'Boy or girl?' Parents raising 'theybies' let kids decide

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/boy-or-girl-parents-raising-theybies-let-kids-decide-n891836

Welcome to a brave new world my friends. I wonder how many theybies make it to adulthood? Bizarre that transgenderism has become trendy. What’s your opinion on theybies. Noble and progressive pursuit or the next cool thing that ends up having a negative effect on the child like the wealthy/chic anti-vaxxer parents. I can’t see how this helps the child and more than likely riddle them with psychological issues when they’re older.

It's complete recklessness and irresponsibility, and their children will pay for it.

I'm comfortable impugning someone's parenting who has no objection to withholding from his or her children the most elementary facts of life. What is a parent's role if he or she delegates such fundamental questions to the children he or she is bound to raise and support?

If you can't grow up sufficient to discern a boy from a girl, avoid parenthood altogether. You will only do harm.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
And these people are probably a fraction of 1% of the population, why do conservatives care?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Meh...I really don't care how parents dress their kids, but they need to remember...biys have.penises, girls have vaginas, and no amount of stupid gender identity bullshit is going to change the chromosomes.
See this is why we have the terms "sex" and "gender".

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Kids look happy to me. I am glad the parents are doing this, because who is to say they are wrong and everyone else is right. Hopefully they are letting researches following these kids' development.
I think it's wonderful that they are letting the kids explore their interests and passions without getting pigeonholed into gender specific sets.
I hear little 3 year old girls say stuff like I can't be a doctor, that's for boys, I will be a nurse, that's for girls. American culture sells princess mentality to girls, and macho mentality to boys, non stop.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Where did I say it was the most pressing issue? It is an issue, however. Progressive parents causing potential harm to their children over transgenders all of the sudden becoming the latest trend.
Yup and Conservative patents causing harm when trying to teach their children about the horrors of the homosexuals and the dark people.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Some people always take things too far. You have people that take exercise too far. You have parents that take sports too far. You have parents that take education too far. I personally wouldn't advocate for this style of parenting, but at the same time I'd say its a pretty small price to pay for the thousands of lives that are improved as transgenders gain acceptance in our country.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
It's complete recklessness and irresponsibility, and their children will pay for it.

I'm comfortable impugning someone's parenting who has no objection to withholding from his or her children the most elementary facts of life. What is a parent's role if he or she delegates such fundamental questions to the children he or she is bound to raise and support?

If you can't grow up sufficient to discern a boy from a girl, avoid parenthood altogether. You will only do harm.
That sounds WAY more harmful that telling your kids theres an imaginary invisible sky father figure who has all these rules that no one can agree on and people end up dead because of it.

Definitely worse.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
"A Facebook community for these parents currently claims about 220 members across the U.S."

Definitely sounds like a pressing issue. btw, what's the population of the US these days? 300 million +?

That's how it starts and as more and more parents catch on it swells to 500, then 1200, then 3000. Soon 15% of your population won't procreate because they aren't sure what a penis or a vagina is for even though they posses one.

What are the parents trying to accomplish anyway? They clearly boned to have these kids and now they want to suppress these urges in their children?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
That's how it starts and as more and more parents catch on it swells to 500, then 1200, then 3000. Soon 15% of your population won't procreate because they aren't sure what a penis or a vagina is for even though they posses one.
What are the parents trying to accomplish anyway? They clearly boned to have these kids and now they want to suppress these urges in their children?
You know life procreated for billions of years and most of it still procreates now just fine without parents telling kids anything about gender roles?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Afraid this will introduce psychological issue where there were none before. That 220 will do nothing but grow, and we have no idea what the effects could be on doing this. These parents have drank the kool-aid and their kids ultimately may suffer for it. Growing up to be kind loving peeps is a moot point when you’re slitting your wrist because of the psychological issues you can’t grasp a hold of thanks to trendy mom and pop.
So they will produce homocidal children? If they do, it wont be because of this. If you want to do that you rail on them, take away love and make sure they never grow a self worth or a self confidence.. On the other hand if you dont do that then everything else will be fine.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Soon 15%? Hehehe. Ok! :).

