Black Mesa Source Countdown

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
If they can just get to releasing the mod I'm sure they'll find lots of people willing to help them improve it in countless ways.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
The problem I have with HL1 is that early 3d was so mind numbingly bad. I can go back and play 2d games like old SNES games and I am blown away by the artistry in it. They still look really good to this day. I see 2.5d games like Doom and again I think it looks good enough.

Then I boot up HL and it's like they thought the full 3d would be able to carry the entire game because I find the art to be blindingly ugly. Almost like better art direction and aesthetic could have gone a long way in a game like that. After seeing the vid above I'm glad it's coming to the HL2 engine. I always thought it had a great performance:quality ratio.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Been looking forward to this for ages, day 1 download.

Also it's free to anyone who owns any source game (I don't know if that includes TF2), not specifically HL2.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Only people who are blinded by nostalgia think that.

:rolleyes:

And only people who weren't playing games at that time and have no idea what they're talking about would think that

For those of us who WERE, it was an astounding game. No nostalgia about it, chief. This is proven by how it won something like 50 Game of the Year awards alone, had some of the highest review scores of any game up to that point, let alone FPS.

Most importantly, it became the new Doom. It was the new standard that other FPS were judged against, and everything started borrowing and using its ideas, which is the truest sign of greatness.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
:rolleyes:

And only people who weren't playing games at that time and have no idea what they're talking about would think that

For those of us who WERE, it was an astounding game. No nostalgia about it, chief. This is proven by how it won something like 50 Game of the Year awards alone, had some of the highest review scores of any game up to that point, let alone FPS.

Most importantly, it became the new Doom. It was the new standard that other FPS were judged against, and everything started borrowing and using its ideas, which is the truest sign of greatness.

I wasn't talking about how good it was back then, I was saying it's not the best game of all time. I don't know where you got the idea that I wasn't old enough to be gaming back then, but I certainly was.

Last edited:

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
Hearing about someone who's never played Half Life is always kind of like meeting someone whose never seen Star Wars; it's shocking. :p
Easily one of the most influential, and best, FPS of all-time, hands down.

It may have been something 12 years ago but I first played it probably 6-8 years ago. I didn't think it was that great even back then. Soon as you hit the Alien worlds, straight downhill in my opinion.

The Military stuff was cool but last time I played it (I went through it like 4-5 times) I don't think I finished it, I thought it was dated.

Btw, I thought they already did this hi rez thing? How many times can they reskin a game and pretend it's original?

Valve aint that great, remember HL2? Dumbest AI ever, it made the game so empty when you can run through it on the hardest setting.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
Yeah I just checked my Steam Folder.

I got Half Like Source... So is this going to be better? I hope so because I was disappointed with the game, it was a dated shooter.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Yeah I just checked my Steam Folder.

I got Half Like Source... So is this going to be better? I hope so because I was disappointed with the game, it was a dated shooter.

It is a dated shooter......If you judge it by what it did at the time it came out, then you will understand. Yes, other games have surpassed it in pretty much every way, but it set the mark at the time in so many aspects that it deserves the praise it received and still receives.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
Your also forgetting the countless mods that came about through Half Life which spawned whole new sub-genres of multiplayer shooters itself:

Counter Strike
Firearms Mod
Natural Selection

Took online FPS away from the arena style shooters and into the realm of more tactical based affairs.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Your also forgetting the countless mods that came about through Half Life which spawned whole new sub-genres of multiplayer shooters itself:

Counter Strike
Firearms Mod
Natural Selection

Took online FPS away from the arena style shooters and into the realm of more tactical based affairs.

Quake had modifications that started to move away from basic deathmatch.

There was Quake team fortress, capture the flag and there was some kind of gun games modification where people could only carry X amount of ammunition, took fall damage, and when the player was injured they limped.

Quake started the online FPS revolution, half-life refined it.

I just hope black mesa lives up to its 7 1/2 years of development time.

Half-life 2 was released November 2004. Black mesa started development around January 2005.

Last edited:

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I have enough love to go around.

I started FPS gaming when I was 12 in 1992, when I downloaded the demo for Wolfenstein 3D from a BBS. I loved it. Another FPS (kinda) I liked around that time was Stellar 7.

In the next couple of years I got my hands on Doom 1 and Doom 2. Those were defining moments for me. I was already pretty much leaving consoles in the rear view mirror, in 1993 on my birthday I had to choose between Genesis and SNES and I chose Genesis. A good system, but I didn't really like very many games on it. I think that choice helped me put my focus on PC gaming, right at the perfect time to do so.

In 1995 I was heavily immersed in Doom 2 still, playing it with my best friend all the time over the modem. I can't remember if we had 14.4 or 28.8 modems at that time. We'd co-op and death match all night. This was also the year I got MechWarrior 2, which I loved to death. Also what was really cool is that the game disc for MechWarrior 2 also had the soundtrack on it and you could play it in your CD player. Some of the tracks were really soothing, and my 15 year old self would fall asleep to them sometimes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C42xCauM9jU

1995 was also when I was loving Descent, which my brother couldn't play because it gave him bad vertigo.

1996 was a landmark year indeed, Quake 1. Holy crap. As much as I loved Doom, Quake 1 was a revelation. Online play on the internet servers night and day, I couldn't get enough. I hung out in #Quake on IRC's undernet all the time, and the day the game was released, my copy arrived from Texas quicker than anyone else who was in the channel, I had a bunch of Nine Inch Nails fans begging me for the soundtrack somehow. This was prior to mp3, I did try to DCC over IRC a couple of enormous .wavs of it, but I gave up after a bit because I wanted to go play!

Quake 1 was amazing. I joined the first clan for it in that same IRC channel, and this may have also been the first online FPS clan. There were only about 5 of us in it. It was called Unholy Alliance.

One of the moderators of #Quake undernet was Disruptor, who would later go on to be hired by id software. He is Christian Antkow and still works there I believe.

When the guy who programmed the famous grappling hook for Quake 1 finished it, or thought he finished it... he was programming on a computer which wasn't actually good enough to run Quake. We were talking in IRC at the time, and he asked me to test it so he could know how it was working before he got to his better PC. It was awesome. Because of this, I was the first person ever to use the famous Quake 1 grappling hook. I felt pretty cool. I used it even before it's programmer! For anyone whose memory of it is fuzzy, it was the one where you'd swing the axe, and then the spider woman monster's purple energy web ball would fly out and have a trail of crap behind it... and lock you onto whatever spot it hit, then drag you toward it. It was great.

1997 for me was most characterized by my love for Jedi Knight 1. It was the last game my older brother really got into much, he would go on to play CS1 a fair amount, and HL1 DM a fair amount, but JK1 was that last time when we were both equally into gaming. Here I am 32 years old and I still sort of am, he hasn't been in years. Guess he probably made the wiser choice, ha.

So 1998... wow, the apex of gaming.

Half-Life 1 was amazing. Unreal 1 was amazing. How did I find the time for all the stuff I played that year? I was playing Zelda: OOT on my N64, which was amazing. Unreal 1... Half-Life 1... tons of HL1 Deathmatch, TONS AND TONS of Ultima Online which was the best MMO experience ever in it's first couple of years... it had come out in 1997 I think.

So yea Half-Life 1 was fantastic. Running around on stockyards map in death match, popping people with the shotgun... pure bliss. That damned bee gun, snarks! fuckin' snarks!

I may have been more of a PC gamer for years at that point, but I wasn't too discriminatory. Sure, I was pissed when Halo 1 got diverted from PC/Mac and was going to be XBox exlusive, but I got a damned XBox and Halo 1 and you know what? It was fucking amazing too. I LOVE the Halo series, especially the first game. Absolutely fantastic.

So, like I said, I have enough love to spread around.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
I have enough love to go around.

I started FPS gaming when I was 12 in 1992, when I downloaded the demo for Wolfenstein 3D from a BBS. I loved it. Another FPS (kinda) I liked around that time was Stellar 7.

In the next couple of years I got my hands on Doom 1 and Doom 2. Those were defining moments for me. I was already pretty much leaving consoles in the rear view mirror, in 1993 on my birthday I had to choose between Genesis and SNES and I chose Genesis. A good system, but I didn't really like very many games on it. I think that choice helped me put my focus on PC gaming, right at the perfect time to do so.

In 1995 I was heavily immersed in Doom 2 still, playing it with my best friend all the time over the modem. I can't remember if we had 14.4 or 28.8 modems at that time. We'd co-op and death match all night. This was also the year I got MechWarrior 2, which I loved to death. Also what was really cool is that the game disc for MechWarrior 2 also had the soundtrack on it and you could play it in your CD player. Some of the tracks were really soothing, and my 15 year old self would fall asleep to them sometimes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C42xCauM9jU

1995 was also when I was loving Descent, which my brother couldn't play because it gave him bad vertigo.

1996 was a landmark year indeed, Quake 1. Holy crap. As much as I loved Doom, Quake 1 was a revelation. Online play on the internet servers night and day, I couldn't get enough. I hung out in #Quake on IRC's undernet all the time, and the day the game was released, my copy arrived from Texas quicker than anyone else who was in the channel, I had a bunch of Nine Inch Nails fans begging me for the soundtrack somehow. This was prior to mp3, I did try to DCC over IRC a couple of enormous .wavs of it, but I gave up after a bit because I wanted to go play!

Quake 1 was amazing. I joined the first clan for it in that same IRC channel, and this may have also been the first online FPS clan. There were only about 5 of us in it. It was called Unholy Alliance.

One of the moderators of #Quake undernet was Disruptor, who would later go on to be hired by id software. He is Christian Antkow and still works there I believe.

When the guy who programmed the famous grappling hook for Quake 1 finished it, or thought he finished it... he was programming on a computer which wasn't actually good enough to run Quake. We were talking in IRC at the time, and he asked me to test it so he could know how it was working before he got to his better PC. It was awesome. Because of this, I was the first person ever to use the famous Quake 1 grappling hook. I felt pretty cool. I used it even before it's programmer! For anyone whose memory of it is fuzzy, it was the one where you'd swing the axe, and then the spider woman monster's purple energy web ball would fly out and have a trail of crap behind it... and lock you onto whatever spot it hit, then drag you toward it. It was great.

1997 for me was most characterized by my love for Jedi Knight 1. It was the last game my older brother really got into much, he would go on to play CS1 a fair amount, and HL1 DM a fair amount, but JK1 was that last time when we were both equally into gaming. Here I am 32 years old and I still sort of am, he hasn't been in years. Guess he probably made the wiser choice, ha.

So 1998... wow, the apex of gaming.

Half-Life 1 was amazing. Unreal 1 was amazing. How did I find the time for all the stuff I played that year? I was playing Zelda: OOT on my N64, which was amazing. Unreal 1... Half-Life 1... tons of HL1 Deathmatch, TONS AND TONS of Ultima Online which was the best MMO experience ever in it's first couple of years... it had come out in 1997 I think.

So yea Half-Life 1 was fantastic. Running around on stockyards map in death match, popping people with the shotgun... pure bliss. That damned bee gun, snarks! fuckin' snarks!

I may have been more of a PC gamer for years at that point, but I wasn't too discriminatory. Sure, I was pissed when Halo 1 got diverted from PC/Mac and was going to be XBox exlusive, but I got a damned XBox and Halo 1 and you know what? It was fucking amazing too. I LOVE the Halo series, especially the first game. Absolutely fantastic.

So, like I said, I have enough love to spread around.

Awesome :)

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Snark_v_hd.jpg

jpk

Mar 30, 2001
Cool, I've held off playing the original because the graphics and sound track are so dated. Black Mesa took so long to be finished I was losing hope of ever playing the game.

Even with the dated graphics, the story will pull you in. F'ing great game. Looking forward to the DL of the mod.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Even with the dated graphics, the story will pull you in. F'ing great game. Looking forward to the DL of the mod.

A great story just isn't enough to suck me in and I've never been a fan of RPGs. I don't need great graphics, but if a game depends on the story more it has to have at least decent graphics or I might as well watch a movie or read a book.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
First day download for me too. I want to experience the moment where the first mudcrab jumps on to ur head in HD. Will be epic.