Black Mesa Source Countdown

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Watch it's just a trailer or an announcement that they're waiting for the HL3 engine to port both HL and HL2 to : p

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Damn it's finally coming out and I'm busy with Guild Wars 2. I've been wanting to play this for so long. It'll have to wait now.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Cool, I've held off playing the original because the graphics and sound track are so dated. Black Mesa took so long to be finished I was losing hope of ever playing the game.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Cool, I've held off playing the original because the graphics and sound track are so dated. Black Mesa took so long to be finished I was losing hope of ever playing the game.

That sucks because the original is one of the best games ever.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Ok whoa, I'm out of the loop. I am so buying this. First I've heard of it.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Haha! Shows my ignorance! I am SO downloading this!

Yeah you are... especially because it's been the DNF of mods as it was announced pretty much as soon as HL2 came out. We've talked about it a lot :\

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
I beat all the Half-Life games (even the Decay PC port) awhile ago with a friend using some co-op mods.

Looking forward to beating this co-op. Unknown if it will have official co-op built in or need a 3rd party mod.

Looks awesome!

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003

Hearing about someone who's never played Half Life is always kind of like meeting someone whose never seen Star Wars; it's shocking. :p
Easily one of the most influential, and best, FPS of all-time, hands down.

veri745

Golden Member
Oct 11, 2007
Holy Crap!

I had lost all hope of ever playing this a long time ago. I can't believe it's been 8 years since they announced it.

I'll be more than happy to download and give it a shot, though.

The large chunk of Half-Life that is finished lets players guide hero Gordon Freeman to a section of the original gameplay known as Lamda Core. Finishing this first chunk should take players between eight to 10 hours.
The final section yet to be finished takes place in the alien Xen dimension. An expanded Xen section would be released at an unnamed date in the future, said the team.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19463712

Last edited:

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Hearing about someone who's never played Half Life is always kind of like meeting someone whose never seen Star Wars; it's shocking. :p
Easily one of the most influential, and best, FPS of all-time, hands down.

There's a lot of games from the 90s that just never interested me because the graphics were just so poor. I could tolerate it for some games like Doom and Star Wars Rogue Squadron because the artwork was good, but even then I spent the entire time playing them wishing the graphics were dramatically better. These days you hear quite a few developers saying graphics have finally gotten good enough they aren't a major concern and I have to agree. If anything it seems modern games have better graphics than I need, but the gameplay dynamics often suck as if developers have overcompensated for the problem.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
This looks very cool, I'd definitely be interested in replaying Half-Life with updated graphics.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Only people who are blinded by nostalgia think that.

Eh, for the time it was very good. Replaying it now you definitely lose something but mainly because so many games have expanded on what HL did at the time.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Does anyone know if Opposing Force, Blue-Shift or Decay has or is getting a Source remake too?

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I'll be the cynic here. This is probably just a way to get page hits. Even the video ends with 2009... LOL - They probably just did some CGI work. If I am wrong, great - But being that this was anounced and in magazines way back in 2004...

edit ** clicked on some more links. Also read posts #25 said it goes to the core. So, I dunno... I admire the hard work they have put into it, but I feel it was be dissapointing. I am still skeptical on whether it will be released September 14th...

Last edited: