BOSE ? Crap...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: UNCjigga
OK, if Bose is crap, find me a better iPod speaker set than Bose's SoundDock (same size or smaller.)

OK, if your idea of good quality sound is MP3, then yeah, Bose are not bad. But you can get cheaper product that do about the same quality sound. Form over function, just like the B&Os

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Actually, you have to be deaf to not hear the 2 gaps in frequency sweep. All home theatre in a box suck, but they don't cost an arm and a leg ( you can keep the blood though) like Bose. I guess that is my biggest beef, crappy sound but premium price.

Originally posted by: AlienCraft
I seriously doubt anyone's ability to differentiate correctly BOSE versus anything else (in a similarly sized package*) in a true double blind test.

Furthermore, I would be willing to bet at least 50% of the "golden ears" here would pick BOSE amajority of the time in simple blindfold testing.

< Knows what a"double blind test" means.

* Similarly sized package = Enclosure AND / OR Driver size / configuration

<still prefers Altec 804's in a BIG RED Enclosure w/ Mastering Lab passive Xovers and a Macintosh power amp running on 128 volts AC. 128 volts derived from an autotransformer called a VARIAC.

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
i got some www.orbaudio.com goin' on at my pad.

way cheaper than bose, imo looks better, and sounds waaaaaay better. :D

i am anti bose too - i don't want some crappy paper cones on my house!

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
I seriously doubt anyone's ability to differentiate correctly BOSE versus anything else (in a similarly sized package*) in a true double blind test.

Furthermore, I would be willing to bet at least 50% of the "golden ears" here would pick BOSE amajority of the time in simple blindfold testing.

<still prefers Altec 804's in a BIG RED Enclosure w/ Mastering Lab passive Xovers and a Macintosh power amp running on 128 volts AC. 128 volts derived from an autotransformer called a VARIAC.

You can tell almost automatically.

The highs and lows from a Klipsch setup would make a distinction instantly.

Oh, similar package, huh? True, but I bet your wallet tells the difference by several times.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
The only bose speakers I've ever had are an old pair of 301's, they sounded OK until I replaced the cheapass 8" paper woofers a few years ago with a pair of high output Kenwoods and now they ROCK!!!! 50x sound quality

GreenGhost

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
A have a pair of 10-year old bookshelf speakers (not 201 or 301, some big cube I don't remember the model). I still think they sound great. I use those to watch movies and music. I disconnected all the other surround crap. It has a great rumble that shakes the glasses in the cabinet in the next room. A friend has some Infinity that sound better, but I bet he paid more than the $150 I paid on mine :)

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: EatSpam
My Best Buy purchased Klipsch speakers sound 1000x better than my old Bose system that I threw in the dumpster. Also cost less!
Which dumpster?

The one outside my condo. They're long gone. :)

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Don't bother asking people hear. Yes, to the audiophiles, Bose is kind of a joke, but to the normal consumer, it is fine. These people who claim Bose is a joke on this board are teh same people who do sound tests with the mp3 format.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000

The other thing is that when you do an A-B comparison, the louder one will sound better.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000

I'd gladly take that bet. Put a simarly priced Bose HT setup in the room with my speakers.
I'd be shocked if ANYONE picked the Bose over mine. And you could substitute dozens of other speaker combos for mine and get the same results.
Better sound is better sound, period. You don't need so-called "golden ears", which I certainly don't have and don't claim to have, to tell the difference.

Edit, BTW, it's McIntosh. ;)

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Gibson486
Don't bother asking people hear. Yes, to the audiophiles, Bose is kind of a joke, but to the normal consumer, it is fine. These people who claim Bose is a joke on this board are teh same people who do sound tests with the mp3 format.

Why would a non-audiophile spend that much money on a cheap ass system? If they're not an audiophile, get the cheap speakers that many times out perform Bose for a fraction of the cost.

And I don't use mp3s. I do lossless CD rips and DVD audio on Klipsch 5.1s. There is a difference.

