Best pre 2000 pc game?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
anybody mention the ACES seris (dynamix)
Aces of the Pacific etc..
Wolfpack (sub)
any of the early old Deltaforce games (novalogic) man i loved Ultrabots
CYCLONES!!!! (doom clone where you could shoot anywhere your cross hair moved (first of that type)

loved those Old Terminator games (even the early turn based one! terminator 2029)
DragonStrike- AD&D dragon rider simulation (by WESTWOOD!!)
populous was mentioned, PowerMonger!

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
The big list by Zenoth has a lot of nice ones but it is missing Halflife1 and Myst I think.

MalazanEmpire

Nov 5, 2013
www.digitalgambit.com
I have to admit it is a real frenzy here, everyone wants to play the old games even with a lot of new ones on the plate. Still cant get around to playing this god damn AC4 because everyone is playing the games from the thread.

This morning i had to watch an hour of RollerCoaster Tycoon haha. People are getting so nostalgic, every other moment is : "Remember when we played this and that".

Johnny4

Nov 12, 2013
Unreal Tournament (1999)
Diablo I(1996), Diablo II (2000)
Warcraft 2 (1995)
Age of Empires (1997)
Need for speed-High Stakes (1999) My favorite NFS :)

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
Since we're including games released in 2000 as well, I'll add Need for Speed - Porsche Unleashed. I've never really gotten into the other NFS games. The physics (not too realistic IMO) and the graphics are great.

LittleTinGod

Aug 27, 2013
The 2 i played the most back then on the Awesome MSN Gaming Zone were:

Star Wars Rebellion
Age of Empires - Rise of Rome Expantion

Johnny4

Nov 12, 2013
Since we're including games released in 2000 as well, I'll add Need for Speed - Porsche Unleashed. I've never really gotten into the other NFS games. The physics (not too realistic IMO) and the graphics are great.

OMG, really this game is also one of the best i used to play it for days and nights, buying and selling cars and making millions :D, nice game, MalazanEmpire if you haven`t played this game than you should definitely try it. For those times the graphics are amazing.

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001

Just a word of advice (which applies to most games mentioned in this thread): do some investigation to ensure that they will actually work on your machine before paying for them. I know NFS - PU has some issues with Win 7. I'm not sure if they can be worked around (it's been a couple of years since I last played it). It looks like there might be some patch but with some of these games (like Star Wars Rogue Squadron), getting the game to work on a newer OS can get really messy.

Last edited:

Johnny4

Nov 12, 2013
Just a word of advice (which applies to most games mentioned in this thread): do some investigation to ensure that they will actually work on your machine before paying for them. I know NFS - PU has some issues with Win 7. I'm not sure if they can be worked around (it's been a couple of years since I last played it). It looks like there might be some patch but with some of these games (like Star Wars Rogue Squadron), getting the game to work on a newer OS can get really messy.

Yes, you are right about that, i totally forgot to mention that, last time when i tried to install it on my win 7, the game started and stacked after the introduction movie. But as i remember i downloaded some file or dll. and the game started.

linthat22

Dec 2, 2011
Ultima VII: The Black Gate
Ultima VII Pt. 2: The Serpent Isle
King's Quest V
King's Quest VI
Wing Commander series
Legend of Kyrandia series
The Dig

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Dark Forces
Half Life
Star Trek: Voyager – Elite Force
No One Lives Forever
Alien VS Predator
Turok

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Lemmings.
Wolfenstein 3D.

Also needs more love for HL & Thief.

Last edited:

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Already mentioned, worth mentioning again...
Transport Tycoon Deluxe (though you are better off playing OpenTTD or Simutrans)

This game gets passed over so much, but when I had a netbook back in the day it was perfect. They are still working on this game to this day (via OpenTTD) and the multiplayer base is fierce. Even if you want to do single player the GRFs allow for an easily customizeable game. I love so many retro games, but IMO this is one of the most timeless titles ever, and the modding community is testament to that.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Not so sure i would like it today; but when I first played duke nukem around 1995 or 1996; it was GREAT !

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
Warcraft II - Tides of Darkness
Diablo I & II
Heretic was pretty neat at the time
Descent games
Doom of course

GOG.com is a great resource!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Syndicate
Fallout 1
StarCon II
Warcraft II
various Sierra games: Hero's Quest, Space Quest, etc.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
FPS - Thief TDP
RTS - Total Annihilation
adventure game - Quest for glory series
Simulator - Tie fighter
Myst style or whatever you call em - 11th Hour
RPG - Wizardry 8
Economy - Settlers 3

HamburgerBoy

Lifer