BG2 AT style, anyone? *we need to get a night!*

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Next game - *we need to get a night!* - post in the thread what your playtime is

anyone interested in starting a multiplayer group for bg2?

i think it'd be interesting. the bg2 character thread got me thinking.. and thinking... and thinking...

GAME SETTINGS:

currently running: BG2 TOB patch 26498 grab it here

cache size: 600mb

frame rate: 30 fps

get ventrilo: www.ventrilo.com

join the AT vent server:
*NOTE* the address is arsenic.typefrag.com (not vital.typefrag)
http://www.atotchat.com/Welcome.html

the character list so far

we're all about level 9 right now, so if you want to join, make a BG2 game then modify your character to level 9 experience with shadowkeeper grab it here

userman - barbarian

fenixgoon - monk

shadowknight - fighter

aflac - assassin

acynic2 - ranger/fighter

lupi - mage

spartaniner - sorcerer

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Are you talking about discarding the NPCs, making MP groups of any design for bragging rights or S&Gs?

Say, an all paladin group, or all mage.

Perhaps a predominantly thief group.

I might be willing to do all halfings.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Oh hell yes. I'd be totally up or down for that.

...even though I still haven't finished my SP game. Oh well.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
making an MP group and play who you want - personally, i love the monk. i can also go mage if we need a spellcaster :p

or if we get 6 people who do want to do some sort of specified grouping, i'd be down for that too.

aflac, you go to upenn? i go to drexel :D

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
How exactly does BG2 MP work, anyway? Do all the players have to be there, or can someone take over another player's character if they're not there? How will files be synchronized (i.e. I have a tweak installed, but you don't)? Cheats? etc etc etc.

I'd probably play as a melee-tank, because I'm generally a bad spellcaster (or maybe that's because I can't multitask). I'm intrigued by mage/cleric though (doom + chromatic orb in sequencers, whoo).

And hi Fenix :) I live in Hill, which is the closest dorm to your campus (or so I've been led to believe).

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
making an MP group and play who you want - personally, i love the monk. i can also go mage if we need a spellcaster :p

I tended to go with a contradiction for fun...a swashbuckling monk. I play it in NWN also.

Ah ha ha ha HAAAA...That's it for you...TAKE THAT!

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Aflac
How exactly does BG2 MP work, anyway? Do all the players have to be there, or can someone take over another player's character if they're not there? How will files be synchronized (i.e. I have a tweak installed, but you don't)? Cheats? etc etc etc.

I'd probably play as a melee-tank, because I'm generally a bad spellcaster (or maybe that's because I can't multitask). I'm intrigued by mage/cleric though (doom + chromatic orb in sequencers, whoo).

And hi Fenix :) I live in Hill, which is the closest dorm to your campus (or so I've been led to believe).

bg2 MP works exactly like SP. any player can control the entire party (so we'd have 6 - 1 for each PC). i have no idea how files are synchronized.

and no cheating :|

i'm actually pretty close to penn due to "off campus" housing :D

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Now that I'm thinking more about what I would really love to play as, here's what I've come up with:

Assassin > Cleric/Mage > Ranger/Cleric > Kensai/Mage (probably unnecessary) > Sorcerer > Monk

A melee tank may be a little too boring and easy; control over just one character means a little more liberty as far as strats go. So far I'm probably the least experienced player of the group, so I'll give you guys higher priority when choosing a class...

And Fenix, about MP player control - there'll probably be six of us at game start, but I doubt that all the players can come together at the same time for every gaming "session". Do all 6 original people (the ones who created the game) have to be present if anyone wants to play, or can you delegate control of someone's character (when they're absent) to another player?

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
bg2 MP works exactly like SP. any player can control the entire party (so we'd have 6 - 1 for each PC). i have no idea how files are synchronized.

I'm cornfused...

I've never actually played AT style, but I know BG2 is not an online game, so does that mean we communicate moves back and forth?

And FWIW, it's possible to save the game, archive it, mail it and perhaps run it on someone elses game.

I've archived games because I had a beautiful ranger I didn't want to lose, ever. He was historical, beyond epic ability stats to start. Hell, his scores cannot be duplicated in NWN even going to 40th level.

If I were to do this...

I've started playing more a mage/thief in NWN/2. I'm kind of liking it, even though I don't hit as often, they get the sneak attack. But, we would need a cleric...

Let me think.

I know there is a HUGE exploit in the game. You start a ranger, take him/her to whatever level you please, cut over to cleric, when you finally get your ranger levels back, you're a ranger/cleric/druid.

