bf2 and my computer dont like each other.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crescent13

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: w00t
Originally posted by: Ricemarine
May I ask what power supply?

Along with did you enable AA or AF, along with vsync?...
Turn on catalyst A.I. (it helps)

SilentX 240W.

no all med settings no aa/af.

edit: vsync off and wha tis A.I.? I dont use catalyst control panel i use the other control panel :)

Um, I tried a x700pro and it constantly went black on me with a 300W power supply. That's your problem right there, considering also that x800xl requires at LEAST 350 from a good brand, and I've never heard of slientX. Get a 400watt antec and you will be all set.

EDIT: HAHAHA, It's ironic you're in the same problem I am. I have a E-machines matx case, and I need a stronger power supply but couldn't do it with the case. My computer crashes under heavy load.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
http://img159.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wtf4eq.jpg

I dont think its my psu but i have this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103486 in another computer i could use it and see what happens and if that is the problem i will buy a psu and end up modding my case to fit it.

update: just tested out that other psu i got it all plugged in and noticed it didnt have sata connectors i thought it came with some so i looked around. than i tried using the shuttle psu for the hd and the rest for the sparkle didnt work should of known but it was worth trying. I dont think its the powersupply there is people who are running a ST20G5 that use alot more power than i do.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
Yeah whatever. Buy all the RAM you want.

It does not matter with this game how much ram you have. 512 performs the same as 10gb. Battlefield 2 is GPU Dependant.

Mik3y

Banned
Mar 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Frackal
Isn't 240w pretty damn low ?

its far more than enough for his system. shuttle makes VERY high quality psu's. that 240W is enough to support the x2 4800+, 2gb ram, raptor hd, optical drive, media reader, sound card, and the highest end ati card. ati because nvidia cards eat up power like no other.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Crescent13

SilentX 240W.

edit: vsync off and wha tis A.I.? I dont use catalyst control panel i use the other control panel :)

Um, I tried a x700pro and it constantly went black on me with a 300W power supply. That's your problem right there, considering also that x800xl requires at LEAST 350 from a good brand, and I've never heard of slientX. Get a 400watt antec and you will be all set.

EDIT: HAHAHA, It's ironic you're in the same problem I am. I have a E-machines matx case, and I need a stronger power supply but couldn't do it with the case. My computer crashes under heavy load.

E-machines! They were never meant to be upgraded, just thrown away. E-machines were never meant to play games eiter.

Playing games on an E-machine is like showing up to a Formula 1 race ready to compete driving in a Pickup Truck.

Mik3y

Banned
Mar 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Crescent13

SilentX 240W.

again, do some research on the psu. that 240W is far more than enough for his system and for an x700 pro. its not all about the wattage.

JBDan

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2004
IMO Your psu is fine and your amt of RAM is fine/even better. Try to reinstall yet?

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: duckdown

LOL I doubt it's the lack of 2GB of RAM either

Try disabling FAST WRITES

where do i do that? I googled that found out its in your bios or you catalyst menu. I didnt find it in either these are the options for my video card drivers screenshot

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: JBDan
IMO Your psu is fine and your amt of RAM is fine/even better. Try to reinstall yet?

ya, about 2 times.

edit: I needa get this fixed soon i cant take it anymore i feel there is sumthing wrong with my computer.

fuzzynavel

Sep 10, 2004
If in doubt then put the game to its lowest settings....then put the draw distance to max....try it again...then up some more settings....

From what I have heard about shuttle PSU's they offer a far more efficient power supply than 90% of desktop ATX PSU's.....

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Googer

It does not matter with this game how much ram you have. 512 performs the same as 10gb. Battlefield 2 is GPU Dependant.

This statement is totaly inaccurate. To say the game is more GPU dependednt than CPU dependent may be a fair statement, but that relates nothing to RAM. BF2 is a RAM dependent game when dealing with the level of video settings. It may be that the settings you have the game running at do not require a bump in RAM but as you gear those settings towards high and/or increase the draw, the RAM requirements jump. With a 6800GT oc'd to Ultra and high settings with 100% draw it was using more than 1GB of RAM. Hitting the page file and coming to a screeching halt (10-15 FPS) is one of the more annoying experiences a gamer faces. You will abslotely deal with that in BF2 without proper RAM amounts coinciding with higher video settings.

