BOSE ? Crap...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
Am I wrong? :confused:

Bose: No highs, no lows, must be Bose.
Bose: Better profits through marketing.

If you want Bose quality at Koss pricing, just buy the Koss.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: EatSpam
My Best Buy purchased Klipsch speakers sound 1000x better than my old Bose system that I threw in the dumpster. Also cost less!
Which dumpster?

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
It's all crap.
It's just a matter of which crap do you like.
I have yet to remove any BOSE crap from any HT's I've set up.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
OK, if Bose is crap, find me a better iPod speaker set than Bose's SoundDock (same size or smaller.)

Nov 10, 2005
I for one, own a pair of Bose Triport headphones, and enjoy them througoughly. No other headphones I have tried noise cancel passively like these do. I also find them very comforatable. So called "audiophiles" bash Bose all of the time, and the only reason they ever seem to find is because their too expensive. I cannot rate their speaker systems, because I have never owned one, but I love the triport headphones. The sound quality is absolutely fine, I tried on some Sony V6's and Koss AA's or something of the sort - and they just don't compare. While I do enjoy the sound quality on most Sennheiser headphones, they are usually open air, and even if they are not, they do not seem as quiet as the Triports.

Also, another factor to consider, is that many of the high end headphones require an amp to be driven properly, and the triports do not. I for one do not want to pay 400 dollars for an amp, or build one. My triports are driven properly by an ipod or cd player, which is another thing I love about them.

I don't necessarily dislike other brands either, I own a pair of Koss ksc 55's and they are the best sounding behind the neck earphones I have ever used. But, as far as circumaural goes, I love my triports.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: PoisonCandyGram
I for one, own a pair of Bose Triport headphones, and enjoy them througoughly. No other headphones I have tried noise cancel passively like these do. I also find them very comforatable. So called "audiophiles" bash Bose all of the time, and the only reason they ever seem to find is because their too expensive. I cannot rate their speaker systems, because I have never owned one, but I love the triport headphones. The sound quality is absolutely fine, I tried on some Sony V6's and Koss AA's or something of the sort - and they just don't compare. While I do enjoy the sound quality on most Sennheiser headphones, they are usually open air, and even if they are not, they do not seem as quiet as the Triports.

Also, another factor to consider, is that many of the high end headphones require an amp to be driven properly, and the triports do not. I for one do not want to pay 400 dollars for an amp, or build one. My triports are driven properly by an ipod or cd player, which is another thing I love about them.

I don't necessarily dislike other brands either, I own a pair of Koss ksc 55's and they are the best sounding behind the neck earphones I have ever used. But, as far as circumaural goes, I love my triports.

Well, if you're perfectly happy with Bose's SQ, durability, and price, then I suppose no one can change your mind... <_<

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Some of their stuff is pretty good. Their car audio in some cars is excellent. Unfortuantely they aren't consisent.

I'm more than pleased wiht the BOSE system we have in our 4th gen Maxima (please don't compare it to the ones in the 5th or 6th gen as those are much worse).

And their home audio stuff sounds decent in the right room. Yes that is a major flaw in their products, their lack of compability in any area...but if you have the right room, they do sound good. I can't comment on price as I dunno how expensive they go for noramlly...but there are some decent deals on them which bring them down to a reasonable price.

Their stuff in stadiums and arenas is quite good.

In short, I don't think they deserve the critism that they get. Yes, they aren't the best sounding speakers and yes there are better alternatives, but they aren't bad either.

Anyway as long as people buy their stuff, they can spend more money on their automotive suspension research, and thats what counts! :p

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Son of a N00b
bose for your car and home theatre FTW

hey if they can charge the price of that and still make money all the power to them....while me as a consumer wishes and hates that it is that high...if I want to do it right I am getting bose
By "do it right", what do you mean? Have something better than the speakers in your TV?

If you decide to buy Bose for HT, then do yourself a favor and don't listen to anything else after you buy them.....you'll be sick.

It isn't that Bose absolutely sucks....it's just that you can buy better for a LOT less.

