********BORDERLANDS discussion thread*******

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
WOW!!

Finally something refreshingly new as well as beautiful for the PC.
Borderlands really looks to be something special.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Could be fun but I'd prefer some kind of MMOFPS instead of the guild wars style 4 person coop mode.

But a step in the right direction imo.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: OCNewbie
Originally posted by: pontifex
cell shading = failed garbage.

Not much of a fan of the cell shading look either. I wasn't that impressed.

i absolutely hate it. it looks awful in every game that uses it. the worst design idea to come to gaming ever.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
If it is an intelligent, satirical game, like FO3, then yes.

However, if it is Serious Sam 3 with quests, then no.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
umm, no thanks - cell shading.

I wouldn't mind a good MMOFPS though.

Wouldn't we all. Unfortunately the trend seems to be "lobby-style"-FPS ... er, "MMO"s. Huxley, CrimeCraft, Global Agenda, etc. There's nothing really massive about them. It's just CounterStrike with a graphical lobby system.

PlanetSide, oh how I miss thee.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
umm, no thanks - cell shading.

I wouldn't mind a good MMOFPS though.

Wouldn't we all. Unfortunately the trend seems to be "lobby-style"-FPS ... er, "MMO"s. Huxley, CrimeCraft, Global Agenda, etc. There's nothing really massive about them. It's just CounterStrike with a graphical lobby system.

PlanetSide, oh how I miss thee.

Yeah I read the wiki for Borderlands and I'm still confused about how the multiplayer aspect actually works. My best guess it's like Diablo 2, with no common areas at all, and a lobby system, but it could be like Guild Wars too with common towns but everything else is instanced. By the sounds of it the instanced parts are capped at 4 players too.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Cell shading wasn't exactly at the top of my wish list, but if it's a good game, I'll buy it anyways.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Comic style black outlines don't equate to cel style shading. :roll:

Personally I thought the graphics looked fine though I would prefer without the outlining. Champions Online has a setting to toggle the black outlines, and I can't imagine this company not implementing something similar. IMHO it looks fun, and denouncing it for something so insignificant makes people come off sounding like they have an agenda (usually fanboyism, or in Pontifex's case... just not liking anything at all :p)

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
IMO if a developer is gonna go cell shaded, they should go all out with the stylized comic book look and combine flashy 2D art with the 3D cell shaded graphics. Otherwise it just looks dull.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
I've thought before that a mmofps might be cool and it's nice to see one finally coming out, but the design of this game looks like a formula for fail.
I think using the Source engine with more of a TF2 type world would have been better unless they can really polish the look by release.

If there isn't a subscription fee (doubtful), then I might get it in the bargain bin. But no way I'm paying $$/mo to play ANY game.

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Originally posted by: mb
I've thought before that a mmofps might be cool and it's nice to see one finally coming out, but the design of this game looks like a formula for fail.
I think Source would have been a great engine for this game unless they can really polish this one up.

If there isn't a subscription fee (doubtful), then I might get it in the bargain bin. But no way I'm paying $$/mo to play ANY game.

:confused: This isn't in any way an MMO game. This is an action rpg/fps with coop gameplay along the lines of Diablo 2. There definitely will not be any subscription.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: CottonRabbit
I think Source would have been a great engine for this game unless they can really polish this one up.

:confused: This isn't in any way an MMO game. This is an action rpg/fps with coop gameplay along the lines of Diablo 2. There definitely will not be any subscription.

Oh I see, I can't seem to read anymore. my bad. 4 player coop..

eh and I just watched some of the game play videos in HD. If it's coming out next month it's still gonna look like a turd.

I'll pass.

I still want a MMOFPS!

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
On a side note, Fallen Earth "looks" similar but with mostly one open world like WoW. FPS RPG MMO set in post apocalyptic grand canyon USA. It's out in just the last week, but beyond the above I know nothing else about the game.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
On a side note, Fallen Earth "looks" similar but with mostly one open world like WoW. FPS RPG MMO set in post apocalyptic grand canyon USA. It's out in just the last week, but beyond the above I know nothing else about the game.

What are the subscription prices?

The subscription price is $14.99 for one month with discounts for purchasing three months ($13.99/month), six months ($12.99/month) and one year ($11.99/month).

Lame.

It's a shame so many people have supported the subscription model. It never should have happened and needs to cease.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

The subscription price is $14.99 for one month with discounts for purchasing three months ($13.99/month), six months ($12.99/month) and one year ($11.99/month).

Lame.

It's a shame so many people have supported the subscription model. It never should have happened and needs to cease.

It makes perfect sense for modern MMORPGs

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006

Lame.

If you're playing on their servers it's absolutely fine, and no, it won't cease.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I have high hopes for this game. It could be real fun, but it could also turn out to be a huge POS.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: JD50

Lame.

It makes perfect sense for modern MMORPGs

Agreed.

Koudelka

Jul 3, 2004
Originally posted by: HeXploiT
WOW!!

Finally something refreshingly new as well as beautiful for the PC.
Borderlands really looks to be something special.

no offense, but how can you call it beautiful? its cell shading.

Graphics are nothing to boast about here.