********BORDERLANDS discussion thread*******

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FuryofFive

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2005
anyone interested in playing? xfire is xxfuryoffivexx. i really wanna get a game going with some people who have mics

rangda

Nov 20, 2006
is there any special task for this?does it work with steam? id love be able to transfer money or guns

Nothing special to do, just run the game twice from Steam. Then host a lan game with one proc and join the game with the other.

Note that it is possible to erase characters doing this. Twice I've had my difficulty increasing bot erased (both times it was a new L1 character that was created to be added to the game, I'm not sure if that matters or not), but I haven't been able to pin down the exact sequence of steps that causes it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
One piece of advice that I think works out pretty well... try to keep some decent elemental-based weapons in your bag. It's always rather helpful to use corrosive and lightning at certain times. Sometimes fire weapons can be helpful, but I rarely ever use them. Corrosive will rock Lance mobs (except the corrosive warriors :p) and Lightning will destroy Vault Guardians quickly. Of course, Lightning is worthless if you're playing Mordecai and have the talent to ignore shields :p.

I used the glitch to get into Knoxx's armory without setting off the bomb... man, lots and lots of junk down there :p.

can you prevent the game from automatically equipping items you pick up?

I believe it's doing this because you have an empty slot.

Hopeless

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2004
can you prevent the game from automatically equipping items you pick up?

I'm on the 360 but I would think it's the same.

When you are picking up items that you want to sell just hit the button. If you are holding it down whatever item you have highlighted will replace your current and put the one you were using in your backpack. Holding it down does come in handy when there are a few money piles in reach as it will grab them all at once.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I believe it's doing this because you have an empty slot.

nope, i only have 2 slots available and 1 is an smg and the other is a shotgun. most weapons I pick up it automatically switches out my smg, even if it is crappier. doesn't always happen though. I usually do HOLD down the E key, so maybe i just need to press E once when picking up items? for some reason I was holding it down because just pressing didn't do anything though. i'll give it a try and see.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Oh, I have a ton of shit lying around for people... I want to give some of it to my other characters, but I have some nice shit. I have a Siren class mod that has ammo regen on it... it's only a blue quality, but hell... ammo regen is FTW.

I also have a ton of class mods for other classes lying around... they range from level 20 to level 40. I also keep a lot of guns lying around... some of the most powerful that I've found along me journeys... such as my level 4 orange quality assault rifle :p.

I'll see if I can make a list or something.

nope, i only have 2 slots available and 1 is an smg and the other is a shotgun. most weapons I pick up it automatically switches out my smg, even if it is crappier. doesn't always happen though. I usually do HOLD down the E key, so maybe i just need to press E once when picking up items? for some reason I was holding it down because just pressing didn't do anything though. i'll give it a try and see.

Oh weird... I never know about any of the commands in the game since I don't have an actual manual. For the longest time, I never knew you could lock onto a target in a vehicle... you know how hard it is to fight them while playing chicken? :p

I usually just run around spamming 'e' when I want to pick shit up (when near a vendor). Unless I need to find what's worth the most and then I look around and just hit it.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I finally got to the "end" of Knoxx.

I have a lot more missions to finish, but i took on Knoxx, & then went into the Armory.
Luckily i had a friend with me who'd already finished it a few times, & she showed me how to get into the Armory w/o triggering the big explosions. :D
So i spent the next 20 minutes overwhelmed by the sheer insane number of amazing weaps, agonizing over what to drop & what to keep.
Now am level 58, but still have a ways to go to in terms of stuff to do in Knoxx, & will be playing more w/ other characters once done there.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The cheat isn't too bad... I found it on the Borderlands wiki...

All you do is go to the beginning of the hallway that leads to the control room (note that it's NOT where the door is, but you should see the shielded-off lockers on your left and right). Crouch down and face your camera toward the floor. Then just move around and you'll fall right down onto a pipe. Just drop down again and you're fine.

Just don't open any chests practically right by the waypoint.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
I think the game was worth the money, but a lot of the missions (like the bounty hunter missions) were really competitive.

The online gameplay thing was complete BS. If you were more than 1 level lower than everyone else, you were worthless and just had to hide while everyone else did the fighting. The multiplayer didn't add anything.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
God... I should have listened to people when they told me not to buy this piece of junk. Horrible game. I am playing with a Siren and I cant kill anything. Enemies are way overpowered, skill trees are lame, good weapons are way too rare. Same enemies again and again. Quests are incredibly lame and unispired. People online feel like they are all no more than 13 years old... There's just no one to play with. The only good thing about this game is the gfx. Very nice and unique.

