BF2 and BF2142 Upcoming Patch News

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: rmrf
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
Originally posted by: joutlaw
I wonder if BF2 will get widescreen support.

Thats what I want. I hate playing 4:3 on my 16:10 monitor....

Umm there's been hundreds of thread about that around the net. Just a simple google would have taken care of that.
Google

and if you didn't notice, all that does is stretch the game across a widescreen monitor. native widescreen would sure be nice in a modern game.

http://imk.cx/pc/widescreenfixer/

It's allowed by PB and it fixes widescreen for real.

To be clear, PB emailed the creator telling him it WOULD be allowed on Punkbuster-enabld servers, but they wouldn't officially support it, so as the disclaimer says, use at your own risk.

(I've used it for 1.5 years with no trouble)

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Battlefield 2
Q: Will you ever return to the old style of BF games or carry on Heroes Style?

A: Yes, we still plan to acquire IP which used to be free (coughs...Desert Combat) quality mods, start charging for them, and firing off the original developers like redheaded step children within 12 months of payoff...err hire. All the while, we will of course run said IP into the ground until it is just a mere empty and decrepit husk of its formerly joyous self.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
woa!!!! time to reinstall both games!!! I honestly never thought they'd come up with another patch. woot!

Apr 20, 2008
I bought both of these games a while back ($10 each) and thought the multiplayer was pretty decent. Now with some upgrades to my pc (cpu/ram/board/cooler) i should have flawless performance.

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
While everyone is re-installing this and waiting for the patch, check out the latest version of my favorite BF2 mod, Desert Conflict. See details at www.gamestats.ws or www.desert-conflict.org
There have been some changes lately, and a few things rumoured to be in the works. See the links for more info.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: DanDeighan
While everyone is re-installing this and waiting for the patch, check out the latest version of my favorite BF2 mod, Desert Conflict. See details at www.gamestats.ws or www.desert-conflict.org
There have been some changes lately, and a few things rumoured to be in the works. See the links for more info.

No Basra's edge? Basra's edge was the best 1942 DC mod. Shame Trauma died:(

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
Keep an eye on this thread: EA UK Forums

In recent posts, DICE employee "Bazajaytee" had to say:

Having staff to cover any major problems after release is always a key part when we release updates so releasing so close to Christmas would have been a risk we probably wouldn't want to have taken.

As for news of when it will release I'll have more information on that in the next week or so as I have to do some investigations on some things as everyone gets back from Christmas vacation.

I'll let you all know as soon as I do

-

We have one thing left to do on the update and thats to compile and build the installer for the update. So now we are very close to having something. Once we make the installer we'll do some internal testing then open it up to you all.

-

Highway Tampa will be compulsary from 1.50 onwards (as it was optional with 1.41). We are looking to make a full and incremental version of the update. The incremental with be a couple of hundred Mb while the full would be well over 500Mb

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003

Umm there's been hundreds of thread about that around the net. Just a simple google would have taken care of that.
Google

lol you should have read those links...

"Note this only stretches the display, so you will see substantial distortion."

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by: KeypoX

Google

lol you should have read those links...

"Note this only stretches the display, so you will see substantial distortion."

I have gotten used to it. Looking forward to Battlefield 2143. Or Battlefield 3.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I have used the Widescreen workaround, and it doesn't stretch the main screen, it does however stretch the HUD, especially the map. But hopefully BF2's new alleged patch will fix that.

+1 for BF3.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Spike
Originally posted by: Spike
I double-checked the date of this thread and the linked article... what the heck are they doing coming out with a patch what, years after the last one? I played BF2 in online tournaments for almost 2 years and that was over a year ago, seems so strange to hear about this again. Guess I may have to re-install it.

Anyone know if it works under Vista 64? Last time I played I was on my old pc...

Kinda like Starcraft getting that patch that came out a long time after. It's never too old to patch a game.

I'm definitly not complaining but dang, I figured the game was dead and buried long ago.

Yeah - they probably left one dev (literally) working on it so it just took forever.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: DanDeighan
Keep an eye on this thread: EA UK Forums

In recent posts, DICE employee "Bazajaytee" had to say:

Having staff to cover any major problems after release is always a key part when we release updates so releasing so close to Christmas would have been a risk we probably wouldn't want to have taken.

As for news of when it will release I'll have more information on that in the next week or so as I have to do some investigations on some things as everyone gets back from Christmas vacation.

I'll let you all know as soon as I do

-

We have one thing left to do on the update and thats to compile and build the installer for the update. So now we are very close to having something. Once we make the installer we'll do some internal testing then open it up to you all.

-

Highway Tampa will be compulsary from 1.50 onwards (as it was optional with 1.41). We are looking to make a full and incremental version of the update. The incremental with be a couple of hundred Mb while the full would be well over 500Mb

AWESOME UPDATE DAN. Thanks.

btw, wtf is he talking about regarding Highway Tampa ?

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Highway Tampa was an optional map released by EA. It has a lot of ingame Intel Ads, but they're not that bad...well they're annoying, but not extremely.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: TehMac
Highway Tampa was an optional map released by EA. It has a lot of ingame Intel Ads, but they're not that bad...well they're annoying, but not extremely.

your right about the ads. I played a few rounds this weekend on tampa and I didn't care much for it, I dont see how it can get "annoying." I think its brilliant marketing. Map is very cool and open too, love it.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
For anyone looking, Fry's B&M has BF2 (just the base) for $9.99 now.

I have been running Vista x64 Ultimate for over a year now and it works well. I think I may have had a few freezes along the way, but not bad. If you continue to have issues, check either your Vista install or drivers. I had one weird problem with explosions and hits in 2142. My screen would go black and then fade back to normal when I got shot or an explosion went off near me. It was an ant-aliasing setting problem with my Nvidia cards. I had crashes before I updated my audio drivers too.

Good luck,
EH