bf2 and my computer dont like each other.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
my specs:
Shuttle ST20G5
AMD64 3200+ venice
OCZ VS 1GB PC-300/DDR400
ATI X800XL 256mb
Seagate 80gig ATA150

temps:
CPU 34 °C (93 °F)
GPU 39 °C (102 °F)
GPU Ambient 36 °C (97 °F)

When I am playing bf2 demo outa no where I get 20fps when i had 80-90 i can press escape and than press it again and go back in my settings are at meduim 800x600 @ 85Hz. This happens outa no were sumtimes it goes back to 80-90fps. I notcied my northbridge runs hot that wouldnt have anything to do with this right? my friend has an alienware P4 2.8C, 9600xt, corsair vs 1GB ( i used to have this ram had same problem ). My question is what is causing this what is the problem how can i fix this? it's really starting to bug I paid for this comp all from me a 16year old kid with no job and i want it to run like it cost me 1,000+ dollars.

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
May I ask what power supply?

Along with did you enable AA or AF, along with vsync?...
Turn on catalyst A.I. (it helps)

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I have nvidia but make sure if you have same settings for quality;

high performance, medium, quality, high quality that it is NOT set to 'high quality' but simply at quality

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Ricemarine
May I ask what power supply?

Along with did you enable AA or AF, along with vsync?...
Turn on catalyst A.I. (it helps)

SilentX 240W.

no all med settings no aa/af.

edit: vsync off and wha tis A.I.? I dont use catalyst control panel i use the other control panel :)

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Frackal
Isn't 240w pretty damn low ?

yes, but it preforms higher than 240W trust me there is people who use alot more wattage than i do.

I reinstalled bf2 and dx9 think maybe it was dx9 and went to play no lag as of yet but i only played for couple min will play later on.

JBDan

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2004
Has the demo always done this? Single/multi player? Got the latest catalyst's? I've heard horror stories about the demo acting up with many-a-folks, although it hasn't on me.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: JBDan
Has the demo always done this? Single/multi player? Got the latest catalyst's? I've heard horror stories about the demo acting up with many-a-folks, although it hasn't on me.

I have latest drivers, um ya its pretty bad i noticed that it set my connection speed to T1 which lagged me got the network connection error pop-up screen every 3 sec so i fixed that now this was happening lets see what happens after this. Should i enable or disable EAX support? sound quality med? what settings should i use? 800x600 @ 85Hz everything else med settings.

JBDan

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2004
Your cpu, your RAM, your GFX card I would go 1024x768@85Hz>>all settings on med>>draw distance at 50-75%>>v-sync disabled>>EAX disabled>>sound quality on medium. Thats just me. Have not owned an ATI for quite sometime, but know there are driver settings that can and will improve performance at the cost of image quality. If you normally play @ 800x600, image quality is not a priority for you. Worst comes to worst, I would reinstall and make sure your AV is off.

JGruber

Banned
Aug 22, 2005
I installed BF2 Demo, to do a test to see if I have the problem. I dont have any problems with it at all. All settings Maxxed out too. I think it could be a PSU issue, or even Ram. I would try what JBDan mentioned.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
You don't need more RAM. Try updating Punkbuster manually. Instructions here.

why would that make my fps go down? lol sorry just didnt make since.

Mar 10, 2005
Because PB updates while you play. There are problems with the PB client for BF2, so manual updating just before you play means it won't happen in the game. The client sees you have the latest files, and won't bog down with verification, downloads, file overwrites, registration et cetera.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: w00t
Originally posted by: JBDan

I have latest drivers, um ya its pretty bad i noticed that it set my connection speed to T1 which lagged me got the network connection error pop-up screen every 3 sec so i fixed that now this was happening lets see what happens after this. Should i enable or disable EAX support? sound quality med? what settings should i use? 800x600 @ 85Hz everything else med settings.

still lags but not in singel player sumthing is wrong. probably stupid demo version :)

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
Because PB updates while you play. There are problems with the PB client for BF2, so manual updating just before you play means it won't happen in the game. The client sees you have the latest files, and won't bog down with verification, downloads, file overwrites, registration et cetera.

k, I just updated it i will try it out tommrow.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Battlefield 2 runs on my computer just fine.

Pentium III(s version!) Tualatin Core 512k Full Speed Cache 1.4GHz on 133mhz bus
1 Stick 512MB Crucial CAS2 PC133
Crucial ATI 9700 PRO 128mb 256BIT.
Hitachi 7k250 PATA
Windows 2000 Professional

JustinSane45

Aug 4, 2005
You need more RAM man. 2 gigs does the trick. I swear. I used to get hardcore lag in BF2 with 2x512 sticks of OCZ. Now that I have 2 gigs no lag at all.

orangat

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2004

yes, but it preforms higher than 240W trust me there is people who use alot more wattage than i do.

I reinstalled bf2 and dx9 think maybe it was dx9 and went to play no lag as of yet but i only played for couple min will play later on.

240W is too low even if its a reputable brand.

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: orangat

That is not necessarily true, Dells come with PSU's of that size, even when they are optioned out.

As far as the RAM issue, I don't see it as being a problem here because your settings are relatively low. Hit Ctrl Alt Del and click on the performance tab. Leave it open and run BF2 as you normally would. After playing look at the Peak Committ Charge, if it is higher than 100000 then you are hitting the pagefile and need an upgrade, prob another 512 would be in order if it is needed at all. I needed it but that is because I had my settings up quite a bit with a oc'd 6800GT to Ultra speeds.

As far as settings I would disable dynamic shadows (taxes at a pretty good rate) and set the draw distance to 100%.

orangat

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2004
Originally posted by: dnuggett

That is not necessarily true, Dells come with PSU's of that size, even when they are optioned out.

Dell rates its power supplies according to their _sustained_ output not _maximum_ output like most other companies. So do you know how SilentX is rated?

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040504/ati-x800-09.html shows the typical power draw of an X800pro/XT to be 240-263W. The XL should be somewhere around that.
So even if the Silentx is rated for sustained output his power supply is barely sufficient. If the SilentX is rated for maximum output, its a disaster waiting to happen.
So get a new Seasonic, Enermax, PCPC or Fortron if you're on a budget.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004

Dell rates its power supplies according to their _sustained_ output not _maximum_ output like most other companies. So do you know how SilentX is rated?

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040504/ati-x800-09.html shows the typical power draw of an X800pro/XT to be 240-263W. The XL should be somewhere around that.
So even if the Silentx is rated for sustained output his power supply is barely sufficient. If the SilentX is rated for maximum output, its a disaster waiting to happen.

You dont understand i own a shuttle i cant just put an atx psu without heavy modding trust me i have seen people way more hd's than me i dont even run a cd-rom drive. take a look at sfftech.com

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004

You dont understand i own a shuttle i cant just put an atx psu without heavy modding trust me i have seen people way more hd's than me i dont even run a cd-rom drive. take a look at sfftech.com
edit: i have the money for 2gigs but it was gonna go towards a dell 2005fpw.