Steam, I want my money back damnit!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I've been playing SP and some stuff is ridiculously easy and then other stuff is ridiculously hard. there's not much in between. good thing I bought it during the sale and didn't pay full price.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
God... I should have listened to people when they told me not to buy this piece of junk. Horrible game. I am playing with a Siren and I cant kill anything. Enemies are way overpowered, skill trees are lame, good weapons are way too rare. Same enemies again and again. Quests are incredibly lame and unispired. People online feel like they are all no more than 13 years old... There's just no one to play with. The only good thing about this game is the gfx. Very nice and unique.

I think I found things overpowered (playing as a soldier) until around level 10 or so. And by overpowered I mean it was at least a challenge. After that point you have more quests available than you need to level with the plot. So if you do what I did and do all the optional sidequests you'll find yourself running 2-3 levels above the plot mission level for the entire first play through and will hit level 50 in play through two around the time you hit Rust Commons East. For that entire span of time I was terribly overpowered and most missions were a joke. Only by the very end of the second play through did the enemies get closer to my level. Now that I'm done with the second, everything is L50 and things are pretty even.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I only ever had problems with enemies being too powerful in the beginning. Also, the skill trees aren't lame, they just aren't very good until you can invest significant points into them.

Like I mentioned, if anyone needs items, I have a ton of shit sitting in my banks including some nice class mods and great low level or even high level guns (Playthrough 1 mostly).

wrbt

Oct 9, 2009
I just started this game SP last night, and I've found it to be really enjoyable and somewhat addicting. For some reason finding really cool guns is a great motivator.

The little trashcan robot needs to go though.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I just started this game SP last night, and I've found it to be really enjoyable and somewhat addicting. For some reason finding really cool guns is a great motivator.

The little trashcan robot needs to go though.

Yeah, i got addicted to it.

I don't really know why, since it's not my normal type of game.

The gun collecting, it's a large reason i play it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Pardon the horrible quality & editting & lack of sound, i'm n00b when it comes to video stuff.

Here's my primary Siren pretty much just running around killing things on Zombie Island.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx0VyYgDiFY

Takes you an awful long time to kill something 10 levels below you :p. You should see my Siren tear up that place (if I could get unlazy enough to install FRAPS again).

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Hehe, yeah.

I only have 2/5 Radiance w/ that skill tree build IIRC though, so it wasn't doing nearly the damage it could have been.

I really wish they let you make multiple skill tree builds as the game goes on, so you could easily equip based on class mods, etc.

Having to reset & redo is annoying, & not really viable when you really would like to do it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
That'll do it :p. I play the ever-so-common Merc Syren and my gun literally shoots 4 bullets at once, so it's really not hard for me to mow something down quickly. It literally requires the merc mod to support that gun's hefty ammo requirements though. Although, during the Crimson Lance-based arena fights, I literally went out of bullets even with the ammo regen. But, I have two SMGs... one has ammo regen on it as well, so it regens very quickly.

But my soldier has spoiled me a bit... on him, I use very high accuracy assault rifles... we're talking 91%+ minimum and preferred 1.5x+ zoom. I literally don't even use sniper rifles on him because my guns are so accurate and the power I get from my class mod + everything else just makes snipers worthless. I could really use a good SMG with high accuracy, good zoom and rapid fire (not necessarily fast rate, but not burst... I hate burst).

EDIT:

One benefit of using ARs for everything on the soldier... very high AR weapon levels. I think I'm already at my Siren's SMG weapon level and I'm 10 levels below her. I think my next highest is snipers with a proficiency of 2?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i started up again. if anyone wants to play MP together let me know.

i have a level ~8 brick right now

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
i started up again. if anyone wants to play MP together let me know.

i have a level ~8 brick right now

Speaking of Brick, I have some thoughts on how to play him...

I want to go for a melee heavy build and with the specific build, I can get it to having a... I think it's 3 second period when I cannot use his special. Best of all, I've been keeping guns with good +melee modifiers... I have a green pistol right now with +200%... I assume this works with his special?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Speaking of Brick, I have some thoughts on how to play him...

I want to go for a melee heavy build and with the specific build, I can get it to having a... I think it's 3 second period when I cannot use his special. Best of all, I've been keeping guns with good +melee modifiers... I have a green pistol right now with +200%... I assume this works with his special?

no clue.

i was going to go for a gun-focused build :)