Bitcoin mining is ruining 280x prices for us

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
10% seems like a good number for someone doing it wrong.

Should be 5 or less, 3 or less really.

By the way it looks your card seems seriously starved. Your previous post had the same reject rate at 370W while the 500W one is on 0% so your numbers just got worse.

Looks like your card needs way more juice to keep that hashrate.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
You've only said this about 500 times already in this and the other threads.

Now that you've had your say (over and over and over and over and over again), please sit down and shut up. We don't need to see the same post every page.

I'm sorry the truth hurts you so much that you need to a) grossly exaggerate and b) violate the Terms of Service of these forums. If you don't like my posts just skip over them or put me on Ignore.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
What's funny is the OP doesn't even want to mine. So with that being the case, i'd imagine he will or has bought an nvidia card. So hopefully his question was answered somewhere along the way.

In any case, it's good to see that nvidia is viable for mining now, with AMD being much better for that purpose. Whereas nvidia wasn't even viable for mining in the past. Personally I don't buy GPUs for mining. Have better things to do like.......................

actually enjoy using and gaming on my PC.

nwo

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2005
You've only said this about 500 times already in this and the other threads.

Now that you've had your say (over and over and over and over and over again), please sit down and shut up. We don't need to see the same post every page.

There is really no need for that. He is simply trying to state and debate his opinion which actually happens to be a fact in the case of purchasing coins for profitability. Not every member keeps up with all the other threads on a regular basis.

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
We don't need to see the same post every page.

Yes we do to remember us the difficulty will go up and the prices down no matter what and we would be better with that money lost than gaming on a high end card with it partially paid by itself.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
By the way it looks your card seems seriously starved. Your previous post had the same reject rate at 370W while the 500W one is on 0% so your numbers just got worse.

Looks like your card needs way more juice to keep that hashrate.

You're right, I wasn't even looking at the fail rate.

640kh @ 450w 34/35

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
There is really no need for that. He is simply trying to state and debate his opinion which actually happens to be a fact in the case of purchasing coins for profitability. Not every member keeps up with all the other threads on a regular basis.

Not a single person who has disagreed with me has been able to refute my calculations--probably because my math is true. I occasionally point out that buying and holding is more profitable than mining if you believe prices will keep rising like they have been, or even if they merely double. And if prices go to zero and you've been mining a long time, you get to eat all the power bills and hardware depreciation, which can actually be worse than if you bought a coin directly and it went to zero. These truths are not controversial at neutral forums like bitcointalk.org. Apparently it's only at tech forums where people have emotional and/or financial connections to companies that I get told to "sit down and shut up," figuratively or literally.

P.S. (to the other guy) If you think I repeat myself it's because certain other people repeat THEMSELVES all the time; I am just offering a reality check/counterpoint. Why tell me to 'sit down and shut up' and not THOSE people?

Last edited:

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
Yeah. Who in the world would even think about playing with his card or want to just own it at a technical/enthusiast forum.

It's like having a thing for cycling or running and someone telling you how dumb you are for not riding your car or taking a cab.

Technical forums... bleh.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
For the record I totally disagree with anyone who says cars are simply objects to get one from point A to point B. That's just third world talk.

Ok, to stop derailing this thread : BitCoin mining did not ruin 280X prices. At least not directly. LiteCoin, and every other Scrypt coin did. /thread

broken_pixel

Oct 26, 2013
10,000 mined DGC for sale, Escrow will be used. Go!

Warning issued for thread crapping.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 19, 2009
If you're set on mining you shouldn't be looking at the 780.

If you're set on gaming with a free video card as RS put forth, Nvidia is an option assuming your kwh rates are within reason.

Yup its quite an amazing achievement from Cuda miner, even NV owners should jump on board and mine to pay off their GPUs. Even for non tweakers, 550 kHa/s at 400W is still very profitable in a lot of places where electricity is cheap.

Can you monitor VRM temps while CUDA mining? It would be interesting to see how well NV cards cope with the extra load.

@BC, we all know buying coins can potentially be more profitable, but this is a tech forum for users of graphics card who are interested to mine and play around with their hardware.

