'Boy or girl?' Parents raising 'theybies' let kids decide

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2013
Its not that I don’t like what it is, your delivery is essentially trolling. How many times have we heard "thank you for your concern", or "clutching pearls..? That offers nothing of substance. I’ll add you to my ignored list.

I'm crushed. And you're still a concern troll so there ya go. :)

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I guess I’m not following. Because worse is done to kids this shouldn’t be discussed? This is obviously a growing trend in society and 220 quickly becomes 2,200 etc and the ramifications of introducing gender dysphoria to the vast majority of kids who don’t have it aren’t even close to being understood. It seems like playing with fire.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Afraid this will introduce psychological issue where there were none before. That 220 will do nothing but grow, and we have no idea what the effects could be on doing this. These parents have drank the kool-aid and their kids ultimately may suffer for it. Growing up to be kind loving peeps is a moot point when you’re slitting your wrist because of the psychological issues you can’t grasp a hold of thanks to trendy mom and pop.
Any evidence that this will cause psychological problems in people who don't have gender dysphoria?
I mean my kids were dressed in the gender neutral outfits of jeans and tee shirts (mostly because the littlest one got the hand me downs from the big one) and they seem ok.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I guess I’m not following. Because worse is done to kids this shouldn’t be discussed? This is obviously a growing trend in society and 220 quickly becomes 2,200 etc and the ramifications of introducing gender dysphoria to the vast majority of kids who don’t have it aren’t even close to being understood. It seems like playing with fire.
This isn't "introducing gender dysphoria to the vast majority of kids who don’t have it", gender dysphoria is a bit more complicated than what mum and dad dress you in.

Reactions: compcons

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
This isn't "introducing gender dysphoria to the vast majority of kids who don’t have it", gender dysphoria is a bit more complicated than what mum and dad dress you in.

Correct, but this is the entirety of their upbringing not just the kind of jeans they wear.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Correct, but this is the entirety of their upbringing not just the kind of jeans they wear.
Gender dysphoria is when your sex and gender don't match, you aren't going to cause it by calling little Johnny they rather than him (Even if it does fuck up his understanding of grammar for awhile).

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Gender is a social construct amirite? So when parents remove that from the equation entirely when the entirety of their peers are growing up in a world where gender certainly exists and in all but a tiny few cases is defined by a penis or vagina that could cause issues when their thrown into it.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Gender is a social construct amirite? So when parents remove that from the equation entirely when the entirety of their peers are growing up in a world where gender certainly exists and in all but a tiny few cases is defined by a penis or vagina that could cause issues when their thrown into it.
Surprisingly Wikipedia had a useful definition!

Although a person's sex as male or female stands as a biological fact that is identical in any culture, what that specific sex means in reference to a person's gender role as a woman or a man in society varies cross culturally according to what things are considered to be masculine or feminine.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Ok that doesn’t negate my post above..?
It wasn't meant to, I didn't realise you were making a point there.

Cultural norms change. That seems to be what you are worrying about with post 29 in this thread.
Gender definitions are pretty fluid and always have been. Guys having long hair was pretty outrageous not long ago and went against cultural norms but the idea that letting your son have hair below his collar would cause him gender issues now would be rightly looked on as daft.

I get that a few people in this thread are trolling you but you really are just going "Look at this thing I don't like! I am concerned about it!". If you have some evidence that just bringing up a child that has no other issues this way is going to cause them lasting harm it probably would have been wise to have brought it up in the OP to give people something to discuss.

Reactions: compcons

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
BTW a facebook group with 220 members really represents a mass movement. OP are you ever able to put anything into context and evaluate its total impact on society without freaking out?

This is smaller than a water bear on an elephant's ass.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
If you have some evidence that just bringing up a child that has no other issues this way is going to cause them lasting harm it probably would have been wise to have brought it up in the OP to give people something to discuss.

Do you have evidence that it won’t? This is a fairly drastic approach by these parents and the kids will be raised far outside the norms of the world around them.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Do you have evidence that it won’t? This is a fairly drastic approach by these parents and the kids will be raised far outside the norms of the world around them.
Well I'm of the opinion that we leave parenting to the parents as long as they aren't doing anything illegal. Making people prove that their actions aren't harmful before they are allowed to do them seems an onerous demand in a free country.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Meh...I really don't care how parents dress their kids, but they need to remember...biys have.penises, girls have vaginas, and no amount of stupid gender identity bullshit is going to change the chromosomes.

Reactions: UglyCasanova

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Meh...I really don't care how parents dress their kids, but they need to remember...biys have.penises, girls have vaginas, and no amount of stupid gender identity bullshit is going to change the chromosomes.

Why is boomerang hijacking boomerd's account?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Didn't read the article due to lack of interest, but if they are not pushing a Gender on their children, aka being Gender Neutral, and they are not harping on their children about making the choice, they are not promoting Gender Dysphoria. If that is how these parents are raising their children and Gender Dysphoria promotion is your conclusion about it, I surmise that you think Gender is a Social Construct more than these parents do.

That said, even though I believe people raising their kids this way mean well and way too many people in the past with Gender Dysphoria have had their lives destroyed due to their Parents and Society rejecting them, it seems to me that this condition is so rare that focusing so intensely on it is likely a waste of time. Just live your life, raise your kids to be the best they can be, and if they turn out to have Gender Dysphoria or Homosexuality, be accepting of it. It doesn't need to be ones' life mission. That said(#2), sometimes such ideas need these types of enthusiasts/revolutionaries in order for certain ideas to become accepted more widely in a Society. So even though I am somewhat dismissive of these people, I appreciate their willingness to bring attention to the issues, I just hope they don't go so far with it that it ends up hurting their kids.