Best Rice Cooker

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
This is just Riceland rice.

Probably explains it all. You're buying rice from Arkansas, we're buying rice from vietnam/thailand/china/etc.

3-LADIES-JASMINE-RICE-25lbs.jpg

It's the drying of the rice in the road and the cars running over it and the smog and shit that makes the rice taste so damn good

woman_drying_rice_on_road_vietnam_700-01295666.jpg

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Probably explains it all. You're buying rice from Arkansas, we're buying rice from vietnam/thailand/china/etc.

I don't even order women from there.:awe:

There's these two fellers, standing on a bridge going to the bathroom.
One feller says that the water's cold, the other feller said the water's deep.

I believe one feller come from Arkansas.

Feb 19, 2001

It's the drying of the rice in the road and the cars running over it and the smog and shit that makes the rice taste so damn good

Freaking 3 ladies. That's what all the southeast asians swear by. I LOVE their Jasmine rice. But ever since buying a Zojirushi, I've been torn between good sushi rice and jasmine rice.

So for me it's either 3 Ladies or for sushi rice I buy Kohuko Rose (can be found in Costco) or Nishiki. If you want to come close to top notch rice cooked by sushi restaurants, zojirushi is how you do it at home.

And for all those people posting cheap rice cookers, they work. No doubt. They're good. Probably better than you'll ever cook in a saucepan unless you spend 10 years doing it perfecting it everyday. But once you go Zojirushi, you'll never go back.

Let's put it this way. Those of you talking about saucepans and cheap rice cookers, you're bragging about how good your white Apple earbuds are. Go try a real pair of IEMs and then come back.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Freaking 3 ladies. That's what all the southeast asians swear by. I LOVE their Jasmine rice. But ever since buying a Zojirushi, I've been torn between good sushi rice and jasmine rice.

So for me it's either 3 Ladies or for sushi rice I buy Kohuko Rose (can be found in Costco) or Nishiki. If you want to come close to top notch rice cooked by sushi restaurants, zojirushi is how you do it at home.

And for all those people posting cheap rice cookers, they work. No doubt. They're good. Probably better than you'll ever cook in a saucepan unless you spend 10 years doing it perfecting it everyday. But once you go Zojirushi, you'll never go back.

Let's put it this way. Those of you talking about saucepans and cheap rice cookers, you're bragging about how good your white Apple earbuds are. Go try a real pair of IEMs and then come back.

Same here actually. I grew up on 3 ladies but mostly eat short grain rice now. You're totally right on the zojirushi though...drop rice into cooker, turn to "sushi" setting, press "start"

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Why one over other? Jasmine and short grain are apples to oranges.

Short grain = staple of Korean/Japanese, great for their own dishes.

Jasmine = Chinese and SE Asia. Smells wonderful and that dry texture goes perfectly with Chinese food and Vietnamese dishes!

MMMMMMMMMMM Love em both.

Also, only on freakin' internet people debate over freakin' rice cookers. I've already established why people use them and why people who don't have rice as their primary diet don't really need them. Simple as that.

I've never bought long grain for home cooking. Now I know to look for the 3 ladies.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Blasphemy.

Toaster oven is great for heating up single-serving dishes- much better than heating up a whole oven.

I been thinking of getting a toaster oven. i hate firing up the oven to make small stuff for the kids. considering it takes so damn long to get hot to cook something for 10 minutes? ugh.

sure i can microwave it. but most stuff suck microwaved. i would rather go through the extra effort and make sure the kids like it and eat it.

as for rice cookers i love mine. I would read these threads and think "hmm they sound like a good idea..but a waste of $50" then i got mine. Shit i wish i got one years ago. I love it.

We eat rice 2-3 times a week. I love how i can toss it in whenever (has timer) and let it go and even let it set once its done (for hours). The rice is PERFECT time after time.

hell the other day i made some for lunch and it was still good at dinner time. ahh man i love it.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

:thumbsup: I love Jasmine rice! We've been buying Golden Star brand Jasmine rice for a while now. I'll have to try that brand though too.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I have the same Zojirush Induction Rice cooker that a previous poster had and its worth its weight in gold. Even though I'm solidly American, myself and my fiancee prefer the versatility and flavor of rice and rice-based dishes compared to potatoes, so its our main staple. We buy it about 10 pounds at a time and that lasts us for about 10 months. The rice cooker always turns out fantastic, consistent rice, and the keep warm function is invaluable.

It's awesome to be able to fix our preferred rice (brown rice), which takes about 2 and a half hours to prepare five cups of. It always comes out perfect.

When we make sushi, we can make sushi rice that comes out with the perfect texture and consistency to make into sushi roles.

Lastly, its nice that we can make several rice dishes directly in the rice cooker.

It's worth every penny I paid for it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat :)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I have the same Zojirush Induction Rice cooker that a previous poster had and its worth its weight in gold. Even though I'm solidly American, myself and my fiancee prefer the versatility and flavor of rice and rice-based dishes compared to potatoes, so its our main staple. We buy it about 10 pounds at a time and that lasts us for about 10 months. The rice cooker always turns out fantastic, consistent rice, and the keep warm function is invaluable.

It's awesome to be able to fix our preferred rice (brown rice), which takes about 2 and a half hours to prepare five cups of. It always comes out perfect.

When we make sushi, we can make sushi rice that comes out with the perfect texture and consistency to make into sushi roles.

Lastly, its nice that we can make several rice dishes directly in the rice cooker.

It's worth every penny I paid for it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat :)

No it isn't. Gold is $1,667/oz right now. It is not even close to being worth its weight in gold. However, if you want I'll gladly sell you one for its weight in gold if you like. :p

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Get a tatung. New egg sells them and most Chinese supermarkets

This company builds elevators, computer hardware, TVs and you'd think wtf how do they make rice cookers. But their rice cookers are about as good as it gets. Doesn't have all the buttons and such as the zoujurishi but they are much cheaper and basically last forever. Works as a steamer too

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Get a tatung. New egg sells them and most Chinese supermarkets

This company builds elevators, computer hardware, TVs and you'd think wtf how do they make rice cookers. But their rice cookers are about as good as it gets. Doesn't have all the buttons and such as the zoujurishi but they are much cheaper and basically last forever. Works as a steamer too

Tatung started with home appliances. Rice cooker is their forte :biggrin:

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Tatung started with home appliances. Rice cooker is their forte :biggrin:

Well yah, but its a very small part of their businesses .

My dad works for them. Has been for 27 years.... haha so I know all about them . Stainless steel rice cooker , used to be hand pounded in the 80s. They are designed to seal the top and pressurize inside as a steamer but it helps rice absorb water.

When Jack in the box sold rice bowls years ago ... they went with tatung. They are unkillable and leave rice warm and soft all day.

Foressst

Aug 8, 2014
I bought REDMOND 110 for my wife. To say that she was cheered is the same to say nothing – she tests it EVERY day – new recipe-new food-new emotions. We think it worth buying much more than rice cooker. Now I can time up it for me and children.

---

Hi,

Welcome to AnandTech Forums. I locked the thread because the previous reply was over a year ago.

Our members refer to such posts as "necro" posts, and some of them tend to post replies ranging from sarcastic to hostile, including possible accusations of spamming, whether warranted or not.

You are welcome to continue posting on our forums. Thanks for understanding. We hope you enjoy yourself on our forums. :)

Harvey
Senior AnandTech Moderator/Administrator

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.