Last edited:

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Not a single person who has disagreed with me has been able to refute my calculations--probably because my math is true.

You're definitely right in that most of the time it is better to buy coins, and I have done both actually. But mining is way more interesting IMO, especially if you like tech stuff like a lot of people mining do. So, please keep in mind that not everyone is doing it to maximize profit. I could have certainly invested the money I spent on cards on buying coins instead, but for whatever reason, I prefer to do it this way and have the freedom to do so.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
You're definitely right in that most of the time it is better to buy coins, and I have done both actually. But mining is way more interesting IMO, especially if you like tech stuff like a lot of people mining do. So, please keep in mind that not everyone is doing it to maximize profit. I could have certainly invested the money I spent on cards on buying coins instead, but for whatever reason, I prefer to do it this way and have the freedom to do so.

Please note that the rude guy up there took one sentence out of my entire post.

Much of the rest of my post was specifically on mining. If you pay $0.10/kWh and pay only $255 for a Radeon 7950, you will never make that money back mining litecoin if litecoin difficulty increases by a mere ~4.25% per adjustment, assuming prices don't rise and a modest 2% pool fee. Given how hard it is to get a 7950 for $255 these days, exchange fees, stale shares, orphan blocks, and how average USA electric prices are more like $0.13/kWh, the actual numbers are even worse than that though to be fair you can get some salvage value out of a 7950, but note that a brand new 7950 was worth $150 a few months ago, so how much can you realistically expect a used 7950 to fetch several months from now when Maxwell AND AMD's refresh are both out?

Now, if you get lucky and manage to mine more profitably than straight litecoin mining, like guessing which altcoins will take off, that will help. And if prices go up per coin, that helps too... but that's just the thing, if they keep going up like they have been, you are better off just direct-buying and holding. And let's be real, profits do matter, it's not just a technical thing or else you would be helping the world by buying NV cards and Folding@Home.

In both cases, you are assuming risky things (that you will get lucky mining altcoins which have historically been less profitable to mine that litecoins, and that prices will rise. Whereas the assumption of difficulty increasing is fairly safe, given that AMD keeps cranking out video cards and even some NV guys are mining. Two companies have also announced scrypt ASICs coming out mid-2014 and let's hope they are bluffing, but if not that can add serious hash to the network as well.

http://bitcoinwisdom.com/litecoin/calculator

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Let me add on to this. I really feel like AMD should make a dedicated mining SKU. They could charge whatever they want and maintain their margins. Let's say, they made a dedicated mining SKU for around 300-350$ JUST for miners. It wouldn't have true audio. It wouldn't have Mantle. Or dual BIOS. Or any extra VRAM. Basically, it would be bare bones but would feature full hashrate via a Tahiti XL GPU chip. AMD could make insanely high margins off of such a SKU because they could skimp on the gaming features, but it could have a 100% hashrate of the Tahiti XL.

I feel like this would be the win-win situation. A dedicated SKU for miners, while PC gamers could actually buy R9 290 GPUs without dealing with bullcrap prices. Make no mistake, a lot of gamers aren't willing to pay above MSRP in the states for AMD. Just because that becomes difficult when aftermarket 290 cards cost MORE than the GTX 780. And nvidia has more software features that makes nvidia an attractive option even IF AMD is the same price/perf as nvidia. The Tri-X 290 is 550$ at most etailers in the states now, if not more. Several aftermarket 290s are 579$+. That is ridiculous.

If there were a dedicated mining SKU, AMD could still make a ton of money from miners. Simultaneously, PC gamers would be able to get their hands on the 290 and 290X GPUs with no problems, and AMD wouldn't be missing out on the true demographic for their 290 cards. PC gamers. Right now a large portion of the sales aren't going to PC gamers, but to people who only care about hashrate. There are exceptions, but many miners do not game.

