bf2 and my computer dont like each other.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bfonnes

Aug 10, 2002
maybe it is just lonely... get your bf2 a gf2 and they'll live happily ever after??? lol, j/k

BFonnes

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by: w00t
Originally posted by: bob4432
Originally posted by: dnuggett
Originally posted by: Waylay00
Remember y'all, he said that his problem only occurs in multiplayer.

This may be precisely what is causing the problem. There is an issue with a very small amount of setups that experience the same type of problem he is having. It appears to have the same symptoms a low RAM/pagefile issue, only thats not it. I just got through troubleshooting a system along with a tech from the ISP. I took care of troubleshooting the hardware /software and left the tech to the network. I'm not going to catalog everything I did, becasue it was about 2 days worth of troubleshooting and covered everything. In this guys's case there was no apparent solution for except a format and reinstall of the OS. Troubleshooting all the hardware, OS and network (from all standpoints) did not fix the issue. It seems to be happening in XP, but may be an issue with the NT Kernel.

Before we go to those lengths he needs to give us the RAM readings.

ok, how do i know if i am hitting the pagefile? just tell me how and i will do it and how do i turn off fastwrites?

after you game for some time, hit ctrl-alt-del and then click on the performance tab. under "Commit Charge (K)", look at peak. if it is over 1,000,000 then you are hitting the pagefile

this is mine when i peaked @ 1.4GB of ram usage

k, I will go do it right now.

edit: video settings
task manager
taskmanager2
is this bad?

did you feel/see the drop in fps during this time?

yes it drops to 15-20-30.
here is another screenshot click
that is with these settings: click
another thing i notice is when i close bf2 windows is real slow and sluggish.

are you running multiple monitors?

are you running any type of a program that would automatically slow down your cpu?

what does your machine score in 3dmark03 and 05?

you should definately be better off than what you are...do you have the latest catalyst 5.8 drivers?

is this only when playing online?

are you using different server or always the same one? what type of internet connection do you have?

MobiusPizza

Platinum Member
Apr 23, 2004
Originally posted by: piotrgurin
the first step is to buy another gig of ram.

nope this game runs perfectly fine with 1GB of RAM
Tried and tested. No lag except for the first 10 seconds of file swapping

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: AnnihilatorX

Again, not necessarily. If it does fine for your system at your settings, great. It is not an indication of other systems at other settings. I really wish people would get to understand these dynamics and quit making blanket statements.

For the OP XP will run sluggish after closing BF2 while the processes and RAM dump. It should return to normal in short notice though.

You are not hitting the pagefile. Once you have exhausted your troubleshooting and have not solved the problem, it is time to backup data, format and reinstall. If someone else has the time to go through all the steps you need to do to properly troubleshoot, I suggest doing that first.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: dnuggett
Originally posted by: AnnihilatorX

Again, not necessarily. If it does fine for your system at your settings, great. It is not an indication of other systems at other settings. I really wish people would get to understand these dynamics and quit making blanket statements.

For the OP XP will run sluggish after closing BF2 while the processes and RAM dump. It should return to normal in short notice though.

You are not hitting the pagefile. Once you have exhausted your troubleshooting and have not solved the problem, it is time to backup data, format and reinstall. If someone else has the time to go through all the steps you need to do to properly troubleshoot, I suggest doing that first.

I just reformated like a week ago.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
are there any other programs that may be utilizing your connection/cpu while gaming? also, are you trying different servers? there have been times when on certain servers that were not up to the task and even though my ping would be 40 the fps would drop for no apparent reason and i wouldn't even be hitting the pagefile...

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
are there any other programs that may be utilizing your connection/cpu while gaming? also, are you trying different servers? there have been times when on certain servers that were not up to the task and even though my ping would be 40 the fps would drop for no apparent reason and i wouldn't even be hitting the pagefile...

I think the problem mostly went away i went to high settings and AA top for demo version and i am getting good fps no lower than 60 once in awile it will drop to 15-20fps from like artillary but will go back soon after.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: goku2100
Having a crappy mobo sure as hell doesn't help things.

are you saying the Shuttle ST20G5 mobo is bad? cause your wrong.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
update: still getting this problem continues to bug me i can run 3dmark05 fine and 3dmark 03. farcry runs great but bf2 just hates my comp.

GamerExpress

Banned
Aug 28, 2005

Well true, but only if he is running everything on high. I have 2GB's, it will run with 1GB on medium settings.

ND40oz

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2004
Can you borrow a full copy from someone and try it out? I have no trouble running BF2 with the shuttle in my sig but I did have problems with the demo in multiplayer, but not in single player. I run all settings on high, no AA or AF at 1280x1024, distance at 100%.

Also, your psu is more then enough, don't listen to the people that know nothing about shuttles.