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
I find it amusing that so many people defend a company that sells a poor product at premium prices. People are sheep to marketing.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: sdifox
Actually, you have to be deaf to not hear the 2 gaps in frequency sweep. All home theatre in a box suck, but they don't cost an arm and a leg ( you can keep the blood though) like Bose. I guess that is my biggest beef, crappy sound but premium price.
You do realize that the room plays a great deal in terms of response.
As to "2 gaps in frequency sweep" please describe in detail what you're referring to, and how you derived that conclusion. Feel free to use terms such as boomy, thin, tinny and avoid actual technical data. Be sure to assume that all rooms are furnished the same, walls and floors are always the same density and of the same construction, speakers placed in the same relative positions and generally ignore any room fundamental nodes or areas of comb filtering effects. ;)

No, really all sarcasm aside. describe what you're hearing.
After doing polarity and phase tests, aligning the drivers towards the average ear heights, I 've never bothered with a single tone frequency sweep as it's absolutely of MINIMAL concern with voicing a system. In fact, using a real time analyzer only sees 2 dimensions of what is a 3 dimensional activity. As such, it's data is of limited use.
I watch the SPL meter and look for room nodes, sure, but GENERALLY SPEAKING , most consumers DON"T CARE. If the sofa jiggles a little when the T-Rex is jogging in JURASSIC PARK, or when the shells are landing in Apocalypse Now, it's all good. No one has ever said , "there did you hear that -2 db to - 4db variance between 250 and 700 cycles !?!??" or "Make sure 40 to 160 cycles is'nt overmodulating at the input of the amp, it's sure to thermal if you don't"......

Dude, if you care, you'll take note of things most people (who don't care ) wouldn't otherwise notice.

johnnqq

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
i have (didin't buy) that little black classic bose radio/cd player. it's the best quality radio of its class/size/whatever...but at the same time i just don't understand how it could cost $500!

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Gibson486

Its a waste of money for the normal consumer. Bose equipment in a normal room really doesn't sound any better than an Aiwa shelf system or other cheapy system that normal consumers ought to be buying.

And I've owned Bose, too. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't $599 good, either. It was more like $199 good.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Are they just crap for their price?
If you sat down in a room and watched a movie with expensiev BOSE speakers optimized for that room but you couldn't see, know the brand, woudl you be so bothered by the sound coming out that you'd complain?

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Mo0o
If you sat down in a room and watched a movie with expensiev BOSE speakers optimized for that room but you couldn't see, know the brand, woudl you be so bothered by the sound coming out that you'd complain?

It's more the price, and if your use to something that is better for cheaper

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: PurdueRy

It's more the price, and if your use to something that is better for cheaper

Ok that's all I wanted to know.

Feb 19, 2001
Ok so lets not say Bose is crap but say Bose is a RIPOFF.

Shouldn't we say clothes are CRAP then? Lacoste polos for $72? Please? I respect clothes, and electronics, so if you're going to smack Bose so hard, you might as well throw Nordstroms away because I bet half you nerds could get away dressing at Ross and even those Costco dress shirts could get you to work fine.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Ok so lets not say Bose is crap but say Bose is a RIPOFF.

Shouldn't we say clothes are CRAP then? Lacoste polos for $72? Please? I respect clothes, and electronics, so if you're going to smack Bose so hard, you might as well throw Nordstroms away because I bet half you nerds could get away dressing at Ross and even those Costco dress shirts could get you to work fine.
And the same arguement FOR those products can be made.... If there is a PERCEIVED higher quality to that brand, irrespective of any QUANTITATIVE increase in said quality, people will pay more for it, and not be happy if they cannot do so.

You guys really are "young" if you don't realize the market is always right. :D

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002

No, they would not complain. This is why I've said , I've never gone back and removed or replaced any BOSE system I've ever installed.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004

No, they would not complain. This is why I've said , I've never gone back and removed or replaced any BOSE system I've ever installed.

Unless they go hear an equivalent priced system in someone elses house that's not BOSE ;)