BRUTAL assessment of the GOP by Young College Republicans

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Well, rather than get into the abortion debate all over again, I'll respond to your final sentence.

Abortion is the only issue that keeps me voting republican. If it were changed, I could see myself voting for democrats sometimes. Mary Landrieu comes to mind.

I'd say liberals certainly have their streak of doing this too. Abortion, again, comes to mind. Whereas liberals are quick to point to the civilized world with respect to universal healthcare, they are slow to do the same with respect to abortion. In terms of federal laws, most of the west places limits on when abortion can be performed. When the right in the US makes noise about restricting abortion, one would think that NOW and NARAL just witnessed the apocalypse.

If you want an example of liberals being extreme, fighting tooth and nail for late-term abortions are it.

If you really gave a shit about abortion, you'd support more sex education. It's no surprise that there's more out of wedlock teen pregnancy in 'abstinent only' districts (and thus more need for abortions). Let me repeat: Republican politicians don't give a shit about abortion and don't want it to go away. It's the perfect wedge issue for them while it's not a wedge issue for liberals.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
If you really gave a shit about abortion, you'd support more sex education. It's no surprise that there's more out of wedlock teen pregnancy in 'abstinent only' districts (and thus more need for abortions). Let me repeat: Republican politicians don't give a shit about abortion and don't want it to go away.

While I understand this argument, it's kind of like saying we should find a cure for poverty before we start giving out foodstamps.

Murder should be outlawed regardless of our attempts to rectify its underlying cause. So with abortion (in most cases).

And in response to republican politicians not giving a shit: I do, and anyone who takes it seriously has my vote, including democrats.

Going to bed. Work tomorrow. Or rather later this morning.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Well, rather than get into the abortion debate all over again, I'll respond to your final sentence.

Abortion is the only issue that keeps me voting republican. If it were changed, I could see myself voting for democrats sometimes. Mary Landrieu comes to mind.

I'd say liberals certainly have their streak of doing this too. Abortion, again, comes to mind. Whereas liberals are quick to point to the civilized world with respect to universal healthcare, they are slow to do the same with respect to abortion. In terms of federal laws, most of the west places limits on when abortion can be performed. When the right in the US makes noise about restricting abortion, one would think that NOW and NARAL just witnessed the apocalypse.

If you want an example of liberals being extreme, fighting tooth and nail for late-term abortions is it.

Late term abortions? As in later than what's already been declared legal by the supreme court? Please show me any mainstream democrat advocating that? Show me a democrat platform that has later term abortions as one of their goals.

Last edited:

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
You know, you and I had a brief moment of civility in another thread, so I'll reciprocate.

First, conservatives are generally no more terrible people than liberals. If you want to stereotype all conservatives as hating women and being in favor of rape, I might retort that all liberals support sucking babies' brains out during delivery.

It's very easy to come to quick conclusions about your opponent when you insist on seeing them as a monster.

Feel free to post the same amount of insane quotes made by "liberals." Otherwise, all I see is a poor attempt to say 'both sides are bad, so vote republican' without a SHRED of evidence.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
While I understand this argument, it's kind of like saying we should find a cure for poverty before we start giving out foodstamps.

Murder should be outlawed regardless of our attempts to rectify its underlying cause. So with abortion (in most cases).

And in response to republican politicians not giving a shit: I do, and anyone who takes it seriously has my vote, including democrats.

Going to bed. Work tomorrow. Or rather later this morning.

Republican abstinence only education causes more abortions, yet you support them because of their lip service to being anti abortion(and doing nothing about it).

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
Which is just code-speak for smaller gubmint, bigger corporations, & wealthier wealthy via lower taxes at the top. Same as it's been for 30 years.

You just circled back around to embracing the problem as gospel.

I always chuckle when I see that word. :D

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Unfortunately the religious idiots are responsible for a vital amount of GOP power. Being religious idiots, they're not likely to change anytime soon. So the GOP is caught between a rock and a hard place. Either reject the religious idiots outright and create a schism that would ensure Democrat dominance for years, or pander to them and suffer continuous black eyes from the dumb shit they spout.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
It's not about 'celebrating rape', it's about dismissing rape as 'not that big a deal'.

Hi question dodger. Just remember, when you are about to be raped, you may not be. If you are, just get to a safe area, use a call box, or blow your whistle. Maybe you could puke on them, or whip out your deadly ball-point pen.

See how the left are just as fucked up on the issue? Of course you don't.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
In fairness, conservatives don't generally celebrate rape either. Yes, there is a certain subset of Republicans who can be accurately mapped onto that chart, but they are a minority within the party. They are idiots, and most Republicans wince when they get public attention.

Idoits who get supported by the party during elections.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Brutal? Not really. Younger people support gay marriage. Nothing new.

And tolerance. The fact that gays are largely accepted is evidence of tolerance. What the left means by tolerance is silence. If opposition to gay marriage is indicative of intolerance, are we any less tolerant by opposing polygamous marriage? How far can we go down the path of tolerance before we reach utter indiscriminateness?

If Republicans are so concerned about traditional marriage why not tackle the bigger threat, divorce??

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The really funny part is that even if the GOP reversed their stance on all the social issues, they'd still be all wrong about the fiscal issues.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Late term abortions? As in later than what's already been declared legal by the supreme court? Please show me any mainstream democrat advocating that? Show me a democrat platform that has later term abortions as one of their goals.

Did you miss PP saying that we need to support legal abortions in all cases to avoid Gosnell cases?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
One is consensual, one isn't. At least try to look intelligent...

And if I non-consensually pick your nose I don't think you would regard that as a big deal almost on par with murder...

So clearly the consensualness of an act is not what makes it a big deal. At least try to look intelligent.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Hi question dodger. Just remember, when you are about to be raped, you may not be. If you are, just get to a safe area, use a call box, or blow your whistle. Maybe you could puke on them, or whip out your deadly ball-point pen.

Oh that's rich, the question dodger is calling ME the question dodger. Typical conservative tactic of accusing someone else of what you're guilty of yourself. When you can produce a giant list of 'the left' saying stupid shit on rape, you'll have a point. You don't. Because you're flat out retarded.

Reminder:

2Pt1F.gif

In your retarded mind the balance between liberals and conservatives are 'roughly equal' on the topic. LMAO.

The problem is if you follow typical liberal logic on sex rape shouldn't be a big deal.

If sex isn't a big deal why is rape?

What? I don't even know how to fucking respond to this. Ok Atreus, you're off the hook for saying the 'dumbest fucking thing' in this thread.

I can't even BEGIN to comprehend what goes through the heads of conservatives when they type of retarded shit like this. And idiots like Genx, Matt, and the rest of the conservative crew are complicit in this shit when you continually equate democrats/republicans, liberals/conservatives as 'being the same' and don't call out retarded bullshit like this.

Add another 'GOP rape' comment to the chart.

This is going to the sig for sure, holy shit.

Hi Matt, defend your comment after Nehelam posted what he posted. Even on ATPN the right is fucked up. You are a fucking moron.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2006
The problem is if you follow typical liberal logic on sex rape shouldn't be a big deal.

If sex isn't a big deal why is rape?

And i thought i had already read the dumbest thing i was going to read today earlier in this thread. But i think you have secured it for today at 8:36am. Good job! Your prize will be mailed out tomorrow.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
A new postmortem on the November elections from the nation’s leading voice for college Republicans offers a searing indictment of the GOP “brand” and the major challenges the party faces in wooing young voters, according to a copy given exclusively to POLITICO on Sunday.

Titled the “Grand Old Party for a Brand New Generation,” the report is sharply critical of the GOP on several fronts. The study slams some Republicans’ almost singular focus on downsizing Big Government and cutting taxes; candidates’ use of offensive, polarizing rhetoric; and the party’s belly-flop efforts at messaging and outreach, even as the report presents a way forward and, at times, strikes an optimistic tone.

Gay marriage: “On the ‘open-minded’ issue … [w]e will face serious difficulty so long as the issue of gay marriage remains on the table.”

Hispanics: “Latino voters … tend to think the GOP couldn’t care less about them.”

Perception of the party’s economic stance: “We’ve become the party that will pat you on your back when you make it, but won’t offer you a hand to help you get there.”

Big reason for the image problem: The “outrageous statements made by errant Republican voices.”

Words that up-for-grabs voters associate with the GOP: “The responses were brutal: closed-minded, racist, rigid, old-fashioned.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/06/gop-youth-vote-report-92119.html

My take:

Gay Marriage: The ship has sailed. The majority public perception of gays used to be they were a small but hardcore group of aggressively flamboyant, assless chaps wearing (yes, I know it's an oxymoron) men who going out of their way to be offensive and completely dismissive of public decency and decorum. Now gays are generally perceived as civil, suburban, child adopting, and proponents of typical middle class values and habits. Easy to oppose gay marriage when they're scaring your children at the gay pride parade, hard to oppose when you see images of loving, professional, respectful couples that look like neighbors (the neighbor who makes you feel embarassed because they upkeep their house better than you).

Hispanic: Need to change focus from "stop t3h Mexicans" to "We have rules for immigration and you need to follow them." Press for a compromise that allows "undocumented" workers to admit they broke the law and pay a decently-sized fine in return for a work permit. No citizenship pathway until all those currently in the legal immigration queue is cleared.

Economics: Opposing open-ended welfare isn't enough. People don't like seeing multiple generations on the public dole, but you need to have an alternative solution that works better since the public isn't ready to throw them to the wolves either.

Abortion: GOP is mostly right on the merits, but with no clear resolution in sight this is a battle best left unfought. Sure it motivates the hardcore partisan troops, but the larger public is tired of arguing about it and wants the issue out of sight for now. Medical advances are constantly working in the favor of the pro-life side as the age of viability gets pushed earlier and earlier, let this work quietly in the background for a while.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Added Nehalem's quote to my sig, i mean holy shit. How far does the rabbit hole of dumbass conservatives saying dumbass things go?

I think this puts him on par with Matt thinking an onion style article was actually real.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
And i thought i had already read the dumbest thing i was going to read today earlier in this thread. But i think you have secured it for today at 8:36am. Good job! Your prize will be mailed out tomorrow.

Its a totally legitimate question. If sex is regarded as little more than a handshake... why is a non-consensual "handshake" such a big deal?

Last edited:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Unfortunately the religious idiots are responsible for a vital amount of GOP power. Being religious idiots, they're not likely to change anytime soon. So the GOP is caught between a rock and a hard place. Either reject the religious idiots outright and create a schism that would ensure Democrat dominance for years, or pander to them and suffer continuous black eyes from the dumb shit they spout.

I actually feel kinda sorry for religious conservatives because they get unfairly shit on. Sure, they're terrible people, but it's not like they're the ONLY terrible people in the GOP. You have your racists, your xenophobes, your homophobes, your warmongers, your corporatists, and people who just flat out don't care about their fellow Americans. Of course, often these are all the same people ,but still, LMAO if you think you can just dump all of this on 'religious conservatives'.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Its a totally legitimate question. If sex is regarded as little more than a handshake... why is a non-consensual "handshake" such a big deal?

"If boxing and MMA aren't a big deal, then why is randomly walking up to someone and punching them in the face without their consent a big deal?"

Logic: Conservatives have none of it.

The negative correlation between conservativism and cognitive ability is iron clad (see sig)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2006

Oh sorry, I didn't realize it was a "legitimate question" . I'll just file it next to the "legitimate rape" folder.

Surely you can't be this dumb as to conclude that was a legitimate question.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
"If boxing and MMA aren't a big deal, then why is randomly walking up to someone and punching them in the face without their consent a big deal?"

Logic: Conservatives have none of it.

The negative correlation between conservativism and cognitive ability is iron clad (see sig)

Who says boxing and MMA are not big deals? Aren't they televised events? :D

And rape is normally considered to be a much bigger deal than punching someone in the face.

Lets say someone comes up and punches you and then walks off. And then you spend months pissing and moaning about it. Don't you think that eventually your friends are going to go "Phokus, being punched isn't that big a deal get over it".