Breach of Copyright!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phlargo

Jul 21, 2004
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
Originally posted by: LoKe
im sending a link to this thread to the author.

Are you retarded?

1. The author knows I'm using the content, asked me to take it down.
2. I took it down.
3. I can photoshop whatever the hell I want.

Send it to him if you want, it'll be fun in the end.

not true. that photo is copyrighted as well since it is part of his site, and legally he owns it, meaning you must credit him, and ask for his permission to use any part of that photo, or his site.

Someone's panties are mighty twisted today.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
You seem to only provide a link to his guide on another site. Did you change it to that, or is that what he's complaining about?

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Babbles
Originally posted by: Proletariat
Go ahead MIKEMIKE its only Karma

I fail to understand how you so cluelessly think that MIKEMIKE's "karma" is being affected, when you should instead think of it in terms that the OP got nailed for hosting copyrighted material; then the OP comes here to talk about. If MIKEMIKE does follow through one could indeed say karma is at play, but it is not quite the way you think it is.

I read that as Loke's Karma coming back on him. Lack of punctuation definitely causes some confusion there....

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002

I fail to understand how you so cluelessly think that MIKEMIKE's "karma" is being affected, when you should instead think of it in terms that the OP got nailed for hosting copyrighted material; then the OP comes here to talk about. If MIKEMIKE does follow through one could indeed say karma is at play, but it is not quite the way you think it is.

I read that as Loke's Karma coming back on him. Lack of punctuation definitely causes some confusion there....

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: eelw
If you took it word for word, then yeah, that's a problem. But any of that information is hardly copyrightable by him. So if you reword what's on your page, screw him.

He put time and effort into it. I'll find another guide and get the authors permission, if not, I'll write my own. No harm done.

I think he was referring to the karma being against me, not MikeMike.

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: everman
You seem to only provide a link to his guide on another site. Did you change it to that, or is that what he's complaining about?

I changed it so the guide is still there, but he's getting 100% credit for it.

Originally posted by: squirtle24
Why would you copy the entire guide instead of just linking to it? Considering that he's using Google ads, it seems to me that you were basically robbing him of potential income.

Off-site linking isn't much fun. No one would have any reason to come to mine when they could go to the source. Didn't notice he had ads. I get like, 9 hits a day. ~_~

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Good. Nothing sucks worse than someone stealing wanted traffic to your site.

I doesn't matter a damn if you credited him for it, you didn't have permission to post it, you could have been making him lose ad revenue, and you generally seem to think that you did nothing wrong or out of the ordinary.

On top of that, you are getting what you deserved for putting your nose in other people's business. I can only hope that someone from ATOT saw it on your site and ratted you out.

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Injury

I doesn't matter a damn if you credited him for it, you didn't have permission to post it, you could have been making him lose ad revenue, and you generally seem to think that you did nothing wrong or out of the ordinary.

No, I didn't know I was doing anything wrong, but obviously I know now which is why I took it down immediately. :confused:

On top of that, you are getting what you deserved for putting your nose in other people's business. I can only hope that someone from ATOT saw it on your site and ratted you out.

I should hope so.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004

No, I didn't know I was doing anything wrong, but obviously I know now which is why I took it down immediately. :confused:

http://www.at-wiki.com/wiki/index.php/Is_this_a_copyright_violation%3F

They should have this link as a reading requirement when getting webspace.

If you want to post something on your site, the best way to do it would be a write a blurb linking to it.

"So and so has posted a excellent guide on blah blah that can help you do this or that and generally help you live a better life. (S)He has made this guide openly available so that even you can be doing this or that in no time. (link)Check out So and So's site for more information(/link)"

That not only gives you some google points, but it gives them some, too.

Jun 4, 2005

http://www.at-wiki.com/wiki/index.php/Is_this_a_copyright_violation%3F

They should have this link as a reading requirement when getting webspace.

If you want to post something on your site, the best way to do it would be a write a blurb linking to it.

