BF2 and BF2142 Upcoming Patch News

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
http://www.totalgamingnetwork.com/page.php?do=dicevisit

Some screenshots of the new map and such at the above link. Here's the info on the patch:

Battlefield 2
Q: Will you ever return to the old style of BF games or carry on Heroes Style?
Battlefield is a big part of DICE?s history. So is PC gaming and while we will bring new looks and feels to Battlefield like Heroes, we will also remain faithful to the roots of Battlefield.

Q: We?ve seen many people criticizing air balance in BF2, even since version 1.0. Does DICE have any plan to adjust the balance or hitboxes on any of the air vehicles in BF2 with the latest patch?
A: We?ve seen the comments, forum posts and Youtube videos about the F35 vs J10. The main thing to remember is that the hitbox represents the size of the aircraft and the F35 is a lot bigger than the J10. Reducing the hitbox size of the F35 might look like it addresses the imbalance but will also cause other problems as it will look like missiles and bullets are passing through the F35 if the hitbox is smaller than the model.
However what we have done is taken a look at the handling of the J10 and made a few tweaks with the turning ability of the J10 which should bring the two planes into a more balanced state. We want as many people as possible in the open beta of 1.50 to try this out and let us know what they think.

Q: What are your thoughts of cheating in your games?
A: Cheating is a big problem, especially in online games as its human nature to want the advantage over other players; some do it with practice and skill, others feel cheating is the only way. Some people are just out to spoil it for others. It is something that we take very seriously and are always working to stop it from happening as much as possible.

Q: What can be done to prevent cheating in the future?
A: We will always be looking at ways of stopping as much cheating as we can with the help of Evenbalance and GameSpy as well as making updates to stop as many cheats as we can. While there is a benefit to cheating, people will keep on doing it so I don?t think we will ever see cheating go away but we can work to prevent it where ever possible in our games.

Q: What will the BF2 1.5 patch do to prevent cheating?
A: We released some information about the changes we have taken to prevent cheating on Battlefield.com. We have included a new account verification process to make sure the player is who they say they are. Server security and stability changes have been made as well as closing off other cheats based around the Commander assets. We don?t want to give away too much with what we have done to prevent cheating as we don?t want to give the upper hand back to the cheats.

Battlefield 2142
Q: Will the security measures in the forthcoming BF2 patch be implemented into 2142? Are there ANY coming updates?
A: Yes, Battlefield 2142 Update 1.51 is currently in the works and addresses security additions that Battlefield 2 has. Battlefield 2142 1.50 currently has account verification to prevent name/ID spoofing built into it.

Q: DICE is noted in the community for its imaginative games such as BF2 and Mirrors Edge. How do you encourage developers to be creative?
A: Everyone at DICE is already creative in their own ways which is why we work here! DICE is very supportive of everyone?s creativity even to the point that every week time is set aside for everyone at DICE to come up with their own game and put them forward to management. Who knows, a game that gets released in the future could have originated from an idea thought up during this process.
The cool office doesn?t hurt the creativity either. :)

Q: Do you believe modding groups such as the Sir. Community, Project Reality and Forgotten Hope have had a positive impact on the Battlefield series?
A: The modding community has been a massive boost to Battlefield over the years and the work they all do is great to see. We have worked with modding groups in the past and even been proud to release Battlefield 2142 content officially from Jason Brice and The Sir. Community. The modding community is an area we would like to support more in the future.

Battlefield Series
Q: Do you see yourselves ever returning to the WW2 or Vietnam eras?
A: It's not something we have ruled out, they are both very epic settings so it certainly is a possibility.

Q: Or do you see yourselves expanding into other conflicts like the Korean War, WW1 or maybe something fictitious like a open cold war conflict etc?
A: The conflict which has the biggest appeal to our core players is what we are going to look at. We try to listen to our players and if they want another World War 2 setting then maybe we?ll make one.

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
I find it strange that they are releasing a new BF2 map after not doing anything with the game for so long.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Sweet, I just started reinstalling BF2 when I saw this post! This is pretty cool, maybe EA isnt totally a money grabber.