I don't know if this works for a multi-classer, but for a human dual-classing, you get the full spell list of a cleric and druid, plus the turning ability of a cleric. I think weapons adhere to the cleric ethos, so you're limited to blunts. I want to dual wield Crom Faeyr and the Flail of Ages!!!

I'll do that...ranger, dualed to cleric.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I haven't even gotten around to insÞalling II yet but I'd be interested depending on when the playing is done.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: aCynic2

I'm cornfused...

I've never actually played AT style, but I know BG2 is not an online game, so does that mean we communicate moves back and forth?

And FWIW, it's possible to save the game, archive it, mail it and perhaps run it on someone elses game.

I've archived games because I had a beautiful ranger I didn't want to lose, ever. He was historical, beyond epic ability stats to start. Hell, his scores cannot be duplicated in NWN even going to 40th level.

If I were to do this...

I've started playing more a mage/thief in NWN/2. I'm kind of liking it, even though I don't hit as often, they get the sneak attack. But, we would need a cleric...

Let me think.

I know there is a HUGE exploit in the game. You start a ranger, take him/her to whatever level you please, cut over to cleric, when you finally get your ranger levels back, you're a ranger/cleric/druid.

I don't know if this works for a multi-classer, but for a human dual-classing, you get the full spell list of a cleric and druid, plus the turning ability of a cleric. I think weapons adhere to the cleric ethos, so you're limited to blunts. I want to dual wield Crom Faeyr and the Flail of Ages!!!

rossman has a ventrilo server - so we could all use that to communicate. otherwise, coordinating would be pretty messy.

im not sure if you can dual class as a human ranger--->cleric. i'll check though :)

i just called it "BG2 AT Style" for fun :). Normally it *is* an SP game (and was designed as such). I've never tried BG2 multiplayer.

Originally posted by: lupi
I haven't even gotten around to insÞalling II yet but I'd be interested depending on when the playing is done.

sometime when we can all play - most likely weekends i guess.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: aCynic2

I'm cornfused...

If I were to do this...

Let me think.

rossman has a ventrilo server - so we could all use that to communicate. otherwise, coordinating would be pretty messy.

im not sure if you can dual class as a human ranger--->cleric. i'll check though :)

i just called it "BG2 AT Style" for fun :). Normally it *is* an SP game (and was designed as such). I've never tried BG2 multiplayer.

Originally posted by: lupi

sometime when we can all play - most likely weekends i guess.

Yeah, ranger -> cleric works; it's a great combo since you get all possible cleric spells. You can either multi or dual, I'm not sure which (maybe both?).

I've always wondered about BGII multiplayer too. I assumed it was something like everyone just controls a character and does there own stuff, but that might get a little messy. My belief was that to save and continue a game, all players present at the game start had to be there, but now that I think about it, that's a bit constraining.

EDIT: A peek at the player permissions options makes it look like everyone's free to control their own character (if full permissions are given, anyway). I'm still reading about a bunch of stuff, though - I found a MP Gameplay thread in the BioWare forums. Seems like they're pretty long.

MP thread 1 thread 2 thread 3 thread 4

Happy reading... I'll probably spend a good bit of my afternoon browsing through these.

chocobaR

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2001
I'd play if you're short on one guy and the playing schedules allow me to. I'd probably play a Paladin, Inquisitor.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I'm out saturday during the day, but other than that I'm good to go. Normally play a magic user type as my main char in these types of games.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Yey! From what we've discovered in our test session, here are some guidelines and such. No particular order.

1) At first we couldn't get the session to work; then I patched up my game (using the link in the OP) and Fenixgoon opened some ports and it worked. Not sure if all of us have to do this, because I didn't, but the host probably will. And having everyone patched up is probably essential too.

2) My guess on player control - from what I've read in the BioWare MP threads, it seems like people can just pop in whenever they want. This means we can technically have as many people as we want playing the game. There might be a few discrepancies in levels and party balance, but it shouldn't really matter... the more people in on the fun, the better!

3) Character importing - there are several options when importing a character. 1. Stats, 2. Stats and experience, 3. Stats, experience and items. For the sake of balance, we should probably just do stats, but since Insane is such a hard difficulty level, I'm thinking we could standardize the experience level using cheats (gasp!). Maybe we could start out at level 10 or 100k experience or whatever seems alright.

4) Playing times - since it seems like anyone can drop in on the game, it would be great if someone could make a schedule with everyone's playing times. It'd also be a good idea to have a message board for when people can't make a session (i.e. studying for midterms, going out, watching a movie, etc etc).

