BF4 CPU usage

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
The polish benches are from Domination mode, infantry only 32players, Gamegpu.ru are conquest large.

Can't seem to understand the polish dudes, why bench a gamemode where the map , player count and game features are cut in half.

pcgameshardware tested the 64 players map with more interesting CPUs
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Battl...Beta-Test-Prozessor-Benchmarks-Cores-1091016/

they did some interesting core/thread tests, and had apparently some problems with 3M AMD CPUs.

66yc7r.png

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I went to see if there was any discussion about my inability to play BF3 because of the new battlelog and while I found some, I also saw a lot of complaints from 6300 users about 100% cpu usage and terrible stutter with lower fps.

I wonder what the deal is there, has to be code related.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I have the BF4 beta downloaded. Both rigs below have Win 8. Should I run resource manager to measure cpu usage?

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
I have the BF4 beta downloaded. Both rigs below have Win 8. Should I run resource manager to measure cpu usage?

I used the latest MSI Afterburner beta which has CPU usage monitoring. You can then have it output to a log file.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I got a bit ahead of myself. While that is what I use for BF3, it will not work for BF4 due to Afterburner not working with x64 games/apps.

OSD does not work but afterburner works fine, it registers temperature, gpu/cpu load, ram and vram usage...

it just can't register framerate, so you have to use perfoverlay.drawfps 1, or maybe fraps?

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
mantle probably all marketing sadly IMHO
You are right. ASM code was never faster than Java code. JIT compilers had no effect and ICC is useless since nothing can be faster than GCC 3.2 with -O0. ;)

DICE stupidly supports it because they never made a game before and don't know tgat DX11 is the most efficient API ever. :)

BTW, ever heard of nvapi?

so even if we could accept those results and assuming they were accurate, then what would the effects of mantle be for an fx-8/9 gpu without the dx11 overhead? I know there isnt an answer to this question yet but it looks quite promising...
There was this. saturated core, mostly at full utilization. If this is related to the DX11 limitations reg. multithreading and its internal synchronization, then Mantle could remove that last bottleneck.

But looking at DICE's slides, it looks like they want to get more out if lower specced but more widely uses hardware incl. laptops. One with vast CPU power might not have a significant benefit.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Where are you guys seeing CPU usage tracking in MSI AB?

All I see is GPU1 and GPU2 and it still won't pick up on my HD4600 usage even though it's using quick sync to encode video for me (great addition).

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
It's listed under the chart. Win 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate.

Ehm, just in front of my eyes. Thx mate ;)

Ok, i have just closed core 7 and 8 from the FX8350 to simulate the FX6xxx. I have Win 8, have a look. It seams to me that Win 7 has a scheduler problem with the FX in general.

FX8350 @ 4.4GHz, mem @ 1866 10-11-10
GTX480 default with 331.40
Win 8 64bit

6-cores
krwi.jpg

8-cores
eclr.jpg

But, framerate only tells half the story. With 6-cores the game was lagging, the movement was like you had glue in your boots, that's the best description i can make of it, sorry ehehehe

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
Where are you guys seeing CPU usage tracking in MSI AB?

All I see is GPU1 and GPU2 and it still won't pick up on my HD4600 usage even though it's using quick sync to encode video for me (great addition).

Make sure you have 3.0.0 Beta 15. Go to the Monitoring tab in the options menu and scroll down the list past CPU temperature and Usage will be there. You'll have to check it to mark it for monitoring and then enable in on the OSD.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Damn glad a useful program finally came out with a monitor for cpu usage, updating msi ab as we speak:) Thanks for posting about this.

rancherlee

Jul 9, 2000
Ehm, just in front of my eyes. Thx mate ;)

Ok, i have just closed core 7 and 8 from the FX8350 to simulate the FX6xxx. I have Win 8, have a look. It seams to me that Win 7 has a scheduler problem with the FX in general.

