BOINC: Windows to Linux

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Something I noticed about Mint 19 is that "/var/lib/boinc" is now just a link to "var/lib/boinc-client." If I want to create a second instance, would it be more "Kosher" to keep with the new convention and use something like "boinc-client2," or does it matter at all?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Error 155 also happened in my experiment where I gave a wrong password. Check the contents of "gui_rpc_auth.cfg" once more to be sure.

If it turns out that you need to change "gui_rpc_auth.cfg", shut down and restart the client afterwards. Merely re-reading config files is not sufficient to apply this change, if I remember correctly.
I have checked and rechecked and reedited, and added a <cr> after the password, changed the privs, it is correct. Lmint 19 works OK, this is 18.3, which is why its goimg to get reformatted, since I can't figure this out,.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
So I have 48 cores idling right now since I'm such a noob at Linux and can't quite get multiple instances going yet. Perhaps the wrong time and wrong machine to begin a switch, but it's too late to fix it now. By this evening I can simply turn networking back on and be back in business.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Something I noticed about Mint 19 is that "/var/lib/boinc" is now just a link to "var/lib/boinc-client." If I want to create a second instance, would it be more "Kosher" to keep with the new convention and use something like "boinc-client2," or does it matter at all?
It doesn't matter.
My 2x14C hosts (which were built for simulations before I and them were infected with the DC virus) have a SATA system SSD and a PCIe NVME scratch SSD. I put the boinc instances, including the primary one, on this NVME SSD. That is, even the primary boinc client has its data directory at an entirely different path, outside of /var. Of course I modified the responsible service config file accordingly.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I didn't think that it mattered, but I guess the question within the question is why they changed it. Fixing stuff that wasn't broken?

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Some Linux distributions have /var/lib/boinc, others /var/lib/boinc-client. Mint now has both, apparently.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So I have 48 cores idling right now since I'm such a noob at Linux and can't quite get multiple instances going yet. Perhaps the wrong time and wrong machine to begin a switch, but it's too late to fix it now. By this evening I can simply turn networking back on and be back in business.
Why do you need multiple instances ? linux can run 48 threads easily on one instance. Not if you HAVE to run multiple instances for fancy bunkering or something, then fine.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Yes, I'm bunkering. Amicable did not give many tasks before bed last night, this morning, it was all done.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Extra instances also come in handy if one wants to run two projects in parallel and wants to control both projects' work buffers separately. (E.g. prevent the client from fetching too much work for one and too little for the other project.)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I just re-installed mint19 on the troublesome computer. It kept crashing until I was able to get the video drivers installed, all is fine now. 1 1/2 hours work. boinctasks works fine, just update remote_hosts and that gui file, and reboot, and BAM, all is good.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Just installed Mint 19.1 on my TR this morning. The only BOINC GPU project I can get tasks for is Enigma. Is Milkyway/Einstein/GPUGrid really all out of tasks? Or do I need to do something more? I've installed/updated the drivers, and Enigma works, so.....?

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Just installed Mint 19.1 on my TR this morning. The only BOINC GPU project I can get tasks for is Enigma. Is Milkyway/Einstein/GPUGrid really all out of tasks? Or do I need to do something more? I've installed/updated the drivers, and Enigma works, so.....?

Einstein and Milkyway are opencl, so I install the generic icd loader.

sudo apt install ocl-icd-libopencl1

sudo service boinc-client restart

GPUGrid and enigma are cuda apps. Perhaps GPUGrid is out of tasks?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Einstein and Milkyway are opencl, so I install the generic icd loader.

sudo apt install ocl-icd-libopencl1

sudo service boinc-client restart

GPUGrid and enigma are cuda apps. Perhaps GPUGrid is out of tasks?
If you are using the 415 or later Nvidia drivers, those error out, as they are already loaded as part of the driver. I have to have 415.27 for my 2080TI cards.

If you are on an earlier version, here is what I had for previous installs:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-opencl-icd-387

sudo apt-get install libcuda1-387

sudo apt install ocl-icd-opencl-dev

sudo apt-get -y install python-gnome2 mesa-common-dev freeglut3-dev nvidia-settings gedit

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
I have tested Asteroids, they run, and are also Cuda. So I will get the OpenCL stuff installed ASAP and get back with ya. Oh yeah, GPUGrid is having Linux issues (likely expired license of some sort).

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Thanks Mark, the OpenCL code did the trick.

And thanks Mark, the other lines will be needed when I install F@H perhaps? (tomorrow)
The dev one probably is the most impotant. Also, make sure you do the below in a terminal window:

Install fah client and console using these links:
<edit just go to the site.... Do fahclient and fahcontrol>
--- Then
cd /var/lib/fahclient
--<most important !!!!>
sudo wget http://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/GPUs.txt
sudo service FAHClient stop
sudo service FAHClient start
--Then fire up fahcontrol and add the GPU client(will show under education in the menu), and maybe also the remote access by adding ,192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255 to the two IP places

Reactions: TennesseeTony

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
@crashtech did you ever get everything up and running as you'd hoped?
No! I got really busy, and also hung up on finding a different cross-platform remote desktop app. I think Chrome's new one might work, and now that we might not be doing FB Sprints anymore, it might be a good time to begin migration. I'm also thinking about getting a KVM to laptop adapter, so I can install OSes on my headless machines without moving them or dragging a monitor and keyboard around. They are expensive, though!

I have a tremendous amount to learn about doing DC in Linux.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
No, what I actually need is a setup like a "crash cart," but instead of the cart, you use a laptop with a dongle that goes to the VGA and USB on the headless machine. Then you can control the machine via the laptop. All my rigs ended up being spread out to avoid circuit overload, the building they are in is old.

Reactions: Modular

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
No, what you actually need is an open space for a double breaker, a 30 amp double breaker, 30ft of 10gauge cable, a dryer outlet, a dryer cord, and a 'breakout box' filled with 120v outlets attached to the dryer cord... ;)

(Unless you need more than ~5000 watts, in which case you would substitute 6 gauge wire, 50 amp breaker, oven outlet and oven plug...)

.....and a 16 port KVM.

Or if this is in perhaps say, a place of automotive body repair, Welder outlets/plugs might be advisible, and tax deductible. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Modular

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Well... you make a compelling argument! I'll probably have to stick with the smaller investment for now, but you've definitely got me thinking!

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
Any Desk seriously works good on either Win or Linux. If choosing to use it on Linux go to Any Desk's website and install from there, NOT the software manager in Linux- it leaves out needed files for some reason. (From what I have experienced YMMV- then again remember who said this)

Reactions: emoga

emoga

May 13, 2018
Any Desk seriously works good on either Win or Linux.

I switched from Teamviewer to Anydesk after the 'commercial use' spam.
It's great!

Wish I had done it earlier.
38192.gif

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I had a problem with Anydesk myself, where a couple of the machines would become unreachable sometimes until I rebooted them. That's a bit of a pain when the bulk of the compute power is at work, and I am at home. But then Chrome came out with a new version of their remote desktop app and it seems to work pretty well now. Supposedly it also works in Linux, so I'm going to stick with it if possible since It has a nice simple interface and I know it.

I did love Teamviewer, but I got hammered by their commercial use detection algorithm also.