5) Ventrilo - Ventrilo/AIM makes coordinating things SOOO much easier. AIM Chat rooms will also make coordinating a session easier too (since I don't expect everyone to have Vent). here's the link for RossMAN's Ventrilo server and setup instructions.

EDIT: seems like that Vent link doesn't connect you to the right place. You'll be wanting arsenic.typefrag.com, port 23193.

That's all for now. More might be added later when I have more time to think about this; right now I have an essay to write...

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Some more fooling around with characters and I've decided that I'll be a pure assassin :)
Proficiencies in Short Sword, Short Bow, Katana, Single Weapon Style
Thief skills: focusing in finding traps and moving silently/staying hidden (Assassins don't get many thief points).

I'm a halfling, but I used Shadowkeeper to change my appearance to Thief Male Human. Hope no one minds :)

As for team balance, Fenixgoon seems to like his Monk a lot :) Since we're all probably going to dump all our Charisma points, we're gonna need either a Bard or a Sorcerer for high Charisma as Team Leader (I'm assuming we can do that even if Fenix is hosting). Orrr we could just wait it out until the Ring of Human Influence.

And one more note - is it possible to turn off dialogue if someone isn't participating in it? For instance, when me and Fenixgoon were testing, I would see his dialogues with the NPCs but I couldn't select anything or do anything else. I may recall an option regarding dialogue in MP but I'm not sure.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Some more fooling around with characters and I've decided that I'll be a pure assassin :)
Thief skills: focusing in finding traps and moving silently/staying hidden (Assassins don't get many thief points).

I'm a halfling, but I used Shadowkeeper to change my appearance to Thief Male Human. Hope no one minds :)

As for team balance, Fenixgoon seems to like his Monk a lot :) Since we're all probably going to dump all our Charisma points, we're gonna need either a Bard or a Sorcerer for high Charisma as Team Leader (I'm assuming we can do that even if Fenix is hosting). Orrr we could just wait it out until the Ring of Human Influence.

And one more note - is it possible to turn off dialogue if someone isn't participating in it? For instance, when me and Fenixgoon were testing, I would see his dialogues with the NPCs but I couldn't select anything or do anything else. I may recall an option regarding dialogue in MP but I'm not sure.

we can also change the party order so if someone is a paladin for example, they could take the lead. of course, the ring of human influence fixes all ;) set CHA to 18 :D

you may also want dagger proficiency on your assman:)D) since there are several nice daggers in the game. backstabbing still works with short swords i think. all up to you, of course :) long range support is always welcome w/ the shortbow. we'll have to get the short bow of gesen for ya :D

my current playtimes

wednesday night - 8pm +
friday night - 6pm+
saturday - any time
sunday - usually hw day :(

Dec 27, 2001
How about you guys just skip the computers and do it all on pen and paper. We can do it in my parents' basement. I'll be sure to have plenty of Dr Pepper and Pringles.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006

we can also change the party order so if someone is a paladin for example, they could take the lead. of course, the ring of human influence fixes all ;) set CHA to 18 :D

you may also want dagger proficiency on your assman:)D) since there are several nice daggers in the game. backstabbing still works with short swords i think. all up to you, of course :) long range support is always welcome w/ the shortbow. we'll have to get the short bow of gesen for ya :D

my current playtimes

wednesday night - 8pm +
friday night - 6pm+
saturday - any time
sunday - usually hw day :(

I'm not a fan of daggers; never was. Thieves can backstab with Katanas, so I would love to have the Celestial Fury... :cool: The Fury plus something like Arbane's Sword so I don't get held down would be good for the inventory. Plus the boots of speed so I don't get mashed as I'm running away from a backstab. Short bows is there if we don't have many long-rangers; primarily I'll be backstabbing people because it's fun :)

My possible schedule:
Monday - 4pm to 2am (though I may be cramming for a test)
Tuesday - 4pm to 2am (though I may be cramming an essay)
Wednesday - 7pm to 1am
Thursday/Friday - 4pm to 10pm
Saturday - 2pm to 10pm
Sunday - 2pm-2am, but usually HW day as well

chocobaR

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2001
Anyways gonna install the game and play an Inquisitor solo. Let me know if you're missing someone.

EDIT: Will you guys start at the beginning or use trainers and stuff to level a bit? Cheats aren't really cool IMO =/

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
My schedule is, in general, off time: Wed 7am - Sunday 4pm, all day, all night.

Any other time I'm unavailable.