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: JBDan

ya, about 2 times.

edit: I needa get this fixed soon i cant take it anymore i feel there is sumthing wrong with my computer.

Have you done the pagefile test I suggested? We can rule out RAM usage at that point.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
there is a possibility of a ram issue, or should i say running out of ram. even when i had my 9800pro in an played 800x600 i would hit 970MB with a machine that idled @ 250MB of ram. now that i have my x800xtpe and run @ 1280x960 6AA most settings on high, 100% distance, no shadows or dynamic lighting in normally hit over 1GB, but don't feel it, and i attribute this to the fact that i have a fast scsi hdd that is defragged at least 1x weekly.

if you are hitting your pagefile a lot and the hdd is not defragged you will probably notice this type of problem

Ram Usage

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Battlefield 2 runs on my computer just fine.

Pentium III(s version!) Tualatin Core 512k Full Speed Cache 1.4GHz on 133mhz bus
1 Stick 512MB Crucial CAS2 PC133
Crucial ATI 9700 PRO 128mb 256BIT.
Hitachi 7k250 PATA
Windows 2000 Professional

what settings?

you have to remember that those 1.4Tualatins were beating the 1.7-1.8 P4s easy, and win2kpro is much leaner than xp (which i prefer 2k over xp but have to run xp because of premiere pro :( )

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Waylay00
Remember y'all, he said that his problem only occurs in multiplayer.

multiplayer uses more ram... because you are usually on the large 32-64 player maps ( i have tested this )

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003

This may be precisely what is causing the problem. There is an issue with a very small amount of setups that experience the same type of problem he is having. It appears to have the same symptoms a low RAM/pagefile issue, only thats not it. I just got through troubleshooting a system along with a tech from the ISP. I took care of troubleshooting the hardware /software and left the tech to the network. I'm not going to catalog everything I did, becasue it was about 2 days worth of troubleshooting and covered everything. In this guys's case there was no apparent solution for except a format and reinstall of the OS. Troubleshooting all the hardware, OS and network (from all standpoints) did not fix the issue. It seems to be happening in XP, but may be an issue with the NT Kernel.

Before we go to those lengths he needs to give us the RAM readings.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: dnuggett

This may be precisely what is causing the problem. There is an issue with a very small amount of setups that experience the same type of problem he is having. It appears to have the same symptoms a low RAM/pagefile issue, only thats not it. I just got through troubleshooting a system along with a tech from the ISP. I took care of troubleshooting the hardware /software and left the tech to the network. I'm not going to catalog everything I did, becasue it was about 2 days worth of troubleshooting and covered everything. In this guys's case there was no apparent solution for except a format and reinstall of the OS. Troubleshooting all the hardware, OS and network (from all standpoints) did not fix the issue. It seems to be happening in XP, but may be an issue with the NT Kernel.

ok, how do i know if i am hitting the pagefile? just tell me how and i will do it and how do i turn off fastwrites?

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003

ok, how do i know if i am hitting the pagefile? just tell me how and i will do it and how do i turn off fastwrites?

after you game for some time, hit ctrl-alt-del and then click on the performance tab. under "Commit Charge (K)", look at peak. if it is over 1,000,000 then you are hitting the pagefile

this is mine when i peaked @ 1.4GB of ram usage

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: bob4432

after you game for some time, hit ctrl-alt-del and then click on the performance tab. under "Commit Charge (K)", look at peak. if it is over 1,000,000 then you are hitting the pagefile

k, I will go do it right now.

edit: video settings
task manager
taskmanager2
is this bad?

xTYBALTx

May 10, 2005

It runs even better with 256mb.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003

task manager
taskmanager2
is this bad?

did you feel/see the drop in fps during this time?

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004

task manager
taskmanager2
is this bad?

did you feel/see the drop in fps during this time?

yes it drops to 15-20-30.
here is another screenshot click
that is with these settings: click
another thing i notice is when i close bf2 windows is real slow and sluggish.