Reactions: paperfist

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I don't know anything about kids, psychology, or gender identity stuff, but I wouldn't equate it to anti-vaccination. Anti-vaccination has the potential to harm others. I have no idea what, if anything, raising kids this way will do to them. The word "theybies" is just terrible though. That's the real tragedy here.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004

This seems like sarcasm. It's sarcasm right?

Forcing gender roles into kids is what causes the confusion and harm. Left alone, a person most definitely figures out which pegs they like to fit into which holes. Letting them figure out how they want that to work out for them keeps them from being confused and depressed. Forcing them to accept societal norms is what causes the harm. Our species will be just fine with gay, bi, transgendered, whatverists running around having consentual sex with whomever they choose. Hell, a few more homosexuals might help curb our population problems. Just saying.

Reactions: cytg111
Nov 8, 2012
Parents have a mental disorder and should have their children taken from them. This is right up there with denying your kid vaccines as far as how stupid it is.

God forbid your kids grow up in a normal society - no no, make sure you damage their brains from birth to ignore simple science and cultural norms.

Look, I'm open to the whole "gender identity" movement when kids are a reasonable age (read: well past puberty). But right as they are born? Sickening.

Nov 8, 2012
Kids look happy to me. I am glad the parents are doing this, because who is to say they are wrong and everyone else is right. Hopefully they are letting researches following these kids' development.
I think it's wonderful that they are letting the kids explore their interests and passions without getting pigeonholed into gender specific sets.
I hear little 3 year old girls say stuff like I can't be a doctor, that's for boys, I will be a nurse, that's for girls. American culture sells princess mentality to girls, and macho mentality to boys, non stop.

What does careers or anything have to do with this? You're confusing two very different things. If a little girl wants to do karate - fuck yeah, go for it. If she wants to be a race car driver - go for it. If she wants to be a doctor, oil rig engineer, or whatever the hell it is - go for it. Career choice has nothing to do with this gender identity bullshit.

Nov 8, 2012
Forcing gender roles into kids is what causes the confusion and harm.

[Citation Required]

Left alone, a person most definitely figures out which pegs they like to fit into which holes. Letting them figure out how they want that to work out for them keeps them from being confused and depressed. Forcing them to accept societal norms is what causes the harm.

Funny, "back in the day" you know - before this gender identity bullshit was in the spotlight... The US took a lot less drugs, medications, and generally seemed more happy. Maybe I'm just crazy though, what is the current pills per person count up to now?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Wow that is some fucked up parenting IMO.

When the "girl" whips out her dick in a girls bathroom at school and is standing to piss, I wonder how the other girls in the bathroom are going to react. This is setting up these kids for all kinds of fucked up problems.

Nov 8, 2012
Ideas, like those the parents have, are a contagion. And they are pushed onto others. That's why people push back.

Exactly. I brought up the anti-vaccine movement. It started small - then it became a huge fucking issue when old ass contained diseases all of a sudden started cropping up again.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
You know life procreated for billions of years and most of it still procreates now just fine without parents telling kids anything about gender roles?

Actually...

Gender is a mixture of factors, but one is for sure biology. 99% of people identify as their assigned gender at birth. When we have cases where something happens and we try to reassign babies, overwhelmingly those babies grow up and identify as the gender they would have been assigned based on their sex.

Historically, it was accepted that if you were of XX you would be a woman. If you were born XY, you would be a male.

The reason why parents did not need to tell their kids about gender roles, is because so much of it has to do with biology. What people are now trying to do is say that gender is 100% a social construct. That goes against science and all available data.

Imagine if you will, a child being born say, homosexual. Imagine the harm you might inflict if you tell that the feelings the child feels does not come from how they are born, but how they decide to be. That being homosexual is a choice. How would that turn out?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
And these people are probably a fraction of 1% of the population, why do conservatives care?

There's no "probably." We know the exact number: 220. With the current US population at 325.7 million, that makes them .00000067% of the population. That's the phenomenon under discussion here...

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Allow me to announce that this is not an actual thing and OP got sucked into a click bait article.
Editors know that "trans" topics cause a ruckus and will occasionally ask for stories on "trending topics"
This is filler until the next tide pod epidemic.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
There's no "probably." We know the exact number: 220. With the current US population at 325.7 million, that makes them .00000067% of the population. That's the phenomenon under discussion here...

I wouldn't be shocked if 110 of those 220 are people like the OP who are concerned and are now following the activities of tjia group.