Best Rice Cooker

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Sorry Boomer, I don't mean to single you out for your post but I still LOL every time I see someone post something like this. There are two ingredients to cooked rice: Rice and Water. The only thing you add is heat and time.

I should market a pasta cooker to Italian people. Probably make me a millionaire. :D

Except his rice cooker will provide more consistent results with zero need to think about temp and time based on the type of rice and amount. Convenience. Something your little brain can't seem to grasp.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Except his rice cooker will provide more consistent results with zero need to think about temp and time based on the type of rice and amount. Convenience. Something your little brain can't seem to grasp.

You win. I guess I'm just a master of cooking rice because I never seem to have these problems.

By the way, I've been doing my best to leave this thread alone in case you haven't noticed. :p

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
You win. I guess I'm just a master of cooking rice because I never seem to have these problems.

By the way, I've been doing my best to leave this thread alone in case you haven't noticed. :p

Shrug it's like trying to explain to a deaf person what it's like to hear. Until you've used a good rice cooker, you have no idea what you've been missing :)

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Again, you're a troll or just stupid. The fact that you can't understand why others like having a rice cooker demonstrates you're an idiot.

Boomer can just place rice/water in his cooker and hit a button. He's done. He gets consistently cooked rice.

If I want to cook brown rice, quinoa, etc. I don't have to stick around for 50 minutes cooking it on a stove. I can hit a button and do other stuff. I can prep/cook other food, go for a run, take the dogs out, etc. And when I get back, it's perfectly cooked and still warm.

Sucks to be stupid. And it's even sadder that you have to stop yourself from entering the thread when there's nothing that you can add that makes using your method, better than using a rice cooker.

When you eat out for Indian, Asian, sushi, etc, do you troll the chief/staff that you cook rice in a pot when they use a rice cooker?

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Again, you're a troll or just stupid. The fact that you can't understand why others like having a rice cooker demonstrates you're an idiot.

Boomer can just place rice/water in his cooker and hit a button. He's done. He gets consistently cooked rice.

If I want to cook brown rice, quinoa, etc. I don't have to stick around for 50 minutes cooking it on a stove. I can hit a button and do other stuff. I can prep/cook other food, go for a run, take the dogs out, etc. And when I get back, it's perfectly cooked and still warm.

Sucks to be stupid. And it's even sadder that you have to stop yourself from entering the thread when there's nothing that you can add that makes using your method, better than using a rice cooker.

When you eat out for Indian, Asian, sushi, etc, do you troll the chief/staff that you cook rice in a pot when they use a rice cooker?

:rolleyes: They say there is no such thing as a stupid question... but they're wrong.

To answer your stupid question though, of course not. I'm not cooking for 50-100 people a night though, I'm just cooking for 2 or 3, maybe 4 or 5.

Look, I'll admit that I don't have rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner so maybe you can justify it if you eat that much rice daily and you have no patience and/or don't enjoy cooking.

I won't bother you again. :p:ninja:

Last edited:

yuchai

Aug 24, 2004
Good lawd that looks nauseating. D:

I cook rice a few times a week and have yet to feel the need for a rice cooker, but I'm sure I'll end up with one especially after a few more months of effectively living in Chinatown.

KT

Prediction - once you have it you will wonder why you never had one earlier. I don't think I've ever met anyone who has used one before and then say they prefer cooking their rice on a stove (unless there's a specific reason like making Cantonese clay pot rice, for example).

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Prediction - once you have it you will wonder why you never had one earlier. I don't think I've ever met anyone who has used one before and then say they prefer cooking their rice on a stove (unless there's a specific reason like making Cantonese clay pot rice, for example).

We got one as a wedding present years ago. Used it maybe 5-10 times and then it just took up space in a kitchen cabinet until I threw it away.

I'm a white guy though... [shrug]

yuchai

Aug 24, 2004
We got one as a wedding present years ago. Used it maybe 5-10 times and then it just took up space in a kitchen cabinet until I threw it away.

I'm a white guy though... [shrug]

The sounds exactly like the blender & toaster oven at my fiancee's house. The truth is it depends on your habits. The thing with a rice cooker is that it changes your habits quickly because it's so convenient.

Anyway I'm not surprised about your experience. My thinking was based on KT saying that he makes rice several times a week. I'm guessing you don't make rice nearly as often. If you do then you're definitely an outlier *shrug*

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000

Have you used it for quinoa? I may need to reinvest in one or take mine back if it does a decent job at it. We're eating that much more often now.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Have you used it for quinoa? I may need to reinvest in one or take mine back if it does a decent job at it. We're eating that much more often now.

Yes, you need to play around with the amount of water but under the white rice setting, it comes out really well.

Renob

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I've spent up to $99 on a rice cooker it did not work well gave it away, pick up a $14 rice cooker at the local HEB have had it almost two years and makes the best rice I have ever made also works great as a steamer.. dont get caught up in spending lots of $$$ on a rice cooker

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

We used them all the time in the restaurants, but that never compelled me to buy one for home. I am eating more rice and quinoa, etc. than I used to though, so maybe that will spur me to try one out.

Need to get the wife off the Vitamix obsession first though. :hmm:

KT

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
The sounds exactly like the blender & toaster oven at my fiancee's house. The truth is it depends on your habits. The thing with a rice cooker is that it changes your habits quickly because it's so convenient.

Anyway I'm not surprised about your experience. My thinking was based on KT saying that he makes rice several times a week. I'm guessing you don't make rice nearly as often. If you do then you're definitely an outlier *shrug*

We made rice last night. We probably make rice 2-3 times a week, sometimes less, sometimes more.

This morning I asked my wife if she wanted a rice cooker, her response was, "No, don't we already have one somewhere?" I told her I threw it away years ago.

