Borderlands 2... another AAA title bites the FXAA bullet......

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
BL1 was fun for a week or so, but I couldn't finish it as the boredom started to hurt my brain.

I didn't enjoy the first part of the game, but enjoyed it immensely probably half way through it. This was single player...never played co-op.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I didn't enjoy the first part of the game, but enjoyed it immensely probably half way through it. This was single player...never played co-op.

Then you're doing it wrong. :colbert:

This kind of game is meant to be played with friends. Especially if you guys are LANing it up, and drinking! haha.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
Really? I remember I just changed my ID code to an nVidia product and MSAA worked on my Radeon HD 5870. It only took me 1 minute.

Gotta love the PC community. :D

Yes, that time. Where all people hated nVidia for pushing AA. Now people hating nVidia for not pushing it. :whiste:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Here was the technical reason for no TXAA in Borderlands 2:

TimothyLottes said:
No TXAA in BL2. There is a core problem in that without DX10.1 or later, there is no support for texture fetch from an MSAA surface, which means any DX9 based game doing cell shading, will be appling the cell shading in a post process using the resolved depth buffer, and effectively adding back all the aliasing. So in the future for a cell shaded title, one would need to do the cell shading post process before resolving the MSAA buffer.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=33856875&postcount=365

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Yes, that time. Where all people hated nVidia for pushing AA. Now people hating nVidia for not pushing it. :whiste:

So, you're saying it's nVidia fault? I'd never thought I'd read that from someone like you. Interesting.

Here was the technical reason for no TXAA in Borderlands 2:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=33856875&postcount=365

I never asked about TXAA. I recall being bummed when Timothy posted that since it would have been nice to see another implementation of TXAA versus The Secret World. I think the comic book art style of BL2 would have done much better masking the blur (as I think it will do with FXAA.)

With the efforts they put into the PC options, again, it just sucks they missed the AA bullet.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
So, you're saying it's nVidia fault? I'd never thought I'd read that from someone like you. Interesting.

Sure. Why do you think this thread exists? I mean there is no thread about Sleeping Dogs or Sniper Elite 2. o_O

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Sure. Why do you think this thread exists? I mean there is no thread about Sleeping Dogs or Sniper Elite 2. o_O

Feel free to point out who was the first person to imply wrong doing by nVidia (hint, it isn't an obvious pro-AMD user) in this thread.

Any other impications you want to make? And I'm told this place has an AMD Agenda? Seems to go both ways, sheesh.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
Sleeping Dogs has SSAA

It's Downsampling. With a nVidia card you have it in every game even without an option.

Feel free to point out who was the first person to imply wrong doing by nVidia (hint, it isn't an obvious pro-AMD user) in this thread.

Any other impications you want to make? And I'm told this place has an AMD Agenda? Seems to go both ways, sheesh.

Look at the thread starter. And ask him why he did no open threads about Sleeping Dogs and Sniper Elite 2.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Look at the thread starter. And ask him why he did no open threads about Sleeping Dogs and Sniper Elite 2.

Seems like you just did. Guess we can wait for an answer, right ;)

Glad this devolved into another hate-conspiracy thread. Takes two to tango, and I'm done dancing :D enjoy the party you started.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I will wait until I actually play the game before commenting on any missing or unneeded AA methods.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I don't know how BL2 ever got listed as a TXAA title in the first place. We've known for ages that BL2 is a DX9 game, and you can't implement TXAA on DX9 because it lacks the custom sample resolve pattern functionality that TXAA relies on.

I wasn't aware that BL2 was known as DX9 for so long. When I saw it advertised as one of the TXAA titles, I assumed it would be similar to the
TWIMTBP program in BAC; DX11, Physx & Tessellation. Perhaps that was the plan at some point and the DX11 was dropped.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I wasn't aware that BL2 was known as DX9 for so long. When I saw it advertised as one of the TXAA titles, I assumed it would be similar to the
TWIMTBP program in BAC; DX11, Physx & Tessellation. Perhaps that was the plan at some point and the DX11 was dropped.

I think that advertisement was for PhysX & TXAA (possibly other things too), I could be wrong though does anyone still have it?

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
DX11 was never mentioned with Borderlands 2. Only TXAA was the other "nVidia-feature".

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
DX11 was never mentioned with Borderlands 2. Only TXAA was the other "nVidia-feature".
DX11 was most certainly mentioned. Nvidia had made a mistake and had to go back and pull the DX11 and TXAA designations.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I think that advertisement was for PhysX & TXAA (possibly other things too), I could be wrong though does anyone still have it?

I remember it like that which caused confusion. Someone posted an image in the TSW thread where it listed BL2 but the wordering wasn't very specific. Timothy confirmed it wasn't in place which seem caught everyone in the thread by surprise.

It was just a slide pic and listed various companies supporting TXAA & PhysX.

zlatan

Mar 15, 2011
There are many misunderstanding with post-process AA's. DLAA, FXAA, MLAA (any solution), and SMAA is tweakable, and if a developer built these or one of them to the game engine, they will tune it for optimal graphics (some may not :().
As for the driver based approach. They are general solutions for all games but not optimal. Anybody can see that AMD's MLAA2 is better than NV's FXAA (referring to this), but it is important to know that this is just true for the actual implementations in the drivers, but may not true for a custom tuned solution.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Some flags work in BL2.

No AA

e6Ki3.jpg

0x200012C1 works for SGSSAA and SSAA

4xSGSSAA

oNue1.jpg

2xSSAA

etG4v.jpg

Both settings are reasonably playable, but 2xSSAA plays better for me, while 4xSGSSAA looks the best.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Obviously with that flag you can run 4xSSAA or 8xSGSSAA etc, both are totally unplayable. What I am not getting is that I cannot run just 4xMSAA using that flag. If I do the jaggies are just as bad as no AA at all.

Maybe I am missing something or just not understanding the settings... but it seems strange as SGSSAA works off MSAA. I would rather just use straight 4xMSAA since the performance hit of SGSSAA and SSAA causes some noticeable drops in heavy action.