FX8350 @ 4.4GHz, mem @ 1866 10-11-10
GTX480 default with 331.40
Win 8 64bit

6-cores
krwi.jpg

8-cores
eclr.jpg

But, framerate only tells half the story. With 6-cores the game was lagging, the movement was like you had glue in your boots, that's the best description i can make of it, sorry ehehehe

Nice comparison. seems to be a hiccup with the 6 core chips in beta. 2 different sites showed the 4350 and 6300 almost dead even in performance with the 8350 having HUGE lead over both, Id expect the 6300 be somewhere in the middle of those 2 performance wise, granted the 6300 is only 3.5g vs 4.0g but it should have SOME lead on the 4350. I'm looking to grab a 6300 as a cheap upgrade but might just go 8320 instead. Curious to see what the final build performance is, my Phenom II isn't quite enough and my 1100/1600 7950 is only running at 60-70% with every setting maxed in 1920x1080

Durp

Jan 29, 2013
hwinfo + afterburner is still a much better tool to monitor CPU performance in game because you can keep an eye on each core's clock speed as well as the total CPU usage while the built in sensors of afterburner can't do either.

Sueff

Oct 5, 2013
What windows did they use ??? Win 7 ?? I cant find where they state the specs used for the review.

They used Win7, you can see the hardware and software used at the bottom of the pic.

And as for the FX-6xxx, the problem is that the BF4 Beta doesn't recognice the 6 cores and manages it like an 8 core which leads to the FX-6xxx breaking down under the load.
A workaround for the beta is to switch off module 3 in the bios. Obviously you will only have the performance of a FX-4xxx but at least it's playable.

Edit: BTW, long time reader, first time writer. Love this forum!

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
They used Win7, you can see the hardware and software used at the bottom of the pic.

And as for the FX-6xxx, the problem is that the BF4 Beta doesn't recognice the 6 cores and manages it like an 8 core which leads to the FX-6xxx breaking down under the load.
A workaround for the beta is to switch off module 3 in the bios. Obviously you will only have the performance of a FX-4xxx but at least it's playable.

From my testing with Win 8 it seams that BF4 Beta fully recognize the 6 Cores. I will say it is a Win 7 problem, perhaps it will be solved with the BF4 official release.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013

welcome, I believe they would call you a lurker...

Sueff

Oct 5, 2013
From my testing with Win 8 it seams that BF4 Beta fully recognize the 6 Cores. I will say it is a Win 7 problem, perhaps it will be solved with the BF4 official release.

Well it seems to recognize them but overload them thinking it's an 8 core. But could also be a Win 7 problem. Whatever it is, I'm sure it will have been adressed in the gold version.
Did you try playing the game with 6 and 4 cores? Which one runs more fluent?

Maybe it's just me (and I'm no native speaker, hence the info on the German article) but lurking sounds kind of negative. :)

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
Well it seems to recognize them but overload them thinking it's an 8 core. But could also be a Win 7 problem. Whatever it is, I'm sure it will have been adressed in the gold version.
Did you try playing the game with 6 and 4 cores? Which one runs more fluent?

Maybe it's just me (and I'm no native speaker, hence the info on the German article) but lurking sounds kind of negative. :)

not a negative imho
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker

Sueff

Oct 5, 2013

OK :)
BTW, since I'm seeing so many APU links, anyone tested this with an A10, yet?
Thing is, I bought my cousin a transition PC for Generals and Anno 1404 with an A4-5300 (20 bucks on ebay)/FM2-MB/2400Mhz-RAM until Generals 2 (or Command & Conquer f2p) arrives. I actually wanted to switch to Kaveri next year but since they won't support FM2 boards I'm planning to go with Richland.
Since C&C will also have FB3 Engine I'm kind of interested how well it will work. CPU Power shouldn't be a big problem since you usually only play with 3-7 enemies but what about GPU? Anyone tested some fps on low? (his native resolution is 1280x1024)
Would have been nice with Kaveri supporting Mantle, but his budget is very limited.

Sorry for going off topic a little, but I actually only wanted some APU results for BF4 which is on topic.