Toaster ovens are kind of a useless appliance too. I have a 4 slot toaster which is really handy but I don't see any need for a toaster oven. Blenders have their uses and we have one but I don't use it very often.

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
We made rice last night. We probably make rice 2-3 times a week, sometimes less, sometimes more.

This morning I asked my wife if she wanted a rice cooker, her response was, "No, don't we already have one somewhere?" I told her I threw it away years ago.

Toaster ovens are kind of a useless appliance too. I have a 4 slot toaster which is really handy but I don't see any need for a toaster oven. Blenders have their uses and we have one but I don't use it very often.

Blasphemy.

Toaster oven is great for heating up single-serving dishes- much better than heating up a whole oven.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Not sure if serious. No, the microwave doesn't do a better job than a rice cooker. If we're gone for a couple of hours, it's not going to stay warm. Etc...

You leave rice laying around cooked and slowly warmed for hours? Eww on that mushy sticky mess.

I just don't see the point in an expensive space-wasting specialty rice cooker, when I can get perfect rice every time in 20 minutes in a microwave. I can even leave for 20-30 minutes and do other stuff without worrying about a pot on the stove. I wouldn't cook rice and leave it much longer because you get mush. Leftover rice is gross.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Blasphemy.

Toaster oven is great for heating up single-serving dishes- much better than heating up a whole oven.

Meh, I don't do a whole lot of single serving heating. We are almost always cooking for 3. If I'm warming leftover pizza I just do it in the oven. It doesn't take more than a minute or two for the oven to heat up enough for that.

You leave rice laying around cooked and slowly warmed for hours? Eww on that mushy sticky mess.

I just don't see the point in an expensive space-wasting specialty rice cooker, when I can get perfect rice every time in 20 minutes in a microwave. I can even leave for 20-30 minutes and do other stuff without worrying about a pot on the stove. I wouldn't cook rice and leave it much longer because you get mush. Leftover rice is gross.

Never tried making rice in the microwave. I always cook it in a medium saucepan on the stove. I like Jasmine rice or Basmati and it is never mushy or gross and if you make 2 cups of rice it will stay warm for quite a while on the stove if covered.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

Because with expensive ass rice cookers, keep warm setting doesn't turn your rice into mush.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Sorry Boomer, I don't mean to single you out for your post but I still LOL every time I see someone post something like this. There are two ingredients to cooked rice: Rice and Water. The only thing you add is heat and time.

I should market a pasta cooker to Italian people. Probably make me a millionaire. :D

Jules, I felt the same way for years. I never really LIKED rice very much...and until recently, rarely ate the stuff. I DO cook it a couple of times per week for my dogs. (they get boiled/steamed white rice, boiled chicken breast, and boiled mixed veggies a couple of times per week)
Making rice on the stove was a PITA for me. Either I'd boil it over....or forget it and burn it...and even when I did it "right," the consistency was never right. :shrug: Either mushy or still hard in the center.
We have some friends who eat rice daily...they have an inexpensive rice cooker, similar to the one I posted. Their rice is perfect every time...and since they use a good quality jasmine rice, it's VERY tasty...so much so that we decided to buy a similar cooker to make rice in for us.
I went from only eating rice if we were eating in a Chinese/Japanese restaurant (3-4 times per year) to now eating rice at least once per week.

yuchai

Aug 24, 2004

It doesn't become a sticky mess, amazingly enough. It does dry out slightly over time, but the good cookers can keep the rice almost the same as if it was just cooked even over hours.

If you think microwave can make perfect rice, then it just really comes down to a few possibilities:
1. You're doing it in a way that nobody else knows how (doubtful)
2. You have a pretty low standard for "perfect" rice
3. The rice you're using isn't very good and so it really doesn't matter how it's cooked

And leftover rice isn't gross. In fact, fried rice is much better if you use leftover rice versus freshly cooked.

yuchai

Aug 24, 2004
Never tried making rice in the microwave. I always cook it in a medium saucepan on the stove. I like Jasmine rice or Basmati and it is never mushy or gross and if you make 2 cups of rice it will stay warm for quite a while on the stove if covered.

You can make great rice on the stove. But the texture still comes out different when it's from a nice rice cooker. I think you mentioned that it's all just water and heat. That's true. But how you apply the heat, when, and how much heat makes a difference. I think the rice cooker is doing it in a way that is not really possible on the stove.

Edit: What you prefer is definitely subjective though. In fact, it's possible that Asians prefer rice cooked from a rice cooker simply because they grew up eating rice that tastes like that.

Last edited:

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I prefer rice out of a rice cooker over stovetop. I've had both and the rice cooker texture is just better to me.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

This explains everything. You don't know what nicely cooked rice taste like.

Good luck cooking any type of good rice in 20 minutes in the microwave. Try and cook some brown rice and let us know how it comes out.

I don't think I've ever had mushy rice from a rice cooker. And yes, rice cookers can keep rice warm and edible for hours.

You learned something today.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
This explains everything. You don't know what nicely cooked rice taste like.

Good luck cooking any type of good rice in 20 minutes in the microwave. Try and cook some brown rice and let us know how it comes out.

I don't think I've ever had mushy rice from a rice cooker. And yes, rice cookers can keep rice warm and edible for hours.

You learned something today.

I guess I learned something today and it was so lovely having it pointed out twice.

If you consume that much rice, I guess I'll defer to your judgement. For me it would be a waste of cabinet/counter space that I already don't have enough of. I also never have a reason to cook while away.

I also meant 30 minutes which I believe is divided 10 high, 15 med, 5 sit, and takes my microwave about 2 minutes less on med.

This is just Riceland rice.

It comes out picture perfect, fluffy, not crunchy, not mushy, no water at the bottom of the bowl, not stuck or burnt to it either.

I like wild rice, but brown rice is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.