So I feel this would be a great solution for AMD.

edit: also keep in mind the new CUDA miner vastly improves nvidia's hashrate. AMD is still the king by far, but nvidia is at least somewhat competitive at this point. With a dedicated mining SKU? This is a non issue. AMD gets sales from *both* miners and PC gamers. The situation now is, a lot of games wanted to go with a 290 but went with nvidia instead - a dedicated mining SKU would have them staying with AMD for their PC gaming GPU.

Where are they supposed to find the additional GPU's for this mining card? Think about it for a minute and you'll see how this idea simply can't work.

Feb 19, 2009
Lets not discount the number of gamers who would NEVER consider going high-end with expensive GPUs before, but now went and bought R290/X simply because they could cover its costs over time.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Can you monitor VRM temps while CUDA mining? It would be interesting to see how well NV cards cope with the extra load.

Shouldn't be too bad, its a 8+2 card with 8+8.

Pulled the fan off the GPU and put it on the mobo. Was able to pull 635 kh/s @ 420w 61C load temps ~112\116 powertune with the stock bios. I can do 690 @ 500, but that's scary for mining.

Titan on water still killing me for kh/w though, would like to see what a Ti could do, probably 800~ @ 450w?

Last edited:

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Nope, but with a fan on the back and the mobo supplying 100% it couldn't be that bad. Still within the 116% power limit. Probably 40w sys 30w fan rest GPU.

I've pushed 580w total sys through it, if it was going to pop it would have done so already™

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
This is actually not true. Nvidia GPUs are still far outselling their AMD counterparts, it could be due to supply constraints or whatever but at the biggest US etailer, nvidia has dominant sales figures over AMD as seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...22/ref=sr_bs_1

This list is dynamically updated on the hour for top 100 rankings. As you can see nvidia is actually mopping up the sales, at least in the states, with both the GTX 780 and GTX 780ti taking up several top 40 spots.

I don't think you read my post carefully at all. I made no reference whatsoever about the sales figures of AMD's GPUs in reference to NV GPUs. My post is not even concerned at all about NV vs. AMD GPU sales. I really could care less if AMD had 5% market share and NV had 95%. The fact of the matter is, NV has the following:

1) Constant history of rip-off pricing dating way back to 6800 UE. That rip-off pricing is kept in check by only 1 firm in the world - ATI/AMD. Notice a trend how 1 firm almost constantly tries to raise prices and keep them high as long as possible, while the other tries to release GPUs with unlocked voltage/shaders, dual BIOSes and sets new price/performance levels keeping the market in check?

2) Asking $200-300 more for a mere 15-18% performance increase on the high-end (say 580 vs. 6950 unlocked) but by the time new games come out, all of that gen's single GPU cards are too slow, which means it's always better to buy a card slightly slower and hundreds of dollars cheaper but upgrade more frequently from a bang for the buck point of view (NV fails hard at this because they have a tendency to memory bandwidth/VRAM neuter their 2nd and 3rd tier cards unlike AMD -- see 7950 OC vs. 7970 or R9 290 OC vs. 290X OC). With cards like GTX480 selling for $100 and HD7870 for $150 trading blows with a previous $499 GTX580, buying the fastest NV cards in the last 4 years was akin to flushing money into the toilet.

3) Completely non-competitive in the bitcoin mining scene which lasted 4 years! In that time, AMD's GPUs made so much money from mining, they paid for years/decades of free GPU upgrades. NV users lost out on all of this. Now, when Maxwell comes out at $649, guess what, you are paying that. I pay $0 to buy that since it just goes from my scrypt mining account. So your entire point about NV vs. AMD global GPU sales is irrelevant. If 99.9% of people bought NV in the last 4 years, I was part of the 0.1% that didn't and my reward is a lifetime of free NV GPU upgrades if I so desire. How is that for an argument for pro-AMD GPUs in the last 4-5 years?

I think this is because miners are taking away all of the supply from the actual intended demographic - PC gamers. And PC gamers aren't going to buy AMD at inflated prices.

