Best place to bring pc parts to have assembled?

• Total voters

SearchPyriscent

Dec 1, 2016
I have parts for a high end PC and I was thinking about taking them to micro center but was scared off by bad reviews. Yes I know how to build, I just can not justify the time and energy. My previous build gave me more problems than it was worth, defective parts, bios issues etc. I have considered Fry's but I can't find any reliable reviews.

Question: Where is the best place to bring brand new in box PC parts to be assembled? I would prefer the cost be under $120 and the shop be reputable, highly rated and offer a warranty or guarantee on their service.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Why not just do it yourself? It's not hard, just take your time and double check everything.

SearchPyriscent

Dec 1, 2016
Why not just do it yourself? It's not hard, just take your time and double check everything.
I do not have that time any longer. I wish I did. The build is easy, that isn't the problem. Its the time to troubleshoot, open boxes, send in rebates etc. that I don't have time for.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
there are many builders like puget, digital storm, and origin that will custom build a box to your specs. Buying the parts and then trying to take them down to the local electronics store is asking for trouble.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
It's probably been 20 years since I had someone build a computer for me, but they provided the hardware and software. I just told them what I wanted and paid for it. If you're providing the parts, you'll still have to deal with the rebates and defective parts wouldn't you?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I do not have that time any longer. I wish I did. The build is easy, that isn't the problem. Its the time to troubleshoot, open boxes, send in rebates etc. that I don't have time for.

Not sure I follow your goal. If you don't have a couple of free hours to build a computer, send in a MIR, open several boxes, why did you take the time to research parts and order them? Why not simply order a pre-built system like iBuypower, Dell, Alienware, HP, or Cyberpower?

Now you will have to take your parts somewhere, possibly wait for days, pay extra money (all for $120 for building and installing OS/drivers?), and then have to go pick it up. If you have a problem with a component, you still will have to RMA it (they won't warranty the parts). With a pre-built, you could have simply bought the PC, an on-site warranty, had to only open one box (too busy to open multiple boxes, remember), and plugged it in.

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Also, most builders that I know will not do such work with your parts. Part of their margin is getting the parts. With your situation, the best solution is to find a friend who can build it for you for a fee. UsandThem's suggestion is a good one.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
You will have to build it yourself. No reputable shop will be willing to take all the time to build and setup/troubleshoot a PC for such a low price. You either pay a per hour charge and hope nothing goes wrong (or be willing to pay the however-many-hours it costs to set everything up if things do go wrong), or end up with a useless computer.

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
You will have to build it yourself. No reputable shop will be willing to take all the time to build and setup/troubleshoot a PC for such a low price. You either pay a per hour charge and hope nothing goes wrong (or be willing to pay the however-many-hours it costs to set everything up if things do go wrong), or end up with a useless computer.
It would be easier to build it yourself anyway.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
They posted the same thing over on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/5g0q7c/best_place_to_bring_pc_parts_to_be_assembled/

I've seen many people over the years buy parts and then come here because they got in over their head, or were confused on how to connect something or install the OS/drivers. However, within a few hours most get their system up and running, and get that feeling of pride that they actually built their 1st computer.

However, this is the first time in 16 years I have seen someone buy all the parts, state they are just too busy to even open boxes or send in a mail-in-rebate, let alone actually build the actual computer. I think I have officially reached the end of the internet. Nothing else left to see. ;)

It sounds like they should look into hiring a personal assistant. :beercheers: