Breach of Copyright!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Koroush Ghazi
Your email says:
The link to said guide has been removed as per your request. The files will remain on the server until I work on some things, but the link is no longer on my page.
My request was for you to remove the contents, not the links. You can very easily remove the contents, there's nothing to "work out". They're in breach of Copyright, remove them.

Oh, sorry about that. I was way too vague, I meant until I work on my site, which will be the next time I'm on the computer with my FTP program. It'll be done at 6AM tomorrow morning, or possible in 10 or so minutes if I can get on that computer.

The reason my name was missing from the top as the author was...?
Formatting. I know the excuse is a bad one, but that's honestly the reason. As you can see, I didn't replace it with my own name.

The reason why the source link was at the very bottom of each page, well out of view...?
Made sense to put it there, IMO. It was with the navigation, where everyone was sure to see.

The reason why you felt compelled to copy and paste my contents into your site (as others do) and then suggest you're doing it for noble reasons....?
Because I've been catering to Firefox users for a long time, why not have a guide? I'm not experienced enough to make my own.

Really, you took my guide, linked to it from digg and other places to get traffic, made some weak attempt to point to its origins, and now I'm the heavy and you're the innocent.

Of course I wanted traffic. Who doesn't? I never said I was innocent. In each and every post I admitted I was wrong. What part of that do you not understand?

This is the way most plaguarism works. When someone is caught out they suggest it was all just a harmless mistake. Again, don't expect me to email you in a friendly tone. Every single breach of copyright incident I find, the person contacted says "I will remove the material shortly", then a week later I find they're still there, the site admin hoping that I'd forget about it.

Remove my text from your site, and all will be well again. It's not complex.

When you give sources in a text it's not plagiarism. I left links to your page. And again, I will remove them as soon as I can. I don't have FTP access on this machine, it's my parents computer. I'll go try again.

And honestly, I meant nothing by it. Whether you can see that or not is dependant on you.

Jun 4, 2005
Alright, it's gone. Let me know if you find any more of your material, I mean, I doubt I missed anything but I'd rather not start this up again.

Sorry once more.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: LoKe
When you give sources in a text it's not plagiarism.

yeah it is. Take any college course, turn in an essay written by someone else in lieu of an assignment with credits to them and see what happens.

Koroush Ghazi

Apr 24, 2006
My apologies to the Moderator, as I run a fairly tight forum myself and I don't allow abuse either. I hope people can understand that it becomes frustrating when for the 50th time you find your guide has been reproduced elsewhere for no reason other than to divert traffic.

Let's call this matter resolved. I will pursue it directly with Loke via his email and/or the relevant people as needs be. I will check on the site in the next few days and hopefully the content will be gone.

Thanks again and hopefully I can do a good job on the Firefox Tweak Guide update when FF 2.0 comes out :)

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Injury
Originally posted by: LoKe
When you give sources in a text it's not plagiarism.

yeah it is. Take any college course, turn in an essay written by someone else in lieu of an assignment with credits to them and see what happens.

But that's something that's supposed to be written by you.

Jun 4, 2005
My apologies to the Moderator, as I run a fairly tight forum myself and I don't allow abuse either. I hope people can understand that it becomes frustrating when for the 50th time you find your guide has been reproduced elsewhere for no reason other than to divert traffic.

Let's call this matter resolved. I will pursue it directly with Loke via his email and/or the relevant people as needs be. I will check on the site in the next few days and hopefully the content will be gone.

Thanks again and hopefully I can do a good job on the Firefox Tweak Guide update when FF 2.0 comes out :)

Content is all gone. All of it. I'm sorry to be one of those people who steal your content, but I did not mean for it to be in a malicious manner. I hope you don't object to me leaving a link to your guide?

I'm an avid firefox lover and thank you for taking the time to write that extensive guide.