This is 100% hypothesis on your part. Let's say there are a total of 100 GPUs that are meant to be sold. Your theory is that majority of those (say 80%) of those are sold to miners and PC gamers get say 20%. What if AMD initially projected to sell 100 GPUs, but due to mining, they can now sell 400 GPUs of which 80% go to miners and 20% go to PC gamers? You do not have any evidence at all to conclude that AMD is not selling a record number of GPUs in its Q4 history. You keep assuming that AMD's total supply of X GPUs made is constant over the years in a particularly quarter. However, what if the supply of GPUs AMD this past quarter has increased 50%, 100%, 150% from the past since demand is much greater? Then your entire theory is undermined.

Did you blame NV for selling Titan at $1000 for its DP performance? I don't remember you making the argument that NV's Titan pricing is hurting PC gamers since NV is capitalizing on DP performance. Yet, now when the demand for AMD's GPUs is much higher due to scrypt mining, it's somehow hurting AMD?

ice as nvidia can, because AMD has had and still has significant software issues and problems that nvidia has not had in years.

Makes no difference to the argument at hand. As a PC gamer, I am not arguing software, drivers, etc. It costs me $0 to acquire GTX780 level of performance or $500 dollars. That's a no contest.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to get an aftermarket 290 at around 420-430$. At 499$ though? It becomes a more difficult proposition.

That's exactly my point. You keep viewing PC gaming and mining as 2 separate events. You created this artificial constraint in your mind. As a result, you continued to spend hundreds of dollars on GPU upgrades in the last 4+ years while on the AMD route, that upgrade cost has been $0. Therefore, if R9 290 is $399, $499 or $599, it makes no difference for those of us who mined. It costs us $0 anyway.

And for future customers, even if it costs $399 or $499, it makes no material difference if they set up scrypt mining. You don't want to mine, that's your entire point. Whose loss is that? Only yours to bear. In any event, your card cost you $650+ and even now an R9 290 at $499 is a better deal than 780 was. Therefore, you still do not have a point since in the GPU market, prices adjust over time.

I wanted to get a Tri-X 290 card for a secondary rig and I still may do that if the price is right. But not at 499$. I can get a GTX 780 with significantly better and more polished software for that price.

Even if you bought an R9 290/780 at $499 instead of $399, 12 months later there will be a GPU at $399 that will smash those. With scrypt mining, it doesn't matter since your cost to acquire the new card is practically $0 as it pays for itself. That's what you keep missing. You just don't want a free GPU. A 780 at $499 is still a terrible deal since the alternative is $0. It doesn't matter how good NV's software is. Don't you see the point that scrypt mining removes the cost of upgrading to next generation GPUs? You somehow keep arguing NV vs. AMD's value proposition but ignore this simple point as you have for the last 4 years. Once scrypt mining is finished, I get 2-3 decades of free NV GPUs if I wanted to spend my money this way; but every day you keep complaining, you earn $0 towards a Maxwell, Volta, etc. GPU upgrade.

I feel that AMD needs cheaper prices to be viable. Until their software becomes significantly better with more useful features AMD cannot charge those types of prices to actual games. They can only charge those prices to hashrate miner freaks. Nvidia adds features with every other WHQL or every 3rd WHQL. Like I said, AMD never adds features. Not since 2010 at least.

The funny part is the pricing of R9 290 has nothing to do with AMD. AMD never told Newegg, Amazon and so on to raise prices. MSRP is still unchanged. You aren't blaming the retailers though. ^_^

All other points you make again go back to you being close-minded. NV's software in no way justifies paying $500-1000 on their GPUs when the alternative is free. My cost to upgrade my GPUs since 2009 has been $0, and will be so for 30 more years from my 7970s alone, yours? You could argue until you are blue in the face about WHQL drivers, 3D vision, PhysX and all kinds of other features but you'll never win this argument. Buying AMD for the last 4 years was like writing a cheque for thousands of dollars falling from the sky for decades of free GPU upgrades. If you chose to ignore this perk, it's entirely on you. When scrypt mining dies, I'll get all of those "awesome" NV features for no cost at all --- thanks to AMD's GPUs you never utilized to their ability.