So if you compare the 2-3k Bose setup to a 4-500 dollar HTIB, it will be comparable....in some cases. In others, the 500 dollar HTIB will still be better than your expensive Acoustimass setup.

I have Definitive Technology speakers in a 7.1 setup. Total cost was, IIRC, around 2300, give or take a couple hundred.
I'm using separates to drive them, but you can take any half-ass Best Buy HT receiver and put it with these speakers and it will blow any Bose setup you can buy for any price completely out of the water.
Won't even be a contest.
Listen to them side by side in the same room, and nobody on the planet will say the Bose is better.
You can easily spend much less than I did and still smoke the Bose HT setup.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: UNCjigga
OK, if Bose is crap, find me a better iPod speaker set than Bose's SoundDock (same size or smaller.)

All the iPod speaker systems are crap (with the possible exception of the Klipsch iFi). Bose is the turd floating at the top of a small pile of sh!t. That's not saying much dude.

ViperVin2

Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by: jndietz
my sound system is limited to the speaker that is on my clock-radio.

hahah me too, you can't beat $9.99 mono speaker system. Fvck the Bose Wave radio crap.

jiwq

Platinum Member
May 24, 2001
I have some high end Bose Lifestyle speakers hooked up to some Monster Cable.

The packaging was VERY nice!!!

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
I seriously doubt anyone's ability to differentiate correctly BOSE versus anything else (in a similarly sized package*) in a true double blind test.

Furthermore, I would be willing to bet at least 50% of the "golden ears" here would pick BOSE amajority of the time in simple blindfold testing.

< Knows what a"double blind test" means.

* Similarly sized package = Enclosure AND / OR Driver size / configuration

<still prefers Altec 804's in a BIG RED Enclosure w/ Mastering Lab passive Xovers and a Macintosh power amp running on 128 volts AC. 128 volts derived from an autotransformer called a VARIAC.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
I seriously doubt anyone's ability to differentiate correctly BOSE versus anything else (in a similarly sized package*) in a true double blind test.

Furthermore, I would be willing to bet at least 50% of the "golden ears" here would pick BOSE amajority of the time in simple blindfold testing.

< Knows what a"double blind test" means.

* Similarly sized package = Enclosure AND / OR Driver size / configuration

<still prefers Altec 804's in a BIG RED Enclosure w/ Mastering Lab passive Xovers and a Macintosh power amp running on 128 volts AC. 128 volts derived from an autotransformer called a VARIAC.

Although I can't speak for speakers, I am fairly sure that I could diffrentiate between other headphones and Bose

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
My sig used to say overpriced, but I don't have room in it anymore.

EDIT:
I wouldn't have anything negative to say if bose cost like 1/2 or 1/3 what they charge.
They definately have the appeal of small design if that's what you really want, but they have some limitations and aren't of high or even average build quality.

Pair this up with their marketing and how they have convinced a good deal of the public that not only are they great performing speakers, but actually the best money can buy and I get irritated.

Yeah, sound is a personal preference and Bose might be the best choice for some people, but it's far from the perfect solution they make it out to be. I have those articles in my sig as info available to others as an alternative viewpoint to what they read in advertisements and testimonials by people they know that have bought Bose.

I don't claim to be an audiophile, I don't have 20 years of experience in the sound industry, but I come here on AT several hours a day and when I make a recommendation I'm trying to get people the best bang for their buck for whatever question I'm responding to in GH, Hot Deals, Peripherals, Video, etc.

If you walk into a retail store, Bose often has their own section that doesn't allow the buyer to do the kind of A/B comparison AlienCraft mentioned.
Some people will go to an AV store and if it doesn't have Bose, they'll walk right out.

Blah blah blah I'm sure you've all heard this a hundred times.

Just trying to get a little info out there with an attention getting title that might get some people to read it and get an alternate view of what's out there.
I don't have all the answers but I'd like to spread some info out that Bose isn't the only game in town.

I've had a couple dozen people thank me for the info in the link and a handful have confronted me about it negatively.

Note that the vast majority of what I'm saying is limited to the Bose HT systems and not necessarily their other product lines.