Best pre 2000 pc game?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Just about everything churned out by LucasArts for PC in the 90s was gold. They're still at the top of my list of favourite developers from that era.
-Monkey Island series
-Full Throttle
-Grim Fandango
-TIE Fighter
-X-Wing Alliance (still has a dedicated ship modding community that's updated most of the models)
-Dark Forces 1 & 2
-Sam & Max: Hit the Road

Descent was a lot of fun I remember
SimCity 2000
Half-Life
Myst was a big one I remember everyone having. I didn't but a friend had the whole series.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
This thread triggered some major nostalgia for me,had my ass on ebay looking up used 6800 ultra and 7800gs agp cards which i almost bought both of as i had both of them at one point.I know these cards came out way after 2000 but man 2006 for me was magical as this was when i got into pc gaming :)

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
My favorites pre-2000:

Doom 2
Diablo 2
Warcraft 1
Hexen
Descent
Space Quest IV
Police Quest 3
Leisure Suit Larry
Front Page Sports: Football
Laura Bow 2: The Dagger of Amon Ra
Indiana Jones
Quake 2

EDIT: Thinking about my favorite list is depressing. Games were so much better back then, and I really don't think it's a "Rose Tinted Glasses" thing either. Front Page Sports: Football was so advanced, still more advanced than any football game made today. All of the great Sierra/Dynamix games....such an exciting time /sigh

Last edited:

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Planescape: Torment. Not only is it the best game pre-2000, but it's the best game ever made (IMO).

MalazanEmpire

Nov 5, 2013
www.digitalgambit.com
Running through Diablo 2 LoD as we speak! How is this game so terrible(visuals) and so freaking addicting. Played Populous The Beginning yesterday and it was a blast. Thank the dark Lord that my athlon 2500+ still lives as it is the only machine with win xp on it.

If i had a time machine, i would go back to this golden era of games just for a couple hours a day. It would be enough i suppose. Sick and tired of waiting that one game for 6 months that delievers on some of the epic experience that i crave.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Diablo 2 came out mid-2000 and LOD came out 2001. I said Diablo 1 because I follow the rules of the threads that I post in. If it was "Best PC Game up to and including 2000" I would have said Diablo 2 and if it was "Best PC Game up to and including 2001" I would have said Diablo 2: LOD.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I remember fondly:
Unreal
RTCW (which is still very playable)
Gabriel Knight series
Longest Journey (with 7 or 8 cd's)
Half Life
NOLF
Thief
Kings Quest
Myst and Riven
System Shock

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
EDIT: Thinking about my favorite list is depressing. Games were so much better back then, and I really don't think it's a "Rose Tinted Glasses" thing either. Front Page Sports: Football was so advanced, still more advanced than any football game made today. All of the great Sierra/Dynamix games....such an exciting time /sigh

Many of the games were also original ideas even if the execution wasn't that great by today standards.

It is hard to keep producing original ideas but the improved (sometimes they aren't improvements, quite the opposite) are something already seen so they lose some of the impact less polished but original games had.

Also 50-60 great games in a decade of gaming is only 5-6 games a year (which probably is better than we get now per year).

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Thief: The Dark Project (though you'll probably want to go with Thief Gold which has some extra missions) is one of the finest, most memorable games I've ever come into contact with...

Great atmosphere, great story, incredibly scary at parts, and one of those "lightning in a bottle" moments IMO. Everything came together to make an absolutely seminal experience.

I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Next month, a guy named Bentraxx is putting out a big texture pack for it if you want to play it looking prettier.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Diablo 2 came out mid-2000 and LOD came out 2001. I said Diablo 1 because I follow the rules of the threads that I post in. If it was "Best PC Game up to and including 2000" I would have said Diablo 2 and if it was "Best PC Game up to and including 2001" I would have said Diablo 2: LOD.

Good for you. While you are following the "rules of the threads", you should also read the OP.

From OP: "They can be around 2000, it is still pretty old !"

Last edited:

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Many of the games were also original ideas even if the execution wasn't that great by today standards.

It is hard to keep producing original ideas but the improved (sometimes they aren't improvements, quite the opposite) are something already seen so they lose some of the impact less polished but original games had.

Also 50-60 great games in a decade of gaming is only 5-6 games a year (which probably is better than we get now per year).

Did you ever get the Sierra game magazine that would come in the mail? Man those were some good times, they were cranking games out like crazy. Take a look at this list:
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sierra_Entertainment_video_games

I'm afraid we will never see a true gaming powerhouse company again, for a myriad of reasons. It's too bad, my kids won't ever get to experience the joy that I had during the heyday of PC gaming.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Common, too many to list!

-Warcraft 2
-Simcity 2000
-Half Life
-Duke 3D
-Quake CTF
-Civ2
-Quest for Glory series
-Any Bioware/Black Isle game