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
You assume that everyone wants to earn pennies with their GPUs. Please. I personally don't care. A lot of people want to just enjoy their computers instead of obsess over which alt coin to switch to on a daily basis, mining in itself becomes a job when you're constantly having to see which alt coin is tanking and which to switch to. And you have to put a lot of effort into mining to make any appreciable amount of money with it. In fact, "appreciable" amount of money from mining would require 3-4+ rigs mining 24/7. Which leads to effort. Time. When you don't need the money, and just want to enjoy a GPU for a single PC for gaming purposes rather than go full stupid with 4 mining rigs, a lot of folks have better things to do.

You aren't going to make a lot of money with a single GPU from mining. Aside from this, apparently, the GTX 780 pays for itself over time too with the new CUDA miner that was released mid December. Nvidia isn't worthless for mining anymore. For someone who just wants to mine without going full stupid 24/7 mining, nvidia does it pretty well now.

Makes no difference to the argument at hand. As a PC gamer, I am not arguing software, drivers, etc. It costs me $0 to acquire GTX780 level of performance or $500 dollars. That's a no contest.
As a PC gamer, software, features and drivers make no difference to you? That's an interesting opinion. You sound more like a 24/7 miner rather than a gamer - that's the typical attitude of a miner. For a gamer, GPU software quality, feature set, etc always goes hand in hand with the gaming experience, period. On that note, the last feature AMD added was MLAA years ago. And Mantle, which has zero games thus far. In the past two years, nvidia added: adaptive vsync, driver downsampling, monitor overclocking to 120hz, TXAA, shadow play, driver FXAA, and geforce experience (which isn't riddled with ADVERTISEMENTS like Raptr is). And there is physx, which I personally do not care about that much, but it is very nice in all of the newer Batman games and BL2. It isn't a huge selling point to me however. Now you would of course say "I don't need those features". But the point is. NVidia is hands down better at updating their feature set every couple of months. AMD is stuck in statis as far as driver features goes, and they still haven't fixed crossfire for 79xx and earlier cards - DX9 still has frame pacing issues as does eyefinity with crossfire. Like I said. Software goes hand in hand with the gaming experience. If you're a miner and a miner only, you probably don't care. But most gamers do care. You should care.

Infraction issued for thread crapping.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
You assume that everyone wants to earn pennies with their GPUs. Please. I personally don't care. A lot of people want to just enjoy their computers instead of obsess over which alt coin to switch to on a daily basis, mining in itself becomes a job when you're constantly having to see which alt coin is tanking and which to switch to. And you have to put a lot of effort into mining to make any appreciable amount of money with it.

Aside from this, apparently, the GTX 780 pays for itself too with the new CUDA miner. So there goes that argument. Nvidia isn't worthless for mining anymore. For someone who just wants to mine without going 24/7, nvidia does it pretty well now.

As a PC gamer, software, features and drivers make no difference to you? That's an interesting opinion. You sound more like a 24/7 miner rather than a gamer - that's the typical attitude of a miner. For a gamer, GPU software quality, feature set, etc always goes hand in hand with the gaming experience, period.

Has it occurred to you that some of us enjoy crypto currency mining as *gasp* a hobby? I personally find it fun to be hashing and chasing the Next Big Coin™. I am enjoying mining.

That wasn't always the case though, as back in 2011 I scoffed at GPU bitcoin mining (to my great regret) and my video card upgrade path until 2013 looked like GTX 260 --> GTX 670. Fortunately, I'm a rational person so I eventually came around to the idea that there was profit to be made in crypto-currency mining and trading.

P.S. The two Sapphire Tri-X 290s I bought on 12/27/2013 have been fully paid off via my mining account as of noon Eastern, 1/3/2014. Results not typical, yes I have a GPU farm, YMWV, past performance not indicative of future returns, etc. But considering mining will likely get me a sweet Haswell-E + Maxwell SLI setup in the future I'm not likely to stop until it's no longer profitable :)

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
You assume that everyone wants to earn pennies with their GPUs.

I am assuming people who have done their research can figure out a way to make more than pennies from GPU scrypt mining.

http://imageshack.com/a/img541/8451/g9zi.jpg

You can't make dollars if you don't make pennies. You have to start from GPU #1.

