DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
After weeks of researching around and evaluating a lot of stuff, i have finally picked the parts required to build my PC. This will serve as my work and gaming pc for the NEXT 3 ~ 5 YEARS to come by, without any other planned future upgrades.

I am an application developer and i'll be spending my evenings and weekends playing games.

Am submitting the parts for a final review before buying. Suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

NOTE 1 - These are not the exact prices and places i am buying my stuff from, Its just a display of the list of parts i have chosen/available to me, the actual prices where i buy vary a lot. :)

NOTE 2 - The case is actually different This is the case i'll be buying. Since i could not find it on partpicker.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($339.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($138.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Elite 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($389.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($105.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G Video Card ($744.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - HX Platinum 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2645.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-21 03:19 EST-0500

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Anyone ? Is my PSU Enough ?

I don't see any glaring mistakes, and the PSU is plenty. You could easily get buy with 650w unit if you wanted to.

The only thing I would do on such a high end build you want to use for a long period is replace the small 850 EVO with a 480-500GB NVMe drive like the 960 EVO or MyDigitalSSD BPX drive.

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
I don't see any glaring mistakes, and the PSU is plenty. You could easily get buy with 650w unit if you wanted to.

The only thing I would do on such a high end build you want to use for a long period is replace the small 850 EVO with a 480-500GB NVMe drive like the 960 EVO or MyDigitalSSD BPX drive.

Any specific reason for going to NVMe than sata other than speed?

People were saying i got an over kill PSU, but i do have some other stuff which i am going to plug in, like 2 more 7200 rpm drives, an NVMe drive (future upgrade maybe?), maybe add some LED strips, i dont know.. you still think i can get by with a 650W PSU? i can really save some $ going to 650W but i was not sure if it'll be enough in future. Maybe GPU's become more power hungry (i know i know but still)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Any specific reason for going to NVMe than sata ?

'Cause it's faster, Watson ;). Programs and operating systems only get larger and more demanding.

People were saying i got an over kill PSU, but i do have some other stuff which i am going to plug in, like 2 more 7200 rpm drives, an NVMe drive (future upgrade maybe?), maybe add some LED strips, i dont know.. you still think i can get by with a 650W PSU? i can really save some $ going to 650W but i was not sure if it'll be enough in future. Maybe GPU's become more power hungry (i know i know but still)

650w is still plenty. Drives and LEDs don't use much power. You see the system in my signature (if you're not in mobile)? I pull 64w with 25" LED at the desktop, and rarely go over 200 -225w when really pushing it. Now, if you selected a junk power supply for $19, I'd tell 'ya. But if you think you might get a more power hungry card in re future, you can buy a 750w if it would give you peace of mind.

Reactions: DeadlyTitan

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
Thank you very much. It is a peace of mind thing, knowing i can just throw in anything into my system and my psu can handle it without fiddling with the calculator. Its not that i will get a power hungry GPU in the future, its more like what if the next Nvidia gpu's are really power hungry by the time i need to upgrade my GPU.

Again, thank you

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
The build looks really good. Of course you could get a larger SSD, but it's not difficult to add this later.

1080Ti is definitely where I would start looking at 750-850W psus to have a decent amount of wiggle room even when overclocking the cpu and gpu simultaneously. 1080Ti cards can use upwards of 300W with increased power target. That being said, a quality 650W unit can still handle it, but along with an overclocked cpu it starts gettinga little more hairy and I'd start looking at a bit higher wattage for that reason.
Since you're not going to be overclocking your cpu or perhaps even your gpu, 650W or 750W are both more than enough.

Thank you very much. It is a peace of mind thing, knowing i can just throw in anything into my system and my psu can handle it without fiddling with the calculator. Its not that i will get a power hungry GPU in the future, its more like what if the next Nvidia gpu's are really power hungry by the time i need to upgrade my GPU.

I think It's extremely unlikely that any future (single)gpu graphics card would use more power than a 1080 Ti, I wouldn't worry about it for a second.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeadlyTitan

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
The build looks really good. Of course you could get a larger SSD, but it's not difficult to add this later.

1080Ti is definitely where I would start looking at 750-850W psus to have a decent amount of wiggle room even when overclocking the cpu and gpu simultaneously. 1080Ti cards can use upwards of 300W with increased power target. That being said, a quality 650W unit can still handle it, but along with an overclocked cpu it starts gettinga little more hairy and I'd start looking at a bit higher wattage for that reason.
Since you're not going to be overclocking your cpu or perhaps even your gpu, 650W or 750W are both more than enough.

I think It's extremely unlikely that any future (single)gpu graphics card would use more power than a 1080 Ti, I wouldn't worry about it for a second.

Good to hear that. Thank you.

Feb 25, 2011
Bigger SSD.

Also, your case is ugly, but I'm only saying that because I'm jealous. ;)

Nice build. :sunglasses: