs counseling and therapy. The parents that created this monster need prison time and loss of parental rights.

Yeah, I haven't seen any specific details come out about they boy other than age, but you could almost guarantee it was some form of negligence in the home that allowed this to happen. Either it wasn't properly secured, or they were gun nuts that had purposefully exposed the kid to gun usage (guessing it's this one TBH).

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Yeah, I haven't seen any specific details come out about they boy other than age, but you could almost guarantee it was some form of negligence in the home that allowed this to happen. Either it wasn't properly secured, or they were gun nuts that had purposefully exposed the kid to gun usage (guessing it's this one TBH).
Not versed on VA gun laws, but I would wager that guns in the home must be secured so that minors cannot access them.

The question is what abuse has that child suffered at home, or are his parents raving lunatics that are always ranting about the SOB should be fucking shot. Hatred and reactions toward others are typically family values.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
From my reading, it was always doomed to fail. They shouldn’t have pretended that bump stocks are magically contained within the definition of machine gun:

The NFA defines “machinegun” as any weapon which: “shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.”

While the end result is a gun that fires at a similar rate as a machine gun, a bump stock relies on rapid actuation of the trigger and not a single function.

A bump stock is much more like a trigger crank or a Gatling gun, both of which are not machine guns.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
From my reading, it was always doomed to fail. They shouldn’t have pretended that bump stocks are magically contained within the definition of machine gun:

The NFA defines “machinegun” as any weapon which: “shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.”

While the end result is a gun that fires at a similar rate as a machine gun, a bump stock relies on rapid actuation of the trigger and not a single function.

A bump stock is much more like a trigger crank or a Gatling gun, both of which are not machine guns.
it's almost like congress should update firearms laws to reflect changes in society and/or technology.

well, maybe when hell freezes over

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

The whole point is to make the gun pull the trigger itself. A person is not pulling the trigger between every shot, the gun is hitting the finger in the pulled position. It's amazing how strict conservative judges are on language for things they don't like, but how flexible they are with things they do like.

Reactions: Brainonska511

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
The whole point is to make the gun pull the trigger itself. A person is not pulling the trigger between every shot, the gun is hitting the finger in the pulled position. It's amazing how strict conservative judges are on language for things they don't like, but how flexible they are with things they do like.

BATF interpreted it correctly for years, the rule change was political theatre.

As mentioned, the proper way to deal with them would be legislation.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Wouldn't a binary trigger be better at making a gun shoot quickly and more accurately than a bump stock? Both should be banned along with body armor and night vision optics IMHO. None of those things should be needed in a modern society.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

Well, all guns are machines.

The question is it full auto (one trigger pull = multiple rounds fired), and yes, that effectively what a bump stock does.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Wouldn't a binary trigger be better at making a gun shoot quickly and more accurately than a bump stock? Both should be banned along with body armor and night vision optics IMHO. None of those things should be needed in a modern society.

It’s certainly more accurate. You want to see something that’s even more impressive, the Rare Breed triggers really are stretching the concept of not being a machine gun.

Why would you want to ban body armor or night vision? There are all kinds of things “not needed,” that’s not a basis for banning things in a reasonably free society.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
What has the effect of this bump stock been? Earlier articles mention that not many were initially turned in. Did the law actually accomplish anything?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I broadly think that products made to circumvent the NFA should not be legal. That said the process for NFA submissions should be substantially improved. I don't see any safety benefit from people waiting like a year for a suppressor approval.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Why would you want to ban body armor or night vision?

I'm wondering the same thing. Are there cases of gun murders that would not have occurred but-for night vision? Or suppressors for that matter. I can see how a case can be made for body armor but in an armed society my opinion is you should be allowed to protect yourself even if it makes it tougher for cops to kill you.

There are all kinds of things “not needed,” that’s not a basis for banning things in a reasonably free society.

Yeah, I don't actually "need" my microwave, 5 more chairs than I have household members, a 4th TV, and a whole house fan. Who the hell is the kind of human being who thinks my ability to own something has to satisfy their personal definition of whether or not I need that thing? Probably someone posting on ATPN, which in my opinion, that person DOESN'T NEED. This is hardcore authoritarian talk and needs to stop.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
It’s certainly more accurate. You want to see something that’s even more impressive, the Rare Breed triggers really are stretching the concept of not being a machine gun.

Why would you want to ban body armor or night vision? There are all kinds of things “not needed,” that’s not a basis for banning things in a reasonably free society.
Body armor gives you a clear advantage over the average person and normal law enforcement. The same with night vision. Hunt your pigs with spot lights. Both should only be available to law enforcement or the military. If you don't trust either then maybe you should vote differently or you're living in the wrong country. It's not like you're going to win against a modern military anyways. I also feel the same way about 50 cal. and similar weaponry.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Body armor gives you a clear advantage over the average person and normal law enforcement. The same with night vision. Hunt your pigs with spot lights. Both should only be available to law enforcement or the military. If you don't trust either then maybe you should vote differently or you're living in the wrong country. It's not like you're going to win against a modern military anyways. I also feel the same way about 50 cal. and similar weaponry.

I find this case for something like night vision, which is never? misused in the USA, pretty perplexing. Hell, even here in Canada I’ve never seen anyone want night vision banned. It has legitimate uses and very, very niche cases for misuse.

Body armor is just safety equipment. Protecting yourself from criminals or other dangers shouldn’t be illegal.

Even the heavy caliber rifles, almost never misused.

Assuming you’re American it seems bizarre to expend any effort on banning things that are almost never misused when there are so many actual problems occurring. Even this concentration on full automatics is weird when the number of crimes committed with legal ones may as well be zero.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
What about FLIR? Can I keep my infrared camera or do I have to give that up too?

At any rate if we aren’t banning bump stocks I suggest LGBTQ folks, Jews, atheists, women, African Americans, Latinos and other minorities consider buying them. Good for… “self defense” and / or it will force the ban again.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
BATF interpreted it correctly for years, the rule change was political theatre.

As mentioned, the proper way to deal with them would be legislation.
Every other court in the country disagrees with you. Only the most wacko appeals court in the country agrees with you.

With a bump stock, is a person actually pulled the trigger multiple times? Nope, they pull the trigger once and the recoil and bump stock pushes the trigger into the still pressed finger. They are not discrete trigger pulls by the human.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I find this case for something like night vision, which is never? misused in the USA, pretty perplexing. Hell, even here in Canada I’ve never seen anyone want night vision banned. It has legitimate uses and very, very niche cases for misuse.

Body armor is just safety equipment. Protecting yourself from criminals or other dangers shouldn’t be illegal.

Even the heavy caliber rifles, almost never misused.

Assuming you’re American it seems bizarre to expend any effort on banning things that are almost never misused when there are so many actual problems occurring. Even this concentration on full automatics is weird when the number of crimes committed with legal ones may as well be zero.
Yeah, you are right. Semi-auto guns should be banned.

Reactions: NTMBK