You keep thinking AMD vs. NV - features, drivers, etc. I keep thinking about how can I spend the least amount of $ to buy the most amount of PC hardware and keep this going for as long as possible so that I can spend my personal funds on other fun things in life like downhill skiing, vacations, restaurants, beer, women, etc.

Please. I personally don't care. [/B]

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/dealbook/2013/12/21/into-the-bitcoin-mines/?ref=technology&_r=0

And that's the point. You continue to resist as you have been for the last 4 years. Because you are so close-minded to the idea of using GPUs to pay for themselves over time (because you say you don't care to make "pennies"), you can't comprehend the idea of buying AMD GPUs at prices similar or higher than NV. That's why in your world, you come up with some reasons like drivers and features that justify why buying NV continues to make sense for you. Similarly, for myself, it makes no sense to buy NV since I continue to spend $0 on gaming GPU upgrades and I get 90% of your performance that costs you every single year. It's now been what 4 years? How much money did I save? It sure is more than pennies but you keep using your hard-earned money to buy NV. Your choice.

The interesting part is you say you'd buy a TOXIC for $420 but not at $500. $70-80 makes such a huge difference in your purchasing decision but with scrypt mining that GPU is free in a short period of time. Your argument is inconsistent in its logic since scrypt mining earns more than the threshold value increase for price/performance in your R9 290 purchasing decision.

If you're a miner and a miner only, you probably don't care. But most gamers do care. You should care.

I can't justify buying a 780 for $500 based on its "superior" software and features when the AMD card costs me $0. Therefore, I can't come up with viable reasons why I should care. That's like walking into BestBuy and choosing between a $0 PS4 and a $500 Xbox 1.

Why does one have to be a miner vs. gamer and not both? I really don't understand this distinction you keep making. When I am not home/sleeping, my PC is not being used for anything. In the past I utilized my GPUs for distributed computing projects. One day I thought, hmm....I might as well have my PC make me $. If Maxwell arch is a champ at scrypt mining, I'll be switching to those too. It's not about AMD vs. NV for me.

If scrypt mining continues to be viable, I can go out and buy 4x $700 GPUs and not care. If I have to go out and spend $2,800 on gaming GPUs, I probably wouldn't. With scrypt mining, retailers/AMD's AIBs get to charge much higher prices that I am wiling to pay anyway, and I get high-end hardware without financial burden since it pays for itself. It's a win-win situation since the GPU maker has an incentive to keep making GPUs and I have an incentive to keep buying more high-end gaming GPUs.

P.S. The two Sapphire Tri-X 290s I bought on 12/27/2013 have been fully paid off via my mining account as of noon Eastern, 1/3/2014. Results not typical, yes I have a GPU farm, YMWV, past performance not indicative of future returns, etc. But considering mining will likely get me a sweet Haswell-E + Maxwell SLI setup in the future I'm not likely to stop until it's no longer profitable :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Once the AMD GPU pays for itself, it starts earning $ that can be used to buy...NV GPUs, Intel CPUs. No one forces anyone to keep buying AMD GPUs for life.

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
The nvidia GPU also pays for itself with the new CUDAminer. Assuming the buyer cares. Which most single GPU PC gamer purchasers do not.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Realistically, NV GPUs aren't going to pay for themselves. Even AMD GPUs which are more efficient, will have a hard time paying for themselves. Difficulty will keep going up and even a $255 7950 at 10 cents/kWh will be unprofitable if difficulty readjustments average ~4.2% which is easily possible (AMD keeps making more powerful GPUs and people keep replacing old GPUs). And that 4.2% figure is very optimistic because it assumes you already have a big enough 80+ PSU and that the rest of the system (CPU, RAM, mobo, drives, fans, etc.) eats zero watts, that you mine 24/7 without ever gaming, and that you can even find a $255 7950 these days. http://bitcoinwisdom.com/litecoin/calculator

About the only way an NV GPU would somehow pay for itself is if cryptocurrency prices go way up, and if so, you might as well just buy the coin directly, which has been far more profitable than mining for four years in a row and counting.