Borderlands 2... another AAA title bites the FXAA bullet......

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Either I'm too old or just lazy, but I don't even care if a game supports AA as long as it displays in 1080p. The Jaggies of today just don't bother me like they did at Lower Resolutions way back in the days of yore.

Im with you. If the gameplay is fun, I don't seem to mind anymore. I think PC Gamers in general have high standards for games. Still, seeing PC Gamers spend upwards of $1000 on hardware, I can understand the frustration with not being able to properly enjoy it.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
So, someone want to explain to me why FXAA makes objects in the distance clearer (negating DOF) and makes object closer to the player blurrier (not too much, but noticeable.)

Been tinkering with the options and getting PhysX Hybrid going, and I noticed FXAA has a weird tendency to make objects in the distance not be affected by DOF.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
I haven't noticed that.
But I don't like FXAA in this game, so I'm using SMAA atm.
Maybe I'll tinker with FXAA injector later, but I doubt.

Also... this game would get nothing with TXAA . There are no long horizontal and vertical lines to flicker.
Nice and crisp goes with BL2, not dreamy and fuzzy.

PhysX OTOH is easily the most spectacular implementation of it.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Yeah.. The pools of blood that travel around the ground like mercury and vanishes when you step on it - amazing. Very realistic. derp

Well... if it's not realistic,

and if BL2 chemistry/physics is nothing like what you have seen while visiting Pandora, just turn PhysX off. No need to rage.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Well... if it's not realistic,

and if BL2 chemistry/physics is nothing like what you have seen while visiting Pandora, just turn PhysX off. No need to rage.

Not raging, just not seeing whats so spectacular about it. I really shouldn't have used the word realistic.

The blood blobs would have been cooler if it just laid where it fell and you only created bloody footsteps when walking through it instead of it disappearing.

Last edited:

awdrifter

Nov 10, 2006
FXAA is really not that bad. It provides very good anti-aliasing with minimal IQ and performance loss. Borderlands uses the Unreal Engine 3 so it doesn't support MSAA anyways, I rather have the option to use FXAA rather than no AA at all. I actually uses the FXAA injector for Borderlands 1.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
it looks better with SMAA. I removed the black outline too and now the game looks pretty cool and the jaggies really cant be noticed.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I haven't noticed that.
But I don't like FXAA in this game, so I'm using SMAA atm.
Maybe I'll tinker with FXAA injector later, but I doubt.

Not that I was trying to find an issue, but when I switched FXAA in the options I instantly saw a blurred mountain peak (blurred due to DOF) pop up crystal clear while objects directly in front of me gained a little blur - which sort of baffled me.

FXAA Off - Satellite looks blurry:
BryDW.jpg

FXAA On - Satellite has more visible detail:
HngtR.jpg

Just one example, I found this to be very common while trying it in other areas. Kind of weird.