BF2 and BF2142 Upcoming Patch News

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Quizard

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Originally posted by: compcons
For anyone looking, Fry's B&M has BF2 (just the base) for $9.99 now.

I have been running Vista x64 Ultimate for over a year now and it works well. I think I may have had a few freezes along the way, but not bad. If you continue to have issues, check either your Vista install or drivers. I had one weird problem with explosions and hits in 2142. My screen would go black and then fade back to normal when I got shot or an explosion went off near me. It was an ant-aliasing setting problem with my Nvidia cards. I had crashes before I updated my audio drivers too.

Good luck,
EH

I has something weird happen to me in XP 64 bit where I would get black and white checkers all over my screen, but I fixed the problem

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
with Vista Ultimate I would crash repeatedly in intense situations (C4 blowing up near me, arty falling, etc). In many cases it was just random. I tried updating my drivers but still nothing. I may go back and re-try it, but then again I'm not a Vista fan yet. XP works great.

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
Originally posted by: DanDeighan
Keep an eye on this thread: EA UK Forums

In recent posts, DICE employee "Bazajaytee" had to say:

Having staff to cover any major problems after release is always a key part when we release updates so releasing so close to Christmas would have been a risk we probably wouldn't want to have taken.

As for news of when it will release I'll have more information on that in the next week or so as I have to do some investigations on some things as everyone gets back from Christmas vacation.

I'll let you all know as soon as I do

-

We have one thing left to do on the update and thats to compile and build the installer for the update. So now we are very close to having something. Once we make the installer we'll do some internal testing then open it up to you all.

-

Highway Tampa will be compulsary from 1.50 onwards (as it was optional with 1.41). We are looking to make a full and incremental version of the update. The incremental with be a couple of hundred Mb while the full would be well over 500Mb

I saw rumours on the UK board (can't link there from work) that "Bazajaytee" has been layed off in the latest round of job cuts at EA. I can only confirm that we have not seen any posts from him in more than a week. If that is the case, the BF2 patch may be cancelled, as well.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
I threw my BF2 disc at the wall eons ago, and I'm not about to give those 'hats another pile of cash for it. Glad they're staying on top of the game, but BF2 was an absolute MESS for years.

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
Keep an eye on this thread: EA UK Forums

In recent posts, DICE employee "Bazajaytee" had to say:

Having staff to cover any major problems after release is always a key part when we release updates so releasing so close to Christmas would have been a risk we probably wouldn't want to have taken.

As for news of when it will release I'll have more information on that in the next week or so as I have to do some investigations on some things as everyone gets back from Christmas vacation.

I'll let you all know as soon as I do

-

We have one thing left to do on the update and thats to compile and build the installer for the update. So now we are very close to having something. Once we make the installer we'll do some internal testing then open it up to you all.

-

Highway Tampa will be compulsary from 1.50 onwards (as it was optional with 1.41). We are looking to make a full and incremental version of the update. The incremental with be a couple of hundred Mb while the full would be well over 500Mb

I saw rumours on the UK board (can't link there from work) that "Bazajaytee" has been layed off in the latest round of job cuts at EA. I can only confirm that we have not seen any posts from him in more than a week. If that is the case, the BF2 patch may be cancelled, as well.

Nevermind. Rumour refuted. EA UK Forums

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: jbourne77
I threw my BF2 disc at the wall eons ago, and I'm not about to give those 'hats another pile of cash for it. Glad they're staying on top of the game, but BF2 was an absolute MESS for years.

really? how so? I'm having a blast fraggin' newbs

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: DannyLove

It might be great today, but the sheer sight of it on retail shelves is enough to piss me off after all the frustration with the bugs, laggy servers, inoperable server browser, terrible hitscan, etc etc etc.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001

BF2 is an awesome game definitely. I still play it even today but with Punkbuster acting crazy not connecting to servers and so many cheaters and hackers it can be a freaking mess.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000

It might be great today, but the sheer sight of it on retail shelves is enough to piss me off after all the frustration with the bugs, laggy servers, inoperable server browser, terrible hitscan, etc etc etc.

Give it a shot again then. I'm always amazed by the hate on BF2 sometimes. I started slightly late with this game (roughly a year after release) and I did go through 3-4 patches, but with every patch came something that took care of some balance, or some issue. Now, patches to me = new map and stomping grounds because I enjoy the way the game is already. Consider BF2: SF. There are still many active servers with great map rotations out there.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001

The server browser still sucks, but I've been playing since the demo and I've loved it all along. I was mad that they completely nerfed the blackhawk and made claymores into pocket nukes, but it's still a fun game. 2142? Now there's a turd.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

The server browser still sucks, but I've been playing since the demo and I've loved it all along. I was mad that they completely nerfed the blackhawk and made claymores into pocket nukes, but it's still a fun game. 2142? Now there's a turd.

:eek: I :heart: 2142 :(

Much moreso than BF2... I've been playing more 2142 recently as well.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Canai

Hey, if you like it, that's what matters. I'm just not a fan. I don't like the whole future thing, especially when it's so drab and relatively slow paced. I love the AH-1 in BF2 so much that when they came out with those attack aircraft in 2142, my heart sank.

BF2 is just about as good as it gets for me in online FPS games.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Canai
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

2142 is awesome. It's better and worse than BF2 in some ways but overall it's the best BF game ever made and will probably stay that way.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
i'm with Chaotic42 . never liked 2142. At first I had very high expectations for that game. I thought the future-istic battlefield was going to be great... then I played the demo... then I played the full version at my friends place... I enjoyed the extra kit accessories but I just didn't get into it. BF2 is real to me. Special Forces is even better than BF2 in SO many ways. To each their own. I can't wait for the patch.