Borderlands Pre-Sequel now for sale

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
^ the supposed free UVHM/level cap upgrade to 60 should roll out today. Anyone know if it is up?

What I read, this does not require the season pass or any additional purchase. I could be wrong, but I haven't played this game in a month or so.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
^ the supposed free UVHM/level cap upgrade to 60 should roll out today. Anyone know if it is up?

What I read, this does not require the season pass or any additional purchase. I could be wrong, but I haven't played this game in a month or so.

I think I'll just get the season pass. Borderlands is a great game anyway, and great to play with a friend or two. Wish other games had an exciting co op like borderlands does.

Aug 11, 2008

That would be nice, but I finished the game with one character on normal, and moved on. Just didnt grab my interest like the other 2 games, and there were too many aggravating details to put up with. None of the characters really grabbed me either, and I did not particularly like the way the ending portrayed one of my favorite characters from the earlier game.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
That would be nice, but I finished the game with one character on normal, and moved on. Just didnt grab my interest like the other 2 games, and there were too many aggravating details to put up with. None of the characters really grabbed me either, and I did not particularly like the way the ending portrayed one of my favorite characters from the earlier game.

judo punch?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Yes, I think overall this one is the weakest offering--though it still has way more story than BL1. Still, I liked Nisha a lot and got her all maxed out.

Wasn't really into the grind to get the other classes very far, though (Well, I got Athena ~midway through TVHM, but I really got bored with it)

There are still some things I've been eying in Nisha's build, where I really want to put 10 more points, so I will be firing it up again.

as to yours and my favorite character in the series:
I loved what they did with Lilith and the original vault hunters. I thought it was a refreshing perspective to treat them as the villains, more or less, and it really isn't out of left field. Remember that: The general dialogue when playing any of them basically speaks toward their glee for constantly murdering people in horrible, terrible ways. You already know they are pretty terrible people--at least, one should be able to pick up on that. Also, Lilith is pretty pissed. in the present time, while interrogating Athena, these are the people that murdered her dude, and she wants revenge. A brutal psycopath murderer like herself, in need of revenge--I mean, how else should she react? Now, while I liked the story placing Moxxi and the vault hunters as primarily culpable in creating the evil monster version of Jack, I felt that was a little forced--It just didn't seem like Moxxi's reasoning (You're a crazy dick, I can tell!) makes any sense, considering that by all accounts, he hadn't really killed anyone prior to the story in this game and actually started off as a regular nice guy, so how did she know this? That was overdone quite a bit. But, again--they are all terrible people, and players, I thought, realized that every character in this game is pretty much a villain--at least it is mostly grey...well, except for Nisha--she is fucking evil.

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
did anyone buy/play the Holodome Onslaught? We just finished our first play through last night and are debating a true vault hunter run through or the holodome....looks like the Holodome was getting basted on Steam.....Not sure if it sucks?....seemed like folks were pissed at paying 10$ for it which doesn't bother me if it's fun.

Aug 11, 2008
Yes, I think overall this one is the weakest offering--though it still has way more story than BL1. Still, I liked Nisha a lot and got her all maxed out.

Wasn't really into the grind to get the other classes very far, though (Well, I got Athena ~midway through TVHM, but I really got bored with it)

There are still some things I've been eying in Nisha's build, where I really want to put 10 more points, so I will be firing it up again.

as to yours and my favorite character in the series:
I loved what they did with Lilith and the original vault hunters. I thought it was a refreshing perspective to treat them as the villains, more or less, and it really isn't out of left field. Remember that: The general dialogue when playing any of them basically speaks toward their glee for constantly murdering people in horrible, terrible ways. You already know they are pretty terrible people--at least, one should be able to pick up on that. Also, Lilith is pretty pissed. in the present time, while interrogating Athena, these are the people that murdered her dude, and she wants revenge. A brutal psycopath murderer like herself, in need of revenge--I mean, how else should she react? Now, while I liked the story placing Moxxi and the vault hunters as primarily culpable in creating the evil monster version of Jack, I felt that was a little forced--It just didn't seem like Moxxi's reasoning (You're a crazy dick, I can tell!) makes any sense, considering that by all accounts, he hadn't really killed anyone prior to the story in this game and actually started off as a regular nice guy, so how did she know this? That was overdone quite a bit. But, again--they are all terrible people, and players, I thought, realized that every character in this game is pretty much a villain--at least it is mostly grey...well, except for Nisha--she is fucking evil.

Yea, you blacked out part is what I didn't like. To me just seemed like too much of a turnaround to make jack some sort of sympathetic, abused character after portraying him a so totally evil in the previous game. And they didn't even touch on what he did to Angel. Nothing justifies that. But really it was just the game play that put me off. Just didn't feel like it was worth it to build up another character to have to go through that confusing ending level. Honestly, if I want to play BL some more, I will just go back and play one of the first two games again. But I guess I am just burnt out with the series, and probably won't play much more until they come out with a true BL 3.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
The game is back on sale this weekend; $16 for the game, $21 for both the game and season pass.

I was tempted to pick this up but then I went back and read some of the old reviews and realized it wasn't for me. In any event, seems like a pretty good deal if anyone is interested.

-KeithP

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
Why do you think you'd not like it? Did you like BL2? Don't let the outer space, looking for O2, premise turn you off (if that's the reason). its not a big deal and the anti gravity can be pretty fun.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Why do you think you'd not like it? Did you like BL2? Don't let the outer space, looking for O2, premise turn you off (if that's the reason). its not a big deal and the anti gravity can be pretty fun.

The things I have read about path finding and difficulty in executing some of the jumping and driving tasks makes me think there is enough frustration in the game that I wouldn't enjoy it. I certainly don't mind being challenged by a game but there is a very thin line between challenging and frustrating and I think, at least for me, it would be more the latter.

I am a little nuts :) and certain things, even though many people might consider them minor, completely sour me on a game. From the reviews I have, there are too many of those things in BLPS.

-KeithP

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The things I have read about path finding and difficulty in executing some of the jumping and driving tasks makes me think there is enough frustration in the game that I wouldn't enjoy it. I certainly don't mind being challenged by a game but there is a very thin line between challenging and frustrating and I think, at least for me, it would be more the latter.

I am a little nuts :) and certain things, even though many people might consider them minor, completely sour me on a game. From the reviews I have, there are too many of those things in BLPS.

-KeithP

There aren't that many real jumping games or driving obstacles--I think what is meant by that description is that the maps are mostly lengthened by missions that reroute over and over various pathways in the same map, or maps that double over in multiple levels. There are one or two maps that I recall where some non-story missions require you to find entrances in jump-game type puzzles.

I love the jump boosting, and getting used it it makes it more difficult to play BL1 or 2 again. The O2 thing isn't even an issue in the game--you'e only ever in danger of running out of O2 during a short sequence at the very beginning. I think the previous two games are better overall, but this one still retains a good bit of the BL humor and writing...as long as you can get past the mostly-grating Australian accents at times.