Biden considering emergency measures to boost refinery output

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Who knows however the point is why are there record profits when plenty are in pain.
Whole bunch of people would like to see an executive who made a 100 million bonus get grilled about why prices are high.
Stop thinking like this game is supposed to be fair because it isn’t.

We have an oligopoly situation here-there are so few companies that refine that free market capitalistic rules don't apply. In the present situation ALL the producers have each reached the same decision (purportedly independently and without collusion) that it is more profitable to keep production at the current levels rather than ramp up production. My guess is they are gunning for a GOP admin in the near future and then they can argue that pesky environmental regulations must go-which will drive up their profits even more.

Feb 4, 2009
We have an oligopoly situation here-there are so few companies that refine that free market capitalistic rules don't apply. In the present situation ALL the producers have each reached the same decision (purportedly independently and without collusion) that it is more profitable to keep production at the current levels rather than ramp up production. My guess is they are gunning for a GOP admin in the near future and then they can argue that pesky environmental regulations must go-which will drive up their profits even more.

I agree and it is exactly why all these fuckers should be hauled in to explain their actions.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
AGAIN.... It's all about GREED. American greed against Americans. Who needs the Saudis when we have Chevron, and Exxon?
If Biden lowers gas by 18 cents with imposing a gas tax holiday, the American oil companies will see this as their opportunity to raise gas by 18 cents a gallon. And if the states join in with cutting gas prices further, then the oil companies will raise gas even more.
After all... why not???
Americans are rich. Americans have plenty of money. Americans even look rich. So yeah, raise those prices Chevron. Raise those food prices Walmart. Raise those prices American retailer because you know how rich Americans are, and look. They look pretty damn rich in the eyes of greed.
Why has fuel pricing increased so much since 1/20/2021? Was Chevron and Exxon losing money under Trump?

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Why has fuel pricing increased so much since 1/20/2021? Was Chevron and Exxon losing money under Trump?
Nobody has the time or patience to explain supply/demand, corporate greed, and basic economics to you. However, so you don't leave empty handed: Simple answer is Demand has driven up the cost, combined with greed. We had low demand during 2020, and the demand rapidly increased in 2021. The problem is the oil companies have refused to increase production from their pandemic levels, as well have refused to increase drilling even though they have the permits to do so, to keep prices high.. that is the most I am going to explain to you.. So run along, and spend some time educating yourself, or better yet, enroll yourself into some economic classes so you can stop looking like a fucking tool with your head up your ass.

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Also several refinaries were closed because the pandemic has caused them to lost money. A few won't even come back online. Some have switched to process other fuels than oil.

These are all reported and outlined by US EIA (US Energey Information administartion) if you want to find out more.

With these affecting the industry, even with drilling and pumping at 100% capcaity but no refinaries to process them, supply will stay low and price will stay high.

Now building a refinary takes years. Reopening one takes 10 to 12 months. Converting one back to process oil will takes time and is expensive.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The refiners are closed because the refiners decided it wasn't worthwhile to upgrade them to meet current environmental regulations. Are those environmental regulations going to be suspended?

No, instead the Federal Government should take them as critical strategic infrastructure and declare that since we can't trust the companies that built them to run them in the best interest of the nation we will be putting them under federal control to ensure sustainable levels of output. We have done such things before.

Reactions: hal2kilo

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Nobody has the time or patience to explain supply/demand, corporate greed, and basic economics to you. However, so you don't leave empty handed: Simple answer is Demand has driven up the cost, combined with greed. We had low demand during 2020, and the demand rapidly increased in 2021. The problem is the oil companies have refused to increase production from their pandemic levels, as well have refused to increase drilling even though they have the permits to do so, to keep prices high.. that is the most I am going to explain to you.. So run along, and spend some time educating yourself, or better yet, enroll yourself into some economic classes so you can stop looking like a fucking tool with your head up your ass.
On Day one, clueless Joe starting shutting down the viability of increasing "Non Green" energy production. The guy ran on expanding green energy so what do you think would happen when the government starts to artificially control the supply?

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
On Day one, clueless Joe starting shutting down the viability of increasing "Non Green" energy production. The guy ran on expanding green energy so what do you think would happen when the government starts to artificially control the supply?
Like I said, nobody has the time or patience to educate you. If course you also if ignored what I did say a out demand and what the big oil companies have not done as far as production and drilling.. you just keep parretting the same bullshit logic.

It takes a couple years for the results of a president's actions to materialize, as the changes are not instantaneous. Every time you post, you show people you have zero understanding of how things work. And you call the President clueless??

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007

Last I recall, Biden wasn't the president when the pandemic hit...

Refinaries owners have to make a profit to stay online too. So when there was no profit to be made during the pandemic (thats when Trump was still in the WH), either they closed shop or switched to process resource that help them stay open.

So what you are saying is clueless joe was actually Trump in disguise!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Literally none of this occurred in real life but that won't stop this participation trophy baby from claiming it did.

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
No, instead the Federal Government should take them as critical strategic infrastructure and declare that since we can't trust the companies that built them to run them in the best interest of the nation we will be putting them under federal control to ensure sustainable levels of output. We have done such things before.
These refineries were most likely mothballed because they couldn't meet all the regulatory and safety requirements needed in order to stay open. Not to mention the environmental remediation work that they would need. Trust me, you don't want them.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
These refineries were most likely mothballed because they couldn't meet all the regulatory and safety requirements needed in order to stay open. Not to mention the environmental remediation work that they would need. Trust me, you don't want them.
It is much cheaper to refit a refinery to meet regulatory standards than to build a new refinery. If we need the supply, we need the refinery. The government can afford to have a long ROI, it is not having to answer to shareholders that want a profit.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
lol im running 70mpg and here gas is already at least 2x of US prices… its not that bad, why the hell would you buy a gas guzzler…

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
lol im running 70mpg and here gas is already at least 2x of US prices… its not that bad, why the hell would you buy a gas guzzler…
Maybe because most people don't have the extreme luxury of buying a new extreme efficiency car and gets by on the 10+ year old clunker that they can afford?

Reactions: cytg111
Feb 4, 2009
Hey how about for unused/inactive sites the gov says I’m going to auction it off To someone who will use it within x reasonable days.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Maybe because most people don't have the extreme luxury of buying a new extreme efficiency car and gets by on the 10+ year old clunker that they can afford?
My clunker has 9 years on it. Its not yesterdays tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Nope, diesel sipper, there is a lot of cars in the ~1.5L category that does this, not expensive either. Well, if you want to pay you can pay but....
It'd probably have a hard time meeting our emission rules. Big reason there are few diesel cars in the US. Basically none since VW was proven to be cheating the tests.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
It'd probably have a hard time meeting our emission rules. Big reason there are few diesel cars in the US. Basically none since VW was proven to be cheating the tests.
I think its 100g/km … not that bad

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
What's weird is that FCA still makes a RAM 1500 truck with the eco diesel in it, but stop putting it in the Grand Cherokee and seem to have no plans for either of the new Wagoneers or Cherokees to have them anymore. Local dealer keeps telling me my Grand Cherokee eco diesel is worth a lot (dealers do tell tales).

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Is 0.180g/km bad?

Good question I am not sure what is the cut off.. I just read the overview of the documents... eg they tuned the car and when the computer sensed it was in testing they tuned the car for minimum NOX but when not testing it would go back to "normal" and it would have alot more NOX but better performance.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Hey how about for unused/inactive sites the gov says I’m going to auction it off To someone who will use it within x reasonable days.

Put out a RFP for Diesel/AVGas/Gasoline purchase by the US government. The RFP would require the fuel to come from a currently inactive refinery site.