Best v6 engine all around?? and etc.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
going to be looking into getting another vehicle soon, but i would like to get one with at least a v6.Most likely a pickup truck but i havent ruled out a car of some sort
who makes the best and longest lasting v6 motor on the market?
Do any Subaru models have v6's?

which is better out of these 4x4 trucks:
Toyota Tacoma Ext Cab.
Chevy S10 Ext
Ford Ranger

*i do not want a full size truck,and will be looking for a factory certified preowned most likely.
Im also considering a Subaru Legacy. Whatever i get has to be a champ in the snow.

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
your question is blurry, best can be many things. But Id say BMW inline 6 are regarded as the best engines... (smoothnes, throttle response, fuel consumption) dunno about longest lasting but that very much depends on treatment and other things

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Everyone here will say the Toyota because anything American to them is a POS.

Ford came out high on the truck rankings on that JDPower thing released yesterday so I wold suggest them.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
(1) The best V6 in the world IMHO is the VQ35 V6 from Nissan
(2) Subaru's have flat 4's and flat 6's
(3) Of those pickups, the Tacoma Ex
(4) A Legacy would do fine in the snow as would a any of those pickups (as long as you have some weight in the bed)

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Originally posted by: B00ne
your question is blurry, best can be many things. But Id say BMW inline 6 are regarded as the best engines... (smoothnes, throttle response, fuel consumption) dunno about longest lasting but that very much depends on treatment and other things

are there any red flags on any of the above vehicles?
i know the toyotas are prone to timing belt/chain issues(from experience with my ole 4runner and others i know with toyota)
I like the s10 body style and dont mind the ranger either.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4
(4) A Legacy would do fine in the snow as would a any of those pickups (as long as you have some weight in the bed)

best based on longevity??
which model legacys have v6's?I wouldnt mind a wagon even...tho i cannot and will not afford a new subaru.(something maybe 2-5 years old depending on mileage,condition,etc.)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ncircle

which model legacys have v6's?I wouldnt mind a wagon even...tho i cannot and will not afford a new subaru.(something maybe 2-5 years old depending on mileage,condition,etc.)

(1) On longevity, I'd have to go with the Tacoma. Toyota pickups are pretty much bullet-proof, they are of excellent quality, and their resale value is EXCELLENT (for the aforementioned reasons). You don't have high resale value like that for being a crap truck;)

(2) Subaru doesn't make a V6, they make a flat-6. You can get a flat-6 in the Legacy, but only in the $30,000+ models.

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003

(1) On longevity, I'd have to go with the Tacoma. Toyota pickups are pretty much bullet-proof, they are of excellent quality, and their resale value is EXCELLENT (for the aforementioned reasons). You don't have high resale value like that for being a crap truck;)

(2) Subaru doesn't make a V6, they make a flat-6. You can get a flat-6 in the Legacy, but only in the $30,000+ models.

i agree, the toyota is the best bet out of your choices listed.

and screw the legacy, wrx = 24k$, buy it. kthxbye :beer::)

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

the only thing that rusts quicker than a jeep is a toyota truck :D:beer:

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: iamwiz82

Uhhh, whatever man

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

Uhhh, whatever man

Directly from ToyotaOffroad.com

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Uhhh, whatever man

Directly from ToyotaOffroad.com

That's news to me, although we are talking about a sample of three Toyota trucks from one family in one single geographical region
rolleye.gif

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Best all round is the 4.3L V6 Chevy. Its a 350(proven to be one of the best motors built) just missing 2 cyl's. Good torque and HP. That and you might be able to afford a new s10 (you haven't said what your budget is) as they have 0.0% and maybe $4000 off.

Now next year GM has the update replacment for the S10. It has a in-line 5cyl that makes more power then even the 4.3L

grillmasterP

Apr 2, 2000
Check out the forums at TTORA

As far as best 4x4 V6-
Stick with the Tacoma-
3.4L V6 - 190 hp (Optional supercharger available)
Toyotas are well known and have proven offroad capabilities - Look at how many guys still wheel with 80's toyota
The tacoma should offer you the best resale value, lower over maintainence and better longevity.

Based on offroading capabilites alone- Amongst stock 4wd Tacoma's, S-10's, Rangers -
Tacoma Hands Down.
99 Tacoma V6 Xtracab 4wd 5spd

feel free to ask any questions - I could go on and on about Tacomas

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
The best V6 I ever owned and worked on is the Ford 3.0L V6. I seen this engine get over 200K miles and not leak or burn oil. Only minor problem is the front of the oil pan gasket pushes out if you don't change the PCV valve every 60K.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Quixfire
The best V6 I ever owned and worked on is the Ford 3.0L V6. I seen this engine get over 200K miles and not leak or burn oil. Only minor problem is the front of the oil pan gasket pushes out if you don't change the PCV valve every 60K.

I had the displeasure of owning a 4x4 Ranger with the 3.0 in it. Most anemic damn enginge for that truck. I drove one with the 4.0 and it was world's better.

If, for whatever reason, you do get a Ranger, make sure to get the 4.0.

Then again, the 3.0 may not be bad in a 2wd.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Regs

Would that be the v-tech v6 in NSX's?
VTEC and the NSX are made by Honda, not Nissan.

I agree with NFS4, the Nissan VQ is the best all-around V6 available.
Here are Ward's Top 10 Engines for 2003. The Nissan VQ is on there, as it has been since the inception of the list in 1995.

Look here for quotes such as "Nissan engineers got it right ? incredibly, resolutely right ? from the very beginning, the day they signed off on the final design for what was to become the best V-6 engine the auto industry?s ever seen."

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: bunker

I had the displeasure of owning a 4x4 Ranger with the 3.0 in it. Most anemic damn enginge for that truck. I drove one with the 4.0 and it was world's better.

Unless Ford changed policies after 1998, the 3.0L v6 was never offered in a 4x4. What year was yours?

And Yes, the 4.0L OHV is/was the best engine to have in a 4x4 Ranger.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: bunker

Unless Ford changed policies after 1998, the 3.0L v6 was never offered in a 4x4. What year was yours?

And Yes, the 4.0L OHV is/was the best engine to have in a 4x4 Ranger.

Replaced it with an F-150 :D

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
If I was going to get a pickup it would be a domestic... foreign cars are OK... but I just don't like foreign and pickup together. A nice S10 or F150 is awsome :) However I'd probably skip the ranger... I hate them. Their good economy pickups... I had to drive one for my field tech job, and I will say they last forever and have few problems, mine was reaching up on 200,000 miles and it was a '00.

Take this from a Toyota Tech, Toyota's V6's have many problems including but not limited to the following ;

Blown head gaskets/thin cylinder head deck surfaces

Narrow oil passages which contribute to a loss of oil pressure

Poorly designed timing tensioners

Thin wall exhaust manifolds which crack on a regular basis

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Roger
Take this from a Toyota Tech, Toyota's V6's have many problems including but not limited to the following ;

Blown head gaskets/thin cylinder head deck surfaces

Narrow oil passages which contribute to a loss of oil pressure

Poorly designed timing tensioners

Thin wall exhaust manifolds which crack on a regular basis
First, welcome back Roger, it's been a little dull with out you.

Second, what is your favorite V6?