I also have BF2142 installed but it just isnt the same as BF2.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Sweet, props to EA for supporting a game after all this time that does not have a monthly fee. I wonder if they are going to add "dynamic" in-game advertisements to BF2 with it....

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Sweet, props to EA for supporting a game after all this time that does not have a monthly fee. I wonder if they are going to add "dynamic" in-game advertisements to BF2 with it....

As long as they do some updates for it I wouldnt mind some well placed ads unlike what Valve did with CS1.6 and just throw them on Giant Billboards and not update the 1.6 engine.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
I double-checked the date of this thread and the linked article... what the heck are they doing coming out with a patch what, years after the last one? I played BF2 in online tournaments for almost 2 years and that was over a year ago, seems so strange to hear about this again. Guess I may have to re-install it.

Anyone know if it works under Vista 64? Last time I played I was on my old pc...

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Spike
I double-checked the date of this thread and the linked article... what the heck are they doing coming out with a patch what, years after the last one? I played BF2 in online tournaments for almost 2 years and that was over a year ago, seems so strange to hear about this again. Guess I may have to re-install it.

Anyone know if it works under Vista 64? Last time I played I was on my old pc...

Kinda like Starcraft getting that patch that came out a long time after. It's never too old to patch a game.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by: zerocool84

Kinda like Starcraft getting that patch that came out a long time after. It's never too old to patch a game.

I'm definitly not complaining but dang, I figured the game was dead and buried long ago.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Yes, it works on Vista 64. Did you play TWL or CAL? I played OMG for TWL and cL for CAL.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

You don't have to pay a monthly fee but those that sponsor servers still do.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
yep. Been following up on this for a bit, VERY EXCITED. Still play BF2: SF religiously. Never bought 2142. Played the demo and on my friends PC but never got into it. Still love the modern warfare... oh and to all those BF2 haters, a big fu :)

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
I still have problems with these games w/ Vista 64. So, unless these patches addresses those problems, no point letting PunkBuster back on my system.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

Yes, it works on Vista 64. Did you play TWL or CAL? I played OMG for TWL and cL for CAL.

Nah, never did actual leagues though I played with a fair number from CAL. I played BF2combat for about a year and then went to 21st century warfare for almost another year until they switched over to Frontlines. I just checked their site again and it looks like they switched back to BF2... figures. I may have to pick back up in one of these games again.

SeaSerpent

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2001
Sweet, cant wait...

zerogear, what problems are you having? I have Vista 64 and it runs great..

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: zerogear
I still have problems with these games w/ Vista 64. So, unless these patches addresses those problems, no point letting PunkBuster back on my system.

I had a problem where the game crashed to desktop a lot. I would hear my HD start to spin and make noise and boom crash. I never went back to Vista again cause I need my BF2. Runs perfectly fine in xp, not sure what the issue was. I updated so many video drivers and still nothing. Oh well.

rmrf

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
widescreen would make the patch worth it for sure. for those that can't get to the site from work, is there an ETA on when the patch will be dropped?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: DannyLove
Originally posted by: zerogear

I had a problem where the game crashed to desktop a lot. I would hear my HD start to spin and make noise and boom crash. I never went back to Vista again cause I need my BF2. Runs perfectly fine in xp, not sure what the issue was. I updated so many video drivers and still nothing. Oh well.

I'm too lazy to go to Vista 64 but one of my clanmates has no problems playing BF2 on Vista 64.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I'm guessing they are doing this to get people back into Battlefield, before releasing Battlefield Heroes and before they start marketing their next Battlefield game. Basically cheap advertising.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
Originally posted by: joutlaw
I wonder if BF2 will get widescreen support.

Thats what I want. I hate playing 4:3 on my 16:10 monitor....

Umm there's been hundreds of thread about that around the net. Just a simple google would have taken care of that.
Google

rmrf

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
Originally posted by: joutlaw
I wonder if BF2 will get widescreen support.

Thats what I want. I hate playing 4:3 on my 16:10 monitor....

Umm there's been hundreds of thread about that around the net. Just a simple google would have taken care of that.
Google

and if you didn't notice, all that does is stretch the game across a widescreen monitor. native widescreen would sure be nice in a modern game.