"So and so has posted a excellent guide on blah blah that can help you do this or that and generally help you live a better life. (S)He has made this guide openly available so that even you can be doing this or that in no time. (link)Check out So and So's site for more information(/link)"

That not only gives you some google points, but it gives them some, too.

Now that I know, that's exactly what I did. I had no intention of wronging him, I just thought I'd share the guide, plus it adds content to my site. Thanks for the link. :)

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Why would you copy the entire guide instead of just linking to it? Considering that he's using Google ads, it seems to me that you were basically robbing him of potential income.

Very good point.

And at the bottom of his site, I see this:
"Copyright © 2006 Koroush Ghazi."

That should have been your first clue that you don't copy and paste things onto your own site without getting permission first to do so.

zanieladie

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2003
OMGosh...let's jump on Loke why don't we...

Anyway, ya did the right thing, Loke. :)

He asked you to take it down...you did. Issue is closed.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Jeff7

Very good point.

And at the bottom of his site, I see this:
"Copyright © 2006 Koroush Ghazi."

That should have been your first clue that you don't copy and paste things onto your own site without getting permission first to do so.

Whether it says copyright or not, it is copyrighted.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Wait a minute, aren't you the same guy that turned someone in for cheating?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Am I the only one who finds this threat to be a tad ironic, seeing as it applies to open souce software?

Koroush Ghazi

Apr 24, 2006
Guys, I am the author of that guide, and one of my readers referred me to this thread. Let me explain very clearly why this sort of thing bugs the hell out of me. My site only provides guides; that's all I do - write text on a page and present it to people. Now recently I've been spending more and more time writing guides, to the point where I decided to give up my day job and pursue my site full time, as is my right. I'm not asking people to pay me to view the guides, I'm not telling you that you have to pay my salary. However obviously I need income to do this, an people ripping off my guide contents, putting them on their own site "as a favor" does two things:

1. It removes my control over my own content. I update my guides very frequently, sometimes several times a month. Having all sorts of copies of them floating around means outdated or inaccurate information which I can't update.

2. It reduces my traffic. This reduces income from Google ads, and it also makes it much harder for me to get site sponsers (as per this page: http://www.tweakguides.com/sponsor.html).

Now I don't think it's unreasonable for me to be upset whenever I see people bucking the norm - which is to link to relevant articles - and copy and paste my entire guide on their own site. Worse still, he's removed my name as the author on the front page of the guide. Now he has ads on his page, so it might be cynical of me to assume that he is instead diverting traffic to increase his own income. He's also gone and put it on digg too: http://digg.com/software/Tweak_that_fox

This is what pisses me off: both the principle of the matter (i.e. blatant breach of copyright) and the fact that he's diverting my income to himself, and not for a noble cause. I have had requests from schools to use my guide material for example, and I have always let them do so for free (as long as it's not mass distributed outside the school).

So when I see my guides plaguarized, it makes me mad, and I have little patience for it. Bottom line: don't rip off other peoples' text and expect them to say thank you!

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Koroush Ghazi
Guys, I am the author of that guide, and one of my readers referred me to this thread. Let me explain very clearly why this sort of thing bugs the hell out of me. My site only provides guides; that's all I do - write text on a page and present it to people. Now recently I've been spending more and more time writing guides, to the point where I decided to give up my day job and pursue my site full time, as is my right. I'm not asking people to pay me to view the guides, I'm not telling you that you have to pay my salary. However obviously I need income to do this, an people ripping off my guide contents, putting them on their own site "as a favor" does two things:

1. It removes my control over my own content. I update my guides very frequently, sometimes several times a month. Having all sorts of copies of them floating around means outdated or inaccurate information which I can't update.

2. It reduces my traffic. This reduces income from Google ads, and it also makes it much harder for me to get site sponsers (as per this page: http://www.tweakguides.com/sponsor.html).

Now I don't think it's unreasonable for me to be upset whenever I see people bucking the norm - which is to link to relevant articles - and copy and paste my entire guide on their own site. Worse still, he's removed my name as the author on the front page of the guide. Now he has ads on his page, so it might be cynical of me to assume that he is instead diverting traffic to increase his own income. He's also gone and put it on digg too: http://digg.com/software/Tweak_that_fox

This is what pisses me off: both the principle of the matter (i.e. blatant breach of copyright) and the fact that he's diverting my income to himself, and not for a noble cause. I have had requests from schools to use my guide material for example, and I have always let them do so for free (as long as it's not mass distributed outside the school).

So when I see my guides plaguarized, it makes me mad, and I have little patience for it. Bottom line: don't rip off other peoples' text and expect them to say thank you!

dude...chill...most people agree with you:)

Koroush Ghazi

Apr 24, 2006
It was directed at the original poster :)

He has now emailed me saying he will remove the link to the page, but he hasn't removed the pages themselves, and they are still linked from digg and other places. So he's not getting the message.

Plus unfortunately this is becoming quite common on the net with my material, so I thought a clear explanation was in order :)

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Koroush Ghazi
It was directed at the original poster :)

He has now emailed me saying he will remove the link to the page, but he hasn't removed the pages themselves, and they are still linked from digg and other places. So he's not getting the message.

Plus unfortunately this is becoming quite common on the net with my material, so I thought a clear explanation was in order :)

I also stated in the e-mail that they will remain online for a a day or two(I believe I said a few days) until I get some things in order. They're no longer linked in any form, in place is a link to your guide. I'll rename the folder when I get back on the other computer(probably in the morning) so no one can access it.

Again, I meant nothing of it. I left a link to each page of your guide at the bottom of each page, not knowing this wasn't enough. I had no ill-will, no intention of diverting traffic from you, only increasing it for me. I've been a firefox fanboy ever since I started using it, and have been helping people with it for around a year or two. I don't mean to trouble you in any way, hence why I had no objections to obey your requests.

I understand the problems it causes for you now, but I didn't when I had originally posted it. I didn't notice you had ads, sponsors, or anything of the like. I thought it was simply a guide for users to use, and that it would do more good than bad to have it readily available in more places.

Again, I'm sorry and I'll have every file removed as soon as I'm able to.

No, that is not satisfactory Mr Stamm. You have sent this story to digg and other places linking to this page: http://chemicalbreakdown.net/guide.php?page=firefox

That page is still up right now with my material. Remove it immediately or I begin Google DMCA - and believe me they do follow things up. I will also contact your host. You've ripped off my guide word for word and passed it off as your own, and now and you are negotiating with me? Remove my material now - write your own, or I begin the process in 24 hours.

And, was that totally necessary? I can't edit the links in Digg, it's beyond my control to that point. I told you I'd remove it within the 48 hours notice you gave me. Pass it off as my own? I left a link to each page on each of mine.

Koroush Ghazi

Apr 24, 2006
Your email says:
The link to said guide has been removed as per your request. The files will remain on the server until I work on some things, but the link is no longer on my page.
My request was for you to remove the contents, not the links. You can very easily remove the contents, there's nothing to "work out". They're in breach of Copyright, remove them.

The reason my name was missing from the top as the author was...?
The reason why the source link was at the very bottom of each page, well out of view...?
The reason why you felt compelled to copy and paste my contents into your site (as others do) and then suggest you're doing it for noble reasons....?

Really, you took my guide, linked to it from digg and other places to get traffic, made some weak attempt to point to its origins, and now I'm the heavy and you're the innocent.

This is the way most plaguarism works. When someone is caught out they suggest it was all just a harmless mistake. Again, don't expect me to email you in a friendly tone. Every single breach of copyright incident I find, the person contacted says "I will remove the material shortly", then a week later I find they're still there, the site admin hoping that I'd forget about it.

Remove my text from your site, and all will be well again. It's not complex.

---

Koroush,

Welcome to AnandTech Forums. I just saw your post in LoKe's thread, and I understand and agree with your position. However, I believe you will accomplish more, sooner, if you start from a friendly position, instead of an adversarial one.

LoKe is online right now. Please contact him by PM (our forum Private Messaging system) to discuss this matter. You are welcome to reply to us if you need any assistance in this matter.

Thanks, and stick around for the fun. :)

AnandTech Moderator